100 Birthday Quotes | Happy Birthday, My Friend!
It’s your friend’s birthday, and birthdays are certainly important. Thus, you want to post the right words on his or her social media page. Or you wish to send that person the right text message to create a heartfelt moment. However, wishing can be challenging. How do you find those right words? After all, you may have shared a great many birthday messages in the past. How do you keep from repeating yourself over and over again?
Hopefully, the collection of messages below, arranged in several categories, will give you some new ideas and some inspiration. In the end, the perfect sentiment can be as gratifying as any birthday present.
- 1 “Happy Birthday” Short Quotes for a Friend
- 2 Happy Birthday, Dear Friend!
- 3 Happy Birthday, Old Friend
- 4 Unique Happy Birthday Wishes for Friends
- 5 Happy Birthday for a Friend Far Away
- 6 What to Write in a Birthday Card for a Friend
- 7 Birthday Sayings for Friends
- 8 Touching and Meaningful Birthday Messages for Your Best Friend
- 9 Happy Birthday Paragraphs for your Best Friend
- 10 Famous Birthday Quotes for your Friends
“Happy Birthday” Short Quotes for a Friend
Cut to the chase with these original birthday messages for your friend.
- At this time of year, your age is one year more than mine. That makes it my favorite part of the year!
- I had no idea what to get you this year, so you will have to settle with an IOU.
- Can’t wait to see your face when you realize my gift makes me a better friend than you are.
- If this is early or late, it’s because I forgot the right day.
- It takes two to tango. So hurry up and find a date so we can double up.
- I might not be around, but I’m still sending you love from where I am.
- It doesn’t take a genius to know what to get you on your birthday. So next year try losing the lists.
- If you have other friends that’s fine, just know I’m the best and I love you more.
- Your dreams are going to light the world on fire. Don’t forget to light your own candle and celebrate your birthday along the way. Happy birthday to the best friend ever!
- You are my sister from another mother. Thanks for all you do and all you are.
- You are my brother from another mother. Happy birthday to a truly great friend.
- Kudos to us for sharing a friendship that’s lasted this long.
- There’s no keeping secrets from you because you know me better than myself. Thank you for everything and have a very happy birthday.
- When it starts to rain I’ll be your umbrella. You’ve always been mine so today it’s my turn because it’s your birthday. Wishing you a joyous day, friend.
Happy Birthday, Dear Friend!
These thoughts should work well for a close friend, if not necessarily your best friend.
- Happy birthday to a person who makes so many other people happy throughout the year — and I’m definitely one of them!
- It’s a cliche to say someone keeps getting better with age. But, in your case, it’s also the absolute truth. Have a birthday for the ages!
- The year ahead is sure to contain new adventures, new discoveries, and a lot of surprises. I can’t wait to share the journey with you every step of the way.
- I hope you receive lots of great gifts this year. And know that being your friend is one of the greatest gifts that I’ve ever received.
- I hope all of your birthday wishes come true. And if they do, please wish a million dollars for me next year!
- You have something in common with your birthday candles: You light up a room. And you have something in common with your cake: You’re as sweet as could be!
- This year I’m sending you plenty of warm thoughts and smiles. It’s cheaper than sending you a new car.
- What do wine, pizza, chocolate, and you have in common? I wouldn’t want to live without any of them! Have the best of birthdays, my friend.
- Posting on social media is better than sending a birthday card. No one’s disappointed finding out there’s no cash. Anyway, have a terrific birthday!
- This morning, I woke up with a song in my heart. And then I realized why: It’s your birthday! Have an excellent one.
- I know you’re getting tons of social media posts today, so I’ll keep mine as short and simple as I can: I love you.
Happy Birthday, Old Friend
Here are some touching thoughts for those who go way back: childhood friends, old classmates, longtime colleagues, and so forth.
- Do you remember the day we met? I don’t. All I know is this: At some point we became friends, and then we became inseparable. On your birthday, remembering the times I’ve spent with you fills me with delight.
- I wish you all the love in the world on your birthday — oh, and a new coffeemaker as well!
- Am I thinking about you today because it’s your birthday? Actually, I’m not. I’d be thinking about you today even if it wasn’t your birthday. Have a good one anyway!
- When I look back on the most joyous days of my life, they usually have one thing in common: You were a part of them. Happy birthday, my friend!
- Sure, we go back many years and many birthdays. However, I’m confident that, for the two of us, the best is still ahead.
- A birthday is a time of renewal, a time of hope, and a time to hear from those who love you. In fact, whenever I’m with you, I feel like it’s my birthday.
- You’ve always been a rock to me: kind, dependable, smart, funny, and willing to lend a sympathetic ear. I’m so fortunate to call you my friend — and so fortunate I can call you on the phone. Happy, happy birthday!
- I love being Robin to your Batman, Chewbacca to your Han Solo, and Silver to your Lone Ranger. Let’s keep this awesome partnership going for a long time, my super birthday friend!
- You know me: I never need an excuse to party. But, in honor of you and your birthday, I’m ready to party extra hard today.
- The day of your birth is definitely a day worth celebrating. I’m so thankful to know you, and I wouldn’t want to live my life without you.
- There are two days that I’m especially grateful for: the day you were born and the day we first met. Today, I’m celebrating them both!
Unique Happy Birthday Wishes for Friends
If you want to give someone motivation and reassurance, you won’t go wrong with the following lines.
- No one knows what the year ahead will bring. But here’s hoping that every new day will give you at least a few reasons to smile. Have a great birthday.
- I hope your birthday is happy, and I hope you have many, many happy birthdays after that. Thank you for being such a great friend and such a great person!
- Birthdays come and go — and lately, it seems like they come and go faster and faster. Yet, through it all, our friendship endures and grows ever more beautiful, just like you.
- It’s not the years that matter; it’s the happy moments. Here’s wishing you a great many more of them.
- Yes, we all get older, but we don’t all do so with as much style and grace as you. Rock on, birthday pal!
- Every year that passes is an accomplishment and a triumph, and I’m so glad you’ve scored another victory.
- You’ve always been a kind, thoughtful, and caring person. You’ve always made everyone’s life better. And I’m so blessed that you’ve always been my friend.
- You’re always thinking of others before yourself. Today, let everyone else do nice things for you. And be aware of how treasured you really are.
- When I stop to think about the happiest events of my life, I realize that you made so many of them happier just by being there. And here’s the most exciting thing of all: We’re just getting started! Happy b’day.
- Whenever I want to do the right thing or be a better person, I just have to ask myself: What would you do? Thank you for setting a fantastic example and for just being you, and have an outstanding birthday.
- Here on social media, I raise a digital glass to you and offer a virtual toast: You are selfless, priceless, and flawless, and I’m honored to know you.
Happy Birthday for a Friend Far Away
You can shorten the miles with these birthday greetings.
- The bad news: I’m far away from you on your birthday. The good news: True friendships like ours know no distance. Have an outstanding day!
- Looking forward to seeing you again soon. Until then, I hope this post brings you a little extra birthday cheer.
- If your birthday is even half as sweet and fun as you are, you’re going to have one awesome day!
- I wish I could be there for your big day. Just know that I’ll be thinking of you and wishing you the best today and all through the year.
- Hope you’re spending your birthday with the people you love the most — minus me, of course!
- Hey, look on the bright side: You’ll never be this young again. Well, maybe that’s not the bright side, but happy birthday anyway!
- I wish I could be there in person to celebrate your special day with you. But, while the distance may physically separate us, it can’t make me feel any less close to you.
- A quiet night at home? A wild party that rages on into the night? Whatever your plans might be, I hope you have a day you’ll long remember, one that’ll remind you how special you are.
- Given how far apart we are, you’re obligated to post as many social media photos of your birthday party as humanly possible. Have an outstanding day, my friend!
- Thank goodness for phone calls, text messages, social media, and fond memories. They help me forget how far away you are. I’m eagerly awaiting our next visit, and I’m wishing you the most joyful birthday of all time.
- Who says we have a long-distance friendship? I’m with you in spirit, and you’re right here in my heart. Enjoy your day!
What to Write in a Birthday Card for a Friend
If you love the old-fashioned personal touch of a birthday card, here are a few shorter messages that will look great in your own handwriting.
- I hope you’ve just had the best year ever. And I hope this year is even better than that!
- On your birthday and on every day, may fortune smile on you from sunrise to sunset.
- May your birthday gifts include health, love, and fulfillment. Here’s to you, my friend!
- Have I ever told you that I love you? On your birthday, it’s worth repeating.
- Where would I be without you? I don’t want to think about it. Instead, let me offer my warmest birthday wishes.
- On your birthday and every day, I’m so proud to be your friend.
- Thanks for always being there for me, and know that I’m always here for you.
- You’re the best, and you deserve nothing but the best on your big day.
- I hope you know how appreciated you are. It’s impossible to put into words.
- This is your day — make it wild, and do whatever you want. Love ya!
- Here’s a good idea: Let’s be friends forever. Happy birthday!
Birthday Sayings for Friends
Here we present some ideas that are based on time-honored, tried-and-true birthday sentiments.
- If wisdom comes with age, I’d say we’re both getting to be pretty darn wise. Happy birthday to my fellow sage!
- Hope today gives you the biggest piece of cake, the most enormous presents, and the most fun times you can imagine. You deserve all of that and more.
- You’re forever young and forever fun. Gee, it’s no wonder we’re friends: We’re so much alike. The happiest of birthdays to you!
- You don’t need any birthday candles; you’re already on fire. Have a great one!
- May all your birthday wishes come true this year — and may you receive a few wishes you didn’t even think of!
- On this day, I hope you pause and think about all the people who love, respect, admire, and cherish you. Of course, that’ll take you a long time!
- With each new year come new things to be thankful for. Hope you’ve got a gratitude-filled day ahead of you. You’re the greatest.
- Is it just me, or do you get smarter and more incredible each year? Someday, I’ll figure out how you do it. Until then, enjoy your birthday.
- When it’s your birthday, you get to be king/queen for the day. Long may you reign.
- Always remember that age is just a number. At this point, it might be a really big number, but at least you’re getting cake.
Touching and Meaningful Birthday Messages for Your Best Friend
- When we first met each other I never thought we would work, but now after all this time I can’t imagine my life without you. Thanks for being you all the time and happy birthday!
- Best friends are there for you on rainy days. They hold you in the darkest moments and make you laugh when no one else can- that’s why I love having you as my best friend. Hope you have the birthday you deserve.
- The stars cannot cover the thousands of times I’ve thought how grateful I am for you. Happy birthday to my very best friend.
- With the millions of people in the world and seven continents to tour, you’re the one my hearts longs for- today’s your birthday! I wish I could be there with you but I will always be there in heart, because you’re the best friend a person could ever have.
- I used to be more afraid of stuff, but now my best friend makes me happy all the time- it’s you! Happy birthday, you beautiful person.
- God was thinking of me when he made you. That’s how special I feel our friendship is. Wishing you all the joy, laughter, and love you deserve on your birthday.
- Some friends are like ocean waves coming and going as they please, but real friends like you are like octopuses sticking to me like the sea. Thanks for sticking with me all these years and happy birthday!
- With you as a true friend I’ve found a second self to laugh, play, and be awesome with- because you are all of that and more.
Happy Birthday Paragraphs for your Best Friend
- A great friendship is sharing secrets, sharing food, sharing pet names, and sharing moments that make the best memories. After all, sharing is caring so I’m so glad I get to share another year with you as my best friend. Happy birthday to you!
- If I was Mickey you would be Minnie and if I was Pooh you would be Piglet. You’re the tick to my tock, the bounce in my step and the only one that can make me dance till my feet hurt. If I was Peter Pan you would be my Tinker Bell- for without our friendship there would be no magical fairy dust in my life. In other words, I would have no wings to fly. Happy birthday to you, thanks for being so amazing.
- When some people disappear in your life like clouds disappear from the sky, it’s no big deal. But with you it’s different- you’re not a cloud, you are my sunshine and rainbow and everything in-between. Thank you for making me laugh so hard I cry, for holding me when I need a long hug, and for sticking with me all this time. You’re the best friend in the world.
Famous Birthday Quotes for your Friends
Very few days pass without us remembering the true value of good friends. This common wisdom has never been trivial; in fact, famous authors, poets, playwrights, and other intellectuals have repeatedly stressed the importance of friendship throughout the years, often dedicating entire works of theirs to the meaning of friendly bonding.
- A good friend is like a four leaf clover; hard to find and lucky to have. Irish Proverb
- A friend is a person with whom I may be sincere. Before him I may think aloud. I am arrived at last in the presence of a man so real and equal, that I may drop even those undermost garments of dissimulation, courtesy, and second thought, which men never put off, and may deal with him with the simplicity and wholeness with which one chemical atom meets another. Ralph Waldo Emerson
- A single rose can be my garden… a single friend, my world. Leo Buscaglia
- A sweet friendship refreshes the soul. Proverbs 27:9
- A friend is one that knows you as you are, understands where you have been, accepts what you have become, and still, gently allows you to grow. William Shakespeare
- A friend is someone who gives you total freedom to be yourself. Jim Morrison
- A friend is someone who makes it easy to believe in yourself. Heidi Wills
- A friend knows the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails. Donna Roberts
- A good friend can tell you what is the matter with you in a minute. He may not seem such a good friend after telling. Arthur Brisbane
- A loyal friend laughs at your jokes when they’re not so good, and sympathizes with your problems when they’re not so bad. Arnold H. Glasgow
- A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out. Walter Winchell
- A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked. Bernard Meltzer
- A true friend never gets in your way unless you happen to be going down. Arnold H. Glasgow
- An insincere and evil friend is more to be feared than a wild beast; a wild beast may wound your body, but an evil friend will wound your mind. Buddha
- Anybody can sympathize with the sufferings of a friend, but it requires a very fine nature to sympathize with a friend’s success. Oscar Wilde
- Be slow to fall into friendship; but when thou art in, continue firm & constant.”’- Socrates
- “Dear George: Remember no man is a failure who has friends. It’s a Wonderful Life
- Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends? Abraham Lincoln
- “Do not keep on with a mockery of friendship after the substance is gone -but part, while you can part friends. Bury the carcass of friendship: it is not worth embalming.”- William Hazlitt
- “Don’t make friends who are comfortable to be with. Make friends who will force you to lever yourself up.”- Thomas J. Watson
- Don’t walk in front of me; I may not follow. Don’t walk behind me; I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend. Albert Camus
- Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born. Anais Nin
- Find a group of people who challenge and inspire you; spend a lot of time with them, and it will change your life. Amy Poehler
- Flatter me, and I may not believe you. Criticize me, and I may not like you. Ignore me, and I may not forgive you. Encourage me, and I will not forget you. Love me and I may be forced to love you. William Arthur Ward
- For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.”- Audrey Hepburn
- Friends are medicine for a wounded heart, and vitamins for a hopeful soul. Steve Maraboli
- Friends are those rare people who ask how we are and then wait to hear the answer. Ed Cunningham
- Friends should be like books, few, but hand-selected. C.J. Langenhoven
- Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: ‘What! You too? I thought I was the only one.”- C.S. Lewis
- Friendship is delicate as a glass, once broken it can be fixed but there will always be cracks.”- Waqar Ahmed
- Friendship is like a glass ornament, once it is broken it can rarely be put back together exactly the same way.”- Charles Kingsley
- Friendship is the hardest thing in the world to explain. It’s not something you learn in school. But if you haven’t learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven’t learned anything.”- Muhammad Ali
- Friendship is the only cement that will ever hold the world together.”- Woodrow T. Wilson
- Friendship marks a life even more deeply than love. Love risks degenerating into obsession, friendship is never anything but sharing.”- Elie Wiesel
- Growing apart doesn’t change the fact that for a long time we grew side by side; our roots will always be tangled. I’m glad for that.”- Ally Condie
- How many slams in an old screen door? Depends how loud you shut it. How many slices in a bread? Depends how thin you cut it. How much good inside a day? Depends how good you live ’em. How much love inside a friend? Depends how much you give ’em.”- Shel Silverstein
- I don’t need a friend who changes when I change and who nods when I nod; my shadow does that much better.”- Plutarch
- I get by with a little help from my friends.”- The Beatles
- I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen.”- Ernest Hemingway
- I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was 12.”- Stand by Me
- I would rather walk with a friend in the dark, than alone in the light.”- Helen Keller
- If ever there is tomorrow when we’re not together… there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we’re apart… I’ll always be with you.”- Winnie the Pooh
- If it’s very painful for you to criticize your friends -you’re safe in doing it. But if you take the slightest pleasure in it, that’s the time to hold your tongue.”- Alice Duer Miller
- If you go looking for a friend, you’re going to find they’re very scarce. If you go out to be a friend, you’ll find them everywhere.”- Zig Ziglar
- If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 100 minus 1 day, so I never have to live without you.”- Winnie the Pooh
- If you make friends with yourself you will never be alone.”- Maxwell Maltz
- If you wanna find out who’s a true friend, screw up or go through a challenging time … then see who sticks around.”- Karen Salmonsohn
- In everyone’s life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.”- Albert Schweitzer
- In my friend, I find a second self.”- Isabel Norton
- In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.”- Martin Luther King, Jr.
- In the sweetness of friendship let there be laughter, for in the dew of little things the heart finds its morning and is refreshed.”- Khalil Gibran
- It is not a lack of love, but a lack of friendship that makes unhappy marriages.”- Friedrich Nietzsche
- It is not so much our friends’ help that helps us, as the confidence of their help.”- Epicurus
- It is the friends you can call up at 4 a.m. that matter.”- Marlene Dietrich
- It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but a great deal more to stand up to your friends.”- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
- Keep away from those who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you believe that you too can become great.”- Mark Twain
- Let us be grateful to the people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom.”- Marcel Proust
- Life is partly what we make it, and partly what it is made by the friends we choose.”- Tennessee Williams
- Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down. – Oprah Winfrey
- Many a person has held close, throughout their entire lives, two friends that always remained strange to one another, because one of them attracted by virtue of similarity, the other by difference. – Emil Ludwig
- Never idealize others. They will never live up to your expectations. Don’t over-analyze your relationships. Stop playing games. A growing relationship can only be nurtured by genuineness.- Leo F. Buscaglia
- No friendship is an accident. – O. Henry, Heart of the West
- No person is your friend who demands your silence, or denies your right to grow.- Alice Walker
- Nothing makes the earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes. – Henry David Thoreau
- One measure of friendship consists not in the number of things friends can discuss, but in the number of things they need no longer mention. – Clifton Fadiman
- One’s friends are that part of the human race with which one can be human. – George Santayana
- Only a true friend would be that truly honest. – Shrek
- People are lonely because they build walls instead of bridges. – Joseph F. Newton Men
- Some of the biggest challenges in relationships come from the fact that most people enter a relationship in order to get something: they’re trying to find someone who’s going to make them feel good. In reality, the only way a relationship will last is if you see your relationship as a place that you go to give, and not a place that you go to take. – Anthony Robbins
- Some people arrive and make such a beautiful impact on your life, you can barely remember what life was like without them. – Anna Taylor
- Some people go to priests. Others to poetry. I to my friends. – Virginia Woolfe
- Some souls just understand each other upon meeting. – N.R. Hart
- Someone to tell it to is one of the fundamental needs of human beings. – Miles Franklin
- Sometimes being a friend means mastering the art of timing. There is a time for silence. A time to let go and allow people to hurl themselves into their own destiny. And a time to prepare to pick up the pieces when it’s all over. – Gloria Naylor
- Sweet is the memory of distant friends! Like the mellow rays of the departing sun, it falls tenderly, yet sadly, on the heart. – Washington Irving
- The best mirror is an old friend. – George Herbert
- The best time to make friends is before you need them. – Ethel Barrymore
- The great thing about new friends is that they bring new energy to your soul. – Shanna Rodriguez
- The greatest compliment that was ever paid me was when someone asked me what I thought, and attended to my answer. – Henry David Thoreau
- The most beautiful discovery true friends make is that they can grow separately without growing apart. – Elizabeth Foley
- The only way to have a friend is to be one. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- The real test of friendship is: Can you literally do nothing with the other person? Can you enjoy those moments of life that are utterly simple? – Eugene Kennedy
- The royal road to a man’s heart is to talk to him about the things he treasures most. – Dale Carnegie
- The tender friendships one gives up, on parting, leave their bite on the heart, but also a curious feeling of a treasure somewhere buried. – Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
- There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound. – Diana Cortes
- There is nothing better than a friend, unless it is a friend with chocolate. – Linda Grayson
- There is nothing I wouldn’t do for those who are really my friends. I have no notion of loving people by halves; it is not my nature. – Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey
- There is nothing like puking with somebody to make you into old friends. – Sylvia Plath, The Bell Jar
- There’s not a word yet for old friends who’ve just met. – Jim Henson, I’m Going To Go Back There Someday
- They may forget what you said, but they will never forget how you made them feel. – Carl W. Buechner
- Tis the privilege of friendship to talk nonsense, and to have her nonsense respected. – Charles Lamb
- To the world you may be just one person, but to one person you may be the world. – Brandi Snyder
- True friends are like diamonds – bright, beautiful, valuable, and always in style. – Nicole Richie
- True friendship comes when the silence between two people is comfortable.- David Tyson
- True friendship is never serene.- Marquise de Sevigne
- Ultimately the bond of all companionship, whether in marriage or in friendship, is conversation. – Oscar Wilde
- We’ll be friends forever, won’t we, Pooh?” Asked Piglet. “Even longer,” Pooh answered. – Winnie The Pooh
- When a woman becomes her own best friend, life is easier. – Diane von Furstenburg
- When you stop expecting people to be perfect, you can like them for who they are. – Donald Miller
- Whenever you’re in conflict with someone, there is one factor that can make the difference between damaging your relationship and deepening it. That factor is attitude. – William James
- Wishing to be friends is quick work, but friendship is a slow ripening fruit. – Aristotle
- You can always tell a real friend: when you’ve made a fool of yourself he doesn’t feel you’ve done a permanent job. – Laurence J. Peter
- You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you. – Dale Carnegie
- You have been my friend,” replied Charlotte. “That in itself is a tremendous thing. – E.B. White, Charlotte’s Web
- You’ve got a friend in me. Toy Story
You may also like:
Click here for our best birthday wishes.