100 Heart-melting Valentine’s Day Quotes on Genuine Love
Valentine’s Day comes once a year, in February, as a reminder of what being in love means. When this love we feel is so universal and dominates our existence, making an effort to express it may turn out to be overwhelming.
That’s when words by famous people can come in to save the day. Our collection of famous Valentine’s Day quotes will help you show them how much you love them while sharing an everlasting piece of wisdom at the same time. Then again, if you want to express your affection through humor, check out our Funny Valentine’s Quotes.
- 1 Happy Valentine’s Day Quotes
- 2 Cute Valentine’s Day Quotes
- 3 Valentine’s Day Quotes for Friends
- 4 Valentine’s Day Quotes for Husband
- 5 Valentine’s Day Quotes for Wife
- 6 Love Quotes for Valentine’s Day
- 7 Inspirational Quotes for Valentine’s Day
- 8 Valentine’s Day Bible Verses
- 9 Short Valentine’s Day Quotes You Can Also Use as Captions
- 10 Long Valentine’s Day Quotes
Happy Valentine’s Day Quotes
- You never lose by loving. You always lose by holding back. Barbara De Angelis
- Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I’ll meet you there. Rumi
- When I saw you I fell in love, and you smiled because you knew.
- You make me happy the way no one else can.
- Love like you’ll never be hurt. Happy Valentine’s Day.
- As if you were on fire from within.
The moon lives in the lining of your skin.
- You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams. Dr. Seuss
- One is loved because one is loved. No reason is needed for loving. Paulo Coelho
- What a lover’s heart knows let no man’s brain dispute. Aberjhani
- The very essence of romance is uncertainty. Oscar Wilde
- One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love. Sophocles
- The heart has its reasons which reason knows not. Blaise Pascal
- This fire that we call Loving is too strong for human minds. But just right for human souls. Aberjhani
- Most people are slow to champion love because they fear the transformation it brings into their lives. And make no mistake about it: love does take over and transform the schemes and operations of our egos in a very mighty way. Aberjhani
- The beat of two hearts becomes one when intertwined in a passionate kiss. Lisa Marbly-Warir
- Romance is the glamour which turns the dust of everyday life into a golden haze. Elinor Glyn
- Lovers alone wear sunlight. E.E. Cummings
- There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness. Friedrich Nietzsche
- To fear love is to fear life, and those who fear life are already 3-parts dead. Bertrand Russell
- Goodbyes are only for those who love with their eyes. Because for those who love with heart and soul there is no such thing as separation. Jalaluddin Mevlana Rumi
- This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First to let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet. Rumi
- I love you as certain dark things are to be loved,
in secret, between the shadow and the soul.
- And suddenly all the love songs were about you.
Cute Valentine’s Day Quotes
- Yours is the light by which my spirit’s born: – you are my sun, my moon, and all my stars. E.E. Cummings
- The best thing to hold onto in life is each other. Audrey Hepburn
- This is what our love is––a sacred pattern of unbroken unity sewn flawlessly invisible inside all other images, thoughts, smells, and sounds. Aberjhani
- True love is like little roses,
sweet, fragrant in small doses.
Ana Claudia Antunes
- If I had a flower for every time I thought of you…I could walk through my garden forever. Alfred Tennyson
- Let yourself be drawn by the stronger pull of that which you truly love. Jalaluddin Mevlana Rumi
- If a thing loves, it is infinite. William Blake
- They invented hugs to let people know you love them without saying anything. Bil Keane
- It doesn’t matter who you are or what you look like, so long as somebody loves you. Roald Dahl
- You stole my heart, but I’ll let you keep it.
You are always new, the last of your kisses was ever the sweetest. John Keats
- Love is friendship that has caught fire. Ann Landers
- Love planted a rose, and the world turned sweet. Katharine Lee Bates
- Romance is thinking about your significant other, when you are supposed to be thinking about something else. Nicholas Sparks
- I want to do with you what spring does with the cherry trees. Pablo Neruda
- When you fish for love , bait with your heart, not your brain. Mark Twain
- Kisses are a better fate than wisdom. E.E. Cummings
Valentine’s Day Quotes for Friends
- Life was made for good friends and great adventure.
- One of the most beautiful qualities of true friendship is to understand and to be understood. Lucius Annaeus Seneca
- I get by with a little help from my friends. John Lennon
- If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. Emily Dickinson
- Things are never quite as scary when you’ve got a best friend. Calvin and Hobbes
- A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out. Walter Winchell
- Each time you love, love as deeply as if it were forever. Audre Lorde
- How lovely life can be if one takes the time to be friendly. Julia Child
- Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.
- Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind,
And therefore is winged Cupid painted blind.
- The real lover is the man who can thrill you by kissing your forehead or smiling into your eyes or just staring into space. Marilyn Monroe
- Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light. Helen Keller
- The only way to have a friend is to be one. Ralph Waldo Emerson
- Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage. Lao Tzu
- Never love anyone who treats you like you’re ordinary. Oscar Wilde
- Love is or it ain’t. Thin love ain’t love at all. Toni Morrison
- Trust your heart if the seas catch fire, live by love though the stars walk backward. E.E. Cummings
- I think… if it is true that there are as many minds as there are heads, then there are as many kinds of love as there are hearts. Leo Tolstoy,
- It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important. Antoine de Saint-Exupéry,
- Every heart sings a song, incomplete, until another heart whispers back. Those who wish to sing always find a song. At the touch of a lover, everyone becomes a poet. Plato
- Love does not begin and end the way we seem to think it does. Love is a battle, love is a war; love is a growing up. James Baldwin
- Of all forms of caution, caution in love is perhaps the most fatal to true happiness. Bertrand Russell
- All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn’t hurt. Charles M. Schulz
- What is hell? I maintain that it is the suffering of being unable to love. Fyodor Dostoyevsky,
- He’s more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same. Emily Brontë
- Never close your lips to those whom you have already opened your heart. Charles Dickens
- Have enough courage to trust love one more time and always one more time. Maya Angelou
- My great hope is to laugh as much as I cry; to get my work done and try to love somebody and have the courage to accept the love in return. Maya Angelou
- Because of you, I laugh a little harder, cry a little less, and smile a lot more.
- A friend is someone who gives you total freedom to be yourself. Jim Morrison
- The course of true love never did run smooth. William Shakespeare
- There is nothing more truly artistic than to love people. Vincent van Gogh
- I loved her against reason, against promise, against peace, against hope, against happiness, against all discouragement that could be. Charles Dickens,
- Love is a better master than duty. Albert Einstein
- How did it happen that their lips came together? How does it happen that birds sing, that snow melts, that the rose unfolds, that the dawn whitens behind the stark shapes of trees on the quivering summit of the hill? A kiss, and all was said. Victor Hugo
- I do not want horses or diamonds – I am happy in possessing you. Clara Schumann
- Love is our true destiny. We do not find the meaning of life by ourselves alone – we find it with another. Thomas Merton
- Now a soft kiss – Aye, by that kiss, I vow an endless bliss. John Keats
- Soul meets soul on lovers’ lips. Percy Bysshe Shelley
Valentine’s Day Quotes for Husband
- You are my heart, my life, my one and only thought. Arthur Conan Doyle
- Doubt thou the stars are fire, Doubt that the sun doth move. Doubt the truth to be a liar, But never doubt I love. William Shakespeare
- Where there is great love, there are always wishes. Willa Cather
- I’m yours, no refunds.
- I love being married. It’s so great to find one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life. Rita Rudner
- Together is a beautiful place to be.
- From the first time I saw you, I knew you would have my heart. Happy Valentine’s Day to the best husband I could have asked for.
- I love you because you make me ridiculously happy.
- If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you. A.A. Milne
- How do I love thee? Let me count the ways. Elizabeth Barrett Browning
- The single most extraordinary thing I’ve ever done with my life is fall in love with you. Beth Pearson, “This Is Us”
- All that you are is all that I’ll ever need. Ed Sheeran
Valentine’s Day Quotes for Wife
- In a world full of temporary things you are a perpetual feeling. Sanober Khan
- Don’t ever think I fell for you, or fell over you. I didn’t fall in love, I rose in it. Toni Morrison
- I won’t give up on us, even if the skies get rough. Jason Mraz
- I will never forget the moment I realized I loved you.
- You put your arms around me and I’m home.
- A kiss makes the heart young again and wipes out the years. Rupert Brooke
- For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul. Judy Garland
- The minute I heard my first love story, I started looking for you, not knowing how blind that was. Lovers don’t finally meet somewhere. They’re in each other all along. Rumi
- Love is too weak a word for what I feel for you. One life is too small a time to express how madly I am in love with you.
- Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies. Aristotle
- Love does not dominate; it cultivates. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- If you have only one smile in you give it to the people you love. Maya Angelou
- Love will find a way through paths where wolves fear to prey. Lord Byron
Love Quotes for Valentine’s Day
- Love is when the desire to be desired takes you so badly that you feel you could die of it. Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec
- Love is being stupid together. Paul Valery
- We loved with a love that was more than love. Edgar Allan Poe
- Love is an irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired. Robert Frost
- Love doesn’t just sit there, like a stone, it has to be made, like bread; remade all the time, made new. Ursula K. Le Guin
- We waste time looking for the perfect lover, instead of creating the perfect love. Tom Robbins
- I don’t trust people who don’t love themselves and tell me, ‘I love you.’ … There is an African saying which is: Be careful when a naked person offers you a shirt. Maya Angelou
- Love is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own. Robert A. Heinlein
- If you love somebody, let them go, for if they return, they were always yours. If they don’t, they never were. Kahlil Gibran
- To be brave is to love someone unconditionally without expecting anything in return. Madonna
- The power of love is that it sees all people. DaShanne Stokes
- Love attracts, connects, builds and frees the beauty of humanity. Happy Valentine’s Day. Euginia Herlihy
- On Valentine’s Day, we are reminded what our relationships could be like the other 364. Steve Maraboli
- We accept the love we think we deserve. Stephen Chbosky
- Love is a decision, it is a judgment, it is a promise. If love were only a feeling, there would be no basis for the promise to love each other forever. A feeling comes and it may go. How can I judge that it will stay forever, when my act does not involve judgment and decision. Erich Fromm
- The highest function of love is that it makes the loved one a unique and irreplaceable being. Tom Robbins
- I know of only one duty, and that is to love. Albert Camus
- The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved — loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves. Victor Hugo
- Every true love and friendship is a story of unexpected transformation. If we are the same person before and after we loved, that means we haven’t loved enough. Elif Shafak
- Love liberates. It doesn’t bind. Maya Angelou
- Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that. Martin Luther King Jr.
Inspirational Quotes for Valentine’s Day
- May Cupid have you smiling from ear-to-ear during this blessed Valentine’s Day.
- I implore you to go all out, empty your bank account and make your sweetheart happy today.
- No matter how hard your partner may be to please, know that you will reap great benefits by successfully doing so on Valentine’s Day!
- This is the first Valentine’s Day with your newfound love, and I hope the two of you will be celebrating this occasion together for many more years to come.
- Whether you like basketball or soap operas, chocolate or broccoli, I hope you and your honeybun find a middle ground and enjoy this beautiful day equally together.
- May the sight of your sweetheart be all the inspiration you need to get it on this special day of the year.
- This is a chilly yet lovely February, and I hope you get to spend the 14th nuzzled in the warm embrace of your loved one.
- I know that depression is real, but this I must say – don’t chase Cupid away this February 14th!
- If no one buys you a box of chocolates this February, may you be blessed with the self-love to go out and buy one for yourself!
- May your Val’s Day be so sweet that you and your sweetheart decide to spend it in a dentist’s office.
- Even if you don’t have a significant other to spend this special celebration with, your mother, sister or female friends would surely appreciate hearing from you.
- The true meaning of Valentine’s Day has been lost behind the spirit of materialism. But that being said, I hope you still enjoy it with the person you love.
- May you experience an unexpected yet pleasant visitation from an interesting person during this Valentine season.
- May your Val’s Day be completely stress-free, as if you were gliding on the wings of Cupid!
- Flowery gifts and chocolaty dates don’t define the Feast of Saint Valentine. In other words, anyone can benefit from receiving your lovely smile.
- May Cupid shoot a homing arrow with you being the target it’s locked on during the Feast of Saint Valentine.
- The heart is not for Valentine’s Day but rather Valentine’s Day for the heart.
- I’m not looking for any gifts this February 14th. Instead genuine wishes of well-being will suffice to make it a holiday.
- If you don’t have anyone you love to spend this glorious day with, then get drunk enough until you find someone that you do!
- May all haters of Valentine’s Day walk away this year with a renewed understanding of why this time of the year is so highly anticipated and appreciated!
- Everybody loves somebody. And if you don’t have a date today, I hope you find the heart to tell that person how much you care.
- If there’s one thing society can agree on, it’s that everyone needs someone to love.
- Whatever transpires on this lovely day, I hope it leaves you smiling from now ’til the end of the month!
- If you’re one of those people who look forward to Val’s Day with anticipation, then I hope during this year, you won’t be disappointed.
- May you and your spouse have the most-loving Saint Valentine’s Day ever.
- May your heart lead you to love, and may love lead you directly to me.
- The trials and errors of romance have brought us to this day, where we get to display the love we have mastered throughout the years.
- I hope you experience a Valentine’s Day where you are fearless and free to love as you see fit.
- I will give my all to make sure this Feast of Saint Valentine is the best one you have ever experienced.
- Whether dancing the night away or at home with a pizza, I hope you get to spend this incredibly lovely day with the one you love.
- The cards, candies and other gifts we receive on February 14th are just representations of the intangible love that lives in our hearts.
- The cold of Winter is coming to an end, and the freshness of Spring is upon us. What better time is there to celebrate love?
- No matter where you are or who is in your company, there is someone bound to welcome a shout-out from you today.
- Saint Valentine’s Day is not about the composition of beautiful words but rather the expressions of an affectionate heart.
- Even if the Feast of Saint Valentine were outlawed tomorrow, people would just designate a different time of the year to honoring love, just as they have before the holiday existed.
- My only mission today is to bring a smile to the faces of all of my friends.
- I love you now, today, tomorrow, the day after tomorrow and forever.
- I don’t know if this 14th day of February will bring me success or failure, but I do know I’m not afraid to take the chance!
- I can’t think of any elaborate words to tell you, only that you have the best Feast of Saint Valentine ever.
- If observing Valentine’s Day is a chore, then it must be the sweetest work in the world.
- May every emotional pain you are going through be righted during this Valentine’s season.
- I’m not a big practitioner of Valentine’s Day but still wish that you have a very-joyous day if it’s your thing.
- The year has started off beautifully, and nothing would cap off its arrival more properly than a wonderful Feast of Saint Valentine!
- Who is going to have a better Valentine’s season – the one who thinks about it positively or the one who approaches it with pessimism?
- This special day is God’s way of telling you He loves you more than you can ever imagine.
Valentine’s Day Bible Verses
- I have found the one whom my soul loves. Song of Solomon 3:4
- We love because he first loved us. 1 John 4:19
- And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony. Colossians 3:14
- Hatred stirs up conflict, but love covers over all wrongs. Proverbs 10:12
- My lover is mine, and I am his. Song of Solomon 2:16
- So Jacob served seven years for Rachel, and they seemed to him but a few days because of the love he had for her. Genesis 29:20
- If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing. Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Corinthians 13:1-13
Short Valentine’s Day Quotes You Can Also Use as Captions
- Love is a courageous device, it gives you the ability to see things in a positive way. Happy Valentines Day. Euginia Herlihy
- Love is like the wind, you can’t see it but you can feel it. Nicholas Sparks
- There is only one happiness in this life, to love and be loved. George Sand
- Love is a sweet aroma, it fills the room with a wonderful atmosphere. Happy Valentines Day. Euginia Herlihy
- Hugs, Kisses and Valentine’s Wishes.
- You will forever be my always.
- We are most alive when we’re in love. John Updike
- Morning without you is a dwindled dawn. Emily Dickinson
- Her heart was a secret garden and the walls were very high. William Goldman
Long Valentine’s Day Quotes
- People think a soul mate is your perfect fit, and that’s what everyone wants. But a true soul mate is a mirror, the person who shows you everything that is holding you back, the person who brings you to your own attention so you can change your life. Elizabeth Gilbert
- If I say your voice is an amber waterfall in which I yearn to burn each day, if you eat my mouth like a mystical rose with powers of healing and damnation, If I confess that your body is the only civilization I long to experience… would it mean that we are close to knowing something about love? Aberjhani
- To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to no one, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket, safe, dark, motionless, airless, it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. To love is to be vulnerable. C.S. Lewis
- There are two basic motivating forces: fear and love. When we are afraid, we pull back from life. When we are in love, we open to all that life has to offer with passion, excitement, and acceptance. We need to learn to love ourselves first, in all our glory and our imperfections. If we cannot love ourselves, we cannot fully open to our ability to love others or our potential to create. Evolution and all hopes for a better world rest in the fearlessness and open-hearted vision of people who embrace life. John Lennon
- In the eighteenth century, historians tell us, ‘valentinage,’ from which Valentine’s Day was derived, allowed wives in northern France to make love, on a few days each year and with the knowledge of their husbands, with a ‘valentine’ of their choosing. Pascal Bruckner
- You may not be her first, her last, or her only. She loved before she may love again. But if she loves you now, what else matters? She’s not perfect—you aren’t either, and the two of you may never be perfect together but if she can make you laugh, cause you to think twice, and admit to being human and making mistakes, hold onto her and give her the most you can. She may not be thinking about you every second of the day, but she will give you a part of her that she knows you can break—her heart. So don’t hurt her, don’t change her, don’t analyze and don’t expect more than she can give. Smile when she makes you happy, let her know when she makes you mad, and miss her when she’s not there. Bob Marley
- You think because he doesn’t love you that you are worthless. You think that because he doesn’t want you anymore that he is right — that his judgement and opinion of you are correct. If he throws you out, then you are garbage. You think he belongs to you because you want to belong to him. Don’t. It’s a bad word, ‘belong.’ Especially when you put it with somebody you love. Love shouldn’t be like that. Did you ever see the way the clouds love a mountain? They circle all around it; sometimes you can’t even see the mountain for the clouds. But you know what? You go up top and what do you see? His head. The clouds never cover the head. His head pokes through, because the clouds let him; they don’t wrap him up. They let him keep his head up high, free, with nothing to hide him or bind him. You can’t own a human being. You can’t lose what you don’t own. Suppose you did own him. Could you really love somebody who was absolutely nobody without you? You really want somebody like that? Somebody who falls apart when you walk out the door? You don’t, do you? And neither does he. You’re turning over your whole life to him. Your whole life, girl. And if it means so little to you that you can just give it away, hand it to him, then why should it mean any more to him? He can’t value you more than you value yourself. Toni Morrison
You may also like: