Galentine’s Day Quotes: How a TV Series Left a Legacy of Female Empowerment
Galentine’s Day is a special holiday dedicated to celebrating the strong bond of friendship between women. While this festive occasion was popularized by the hit comedy series Parks and Recreation, there are actually centuries-old traditions that honor women’s friendships in various cultures all over the world.
In this blog post, we will explore the history of this Day, its origins in the TV series, and how this holiday has become a meaningful source of female empowerment. We will also provide a selection of inspiring Galentine’s Day quotes that prove that each and every one of all the incredible female friendships out there is indeed a wildly underrated medication.
- 1 When is Galentine’s Day?
- 2 What is Galentine’s Day?
- 3 Who Came up with this Celebration?
- 4 Best Friends and Female Empowerment
- 5 5 Tips on How to Celebrate Galentine’s Day
- 6 Lady Friends Forever: 45 Inspirational Galentine’s Day Quotes
When is Galentine’s Day?
Galentine’s Day is celebrated on February 13th of each year. It is the Eve of Valentine’s day.
What is Galentine’s Day?
Galentine’s Day is an annual holiday that celebrates friendship between women.
It was created by Amy Poehler’s character Leslie Knope on the show Parks and Recreation in 2010, when she declared it “Ladies Celebrating Ladies Day.”
It has since become an international phenomenon, with many countries observing the holiday.
Who Came up with this Celebration?
Despite its modern origins in Amy Poehler’s popular TV series, Galentine’s Day can actually be traced back to centuries-old traditions from around the world.
For example, some Native American tribes celebrated “friendship feasts” that were dedicated to strengthening female bonds, while other countries like India celebrated “Raksha Bandhan”, a festival of sisterly love.
While these traditions may not have been called the same way, they all shared the same goal of celebrating and honoring women’s friendship.
Best Friends and Female Empowerment
At its core, Galentine’s Day is an opportunity to recognize and celebrate the important role that friendships between women play in our lives.
It has become a powerful symbol of female empowerment, with many ladies taking this holiday as an opportunity to recognize their own strength and resilience as well as that of their friends.
By emphasizing positive relationships between women as opposed to competition or negative comparisons, Galentine’s Day can provide much-needed solidarity in times when it feels like the world is working against us.
5 Tips on How to Celebrate Galentine’s Day
No matter how you choose to celebrate Galentine’s Day, make sure to take the time to appreciate the special bond between you and your female friends.
Here are some tips to help you out:
1. Host a Galentine’s Day Brunch – Get your favorite gal pals together for a morning brunch and celebrate the day with some delicious food and drinks. Whether you opt for a breakfast-style get together or something more decadent, there’s no better way to honor the special bond of women’s friendships than with a good old catch up over food.
2. Go On an Adventurous Road Trip – Hit the road with your besties and explore new places together! Whether it’s the beach or the mountains, having fun with your pals by your side is always an adventure you won’t forget. Don’t forget to take lots of photos and make lots of memories.
3. Have a Movie Night – Nothing says Galentine’s Day like an all-girls movie night! Pop some popcorn, grab your snacks of choice, and pick out your favorite movies to enjoy with your closest friends.
4. Do Something That Makes You Feel Good – Take the time to do something that makes you feel good and uplifts your spirits. Whether it’s going for a walk, relaxing in the sauna, or maybe even ice skating, spend the day doing something that nourishes the soul.
5. Get Creative – Have fun and unleash your creativity! Pull out all of the art supplies and get crafty with your friends. You can also take the time to create something meaningful, like a scrapbook filled with fun memories of all the good times you’ve shared together.
Happy Galentine’s Day, and don’t forget, as Jack Johnson said, “Life is better when we’re together, somewhere in.”
Lady Friends Forever: 45 Inspirational Galentine’s Day Quotes
To wrap up this blog post, we’d like to leave you with a few inspiring Galentine’s Day quotes that pay tribute to all the incredible female friendships out there!
Quotes from Parks and Recreation as Galentine’s Day Quotes
1. “Ovaries before brovaries.” – April Ludgate
2. “We need to remember what’s important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, work. But work has to come third.” – Leslie Knope
3. “A Galentine’s Day is only the best day of the year!” – Leslie Knope
4. “I throw my hands up in the air sometimes saying ay-ohhh-ay-ohh-ay-oh for the ladies!” – April Ludgate
5. “You have to remember what’s important in life: friends, waffles, work– wait no, that’s not right…Friends, waffles, champagne.” – Leslie Knope
6. “It doesn’t matter if you’re black, white, short, tall, skinny, rich or poor. If somebody treats you like garbage, all you gotta do is say ‘I’m not a garbage person. I’m a glimmering piece of coal! And I choose to be diamond!” – April Ludgate
7. “Women are heroes and they should be celebrated.” – Leslie Knope
8. “Fiercely independent women don’t need men to validate their self-worth or accomplishments.” – April Ludgate
9. “Women supporting women—that’s the unstoppable force that will change the world.” – Leslie Knope
10. “Friendship isn’t a big thing — it’s a million little things.” – Leslie Knope
11. “Be the Leslie Knope of whatever you do.” – April Ludgate
12. “The power of female friendship is not to be underestimated.” – Leslie Knope
13. “Never half-ass two things; whole-ass one thing!” – Leslie Knope
14. “Any team that I’m on is better than any team that’s against me, because I am an incredible asset and powerhouse.” – April Ludgate
15. “There are no mistakes in life, only lessons.” – Leslie Knope
16. “It’s important for women to support each other, to not be afraid of our differences and celebrate them.” – April Ludgate
17. “Great things come from working hard and believing in yourself—and maybe a little bit from waffles.” – Leslie Knope
18. “We have to remember what’s important in life: friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work. But work has to come third.” – Leslie Knope
19. “You can do anything you put your heart into.” – April Ludgate
20. “I will always cherish the time I was able to spend with my amazing female friends — they are my heroes!” – Leslie Knope
21. “Every February 13, my lady friends and I leave our husbands and our boyfriends at home and we just come and kick it, breakfast style. Ladies celebrating ladies, it’s like Lilith Fair minus the angst – plus frittatas!” – Leslie Knope
22. “Galentine’s Day is about women celebrating women — a kick-ass female posse of your closest friends, your ride-or-dies.” – Leslie Knope
23. “Dear Cupid: A bunch of us are planning a Galentine’s Day brunch for February 13th and we thought it would be nice if you sent some wine. Thanks in advance!” – Leslie Knope
Friendship Quotes to Wish a Happy Galentine’s Day
24. “Friendship is a wildly underrated medication.” – Anna Deavere Smith
25. “Maybe we can be each other’s soul mates. And then we can let men be just these great, nice guys to have fun with.” – Charlotte York, Sex and the City.
26. “The greatest thing a woman can do to another woman is lift her up.” – Unknown
27. “A true friend is someone who never gets tired of listening to your pointless dramas over and over again.” – Lauren Conrad
28. “Women are like teabags, we don’t know our true strength until we’re in hot water.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
29. “Friendship enriches your life and makes it more interesting. – Wendi Deng Murdoch
30. “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
31. “Well-behaved women seldom make history.” – Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
32. “There’s no limit to what we, as women, can accomplish.” – Michelle Obama
33. “Some people arrive and make such a beautiful impact on your life, you can barely remember what life was like without them.” – Anna Taylor
34. “A loyal friend laughs at your jokes when they’re not so good and sympathizes with your problems when they’re not so bad.” – Arnold H. Glasgow
35. “Friendship isn’t a big thing—it’s a million little things.” – Unknown
36. “The best part of life is when you meet people who understand you, accept you and encourage you to grow.” – Unknown
37. “In the cookie of life, friends are chocolate chips.” – Salman Rushdie
38. “Good friends are like stars, you don’t always see them but you know they’re always there.” – Unknown
39. “True friends are never apart, maybe in distance but never in heart.” – Unknown
40. “Friends are the family you choose.” – Unknown
41. “Sometimes all we need is a few hours with our best friends, chocolate chips, and an old movie.” – Unknown
42. “Celebrate your gal-pals this Galentine’s Day!” – Anna Taylor
43. “The beauty of female friendship is that it doesn’t have to be perfect or last forever to be special and impactful.” – Anna Deavere Smith
44. “Women, stayed strong together and make a chaotic world simply better” – Marilyn Monroe.
45. “Galentines till the end, that’s what we said!” – Michael Scott and Leslie Knope (The Office)
We hope that these quotes inspire you to recognize and cherish all the amazing female friendships in your life. Happy Galentine’s Day!
You may also like: