World Refugee Day is a global event observed once every year on June 20th. The main goal of this international observance is to raise awareness of the plights of refugees across the globe.
Here are some profound quotes (famous and original alike) that you can use in commemorating this important day.
Famous Quotes for World Refugee Day
- “The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything.” — Albert Einstein
- “I urge you to celebrate the extraordinary courage and contributions of refugees past and present.” – Kofi Annan
- “In countries where people have to flee their homes because of persecution and violence, political solutions must be found, peace and tolerance restored, so that refugees can return home. In my experience, going home is the deepest wish of most refugees.” – Angelina Jolie
- “No one puts their children in a boat unless the water is safer than the land.” — Warsan Shire
- “Refugees are not terrorists. They are often the first victims of terrorism.” — António Manuel de Oliveira Guterres
- “How wonderful it is that no one has to wait, but can start right now to gradually change the world! How wonderful it is that everyone, great and small, can immediately help bring about justice by giving of themselves.” — Anne Frank
- “No one leaves home unless home is the mouth of a shark.” — Warsan Shire
- “It affects and involves us all, and what it needs is understanding, compassion and political will to come together and find real answers for the refugee plight. This has become a defining challenge of our times.” — Filippo Grandi
- “Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.” — Emma Lazarus
- So often the world sits idly by, watching ethnic conflicts flare up, as if these were mere entertainment rather than human beings whose lives are being destroyed. Shouldn’t the existence of even one single refugee be a cause for alarm throughout the world? – Urkhan Alakbarov
- “To be called a refugee is the opposite of an insult; it is a badge of strength, courage, and victory.” — Tennessee Office for Refugees
- “They are safe but they are not in their homes. They are city-less. I think it’s just a disaster for everyone.” – Teri Hatcher
- “Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.” — Martin Luther King Jr.
- “Refugees are mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, children, with the same hopes and ambitions as us—except that a twist of fate has bound their lives to a global refugee crisis on an unprecedented scale.” — Khaled Hosseini
- “It is the obligation of every person born in a safer room to open the door when someone in danger knocks.” — Dina Nayeri
- “We have a legal and moral obligation to protect people fleeing bombs, bullets and tyrants, and throughout history those people have enriched our society.” —Juliet Stevenson
- “Displaced societies are of value. Their issues are our issues.” – Cynthia Basinet
- “There are no refugees, no displaced persons here, … They are our guests and we treat them as such.” – Mike Turner
Original Quotes | World Refugee Day
- The safety, food, water and shelter that we tend to take for granted are priceless treasures in the world of a refugee.
- Just like it is a fact that the Pacific Ocean is the largest ocean on this planet, it is also a fact that most of us wouldn’t last a day in the shoes of a refugee. May God bless the refugees of this world.
- How a country treats the refugees and displaced persons that knock upon its doors is sufficient enough to judge the hearts of the people within it.
- The phenomenal strength and courage of a refugee never stop inspiring me. Support a refugee if you can, for they burn in a fire they didn’t start.
- My definition of a refugee is a beautiful and innocent person who flees his/her home in search of a safe place to breathe a sigh of relief. Today being World Refugee Day, I pray we are all inspired to love our less privileged sisters and brothers as much as we love ourselves.
- Looking forward to a day where there will be no refugee and every single person will have a safe place to lay his or her head.
- The greatest wish of every refugee is to return to a peaceful home where he or she can realize the dreams of his or her heart.
- If you really want to understand the plight of a refugee, just imagine the plight of a fish that is forced to live on land instead of water.
- I hope that there will come a day when the whole world will come together and have one strong voice which simply says “peace and safety for all”.
- You have never experienced real suffering until you’ve been forced to flee the warmth of your home in order to keep on living.
- If we all came together and loved one another, there’d be no single refugee on planet Earth.
- The only crime of a refugee is fleeing from danger. Remember that whenever you encounter one.
- The answer to the world’s refugee problem lies in just one word: Love.
- Not until the day you walk in the shoes of a refugee, you’ll never fully understand his/her plight.
- For many a refuge, there are only two options: flee or die. How can you fault such a person for choosing the former option?
- I am dreaming of a day when the word “refugee” would no longer exist in any dictionary on this planet.
- A displaced person searches for neither silver nor gold. All he/she wants is a safe haven where he/she doesn’t need to sleep with an eye open. Is this too much to ask for?
- There’s a special place in heaven for those who show love and mercy to desperate refugees.
- It’s strange how some people expect God to bless them when they can’t open their doors for people fleeing violence and persecution.
- A refugee bleeds the same red blood you bleed. This means he or she is a human being too. Find it in yourself to show them love.
- Show some love to refugees today because nobody becomes a refugee by choice.
- Everyone can be a refugee at anytime. Take a moment to think about that as you observe this year’s World Refuge Day.
- Consider yourself absolutely blessed that you are not a refugee today.
- On this World Refugee Day, try to have the welfare of a refugee at heart.
- We make God smile when we show love and kindness to a forcibly displaced person.
- Love is everything. Without love, it’d be very difficult telling the difference between us and the wild beasts that inhabit the wilderness.
You may also like:
The Most Amazing Famous Quotes About Love
Albert Einstein’s Most Inspiring Quotes