Those Sad Departures | Quotes About Losing a Loved One
It’s never easy finding the right words to express your emotions when you lose a loved one. Missing someone starts from their physical absence and is extended to all the things that he or she meant for you.
Knowing that, we hope our collection of carefully picked and written quotes about a loss can help you express the sadness you feel about the demise of a dear one as you try picking up the pieces.
Famous Inspirational Quotes About Losing a Loved One
- Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality. Emily Dickinson
- He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds. Psalm 147:3
- A great soul serves everyone all the time. A great soul never dies. It brings us together again and again. Maya Angelou
- Those we love never truly leave us. There are things that death cannot touch. Jack Thorne
- What we have once enjoyed we can never lose; all that we deeply love becomes a part of us. Helen Keller
- If I had a flower for every time I thought of you, I could walk in my garden forever. Alfred Lord Tennyson
- The mightiest power of death is not that it can make people die, but that it can make the people you left behind want to stop living.
- Whoever said that loss gets easier with time was a liar. Here’s what really happens: The spaces between the times you miss them grow longer. Then, when you do remember to miss them again, it’s still with a stabbing pain to the heart. And you have guilt. Guilt because it’s been too long since you missed them last.
- Only a moment you stayed, but what an imprint your footprints have left on our hearts. Dorothy Ferguson
- Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted. Matthew 5:4
- Closed eyes, heart not beating, but a living love.
- When someone you love becomes a memory, the memory becomes a treasure. Unknown
- What is lovely never dies, but passes into another loveliness, Star-dust or sea-foam, Flower or winged air. Thomas Bailey Aldrich
- He spoke well who said that graves are the footprints of angels. Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Loss is only temporary when you believe in God!
- To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die. Thomas Campbell
- There are no goodbyes for us. Wherever you are, you will always be in my heart. Mahatma Gandhi
- We understand death only after it has placed its hands on someone we love. Anne L. de Stael
- God gave us memory so that we might have roses in December.
- You gave me a forever within the numbered days, and I’m grateful.
- Like a bird singing in the rain, let grateful memories survive in time of sorrow. Robert Louis Stevenson
- Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you. Hebrews 13:5
- Ain’t no shame in holding on to grief, as long as you make room for other things too. The Wire
- The deeper that sorrow carves into your being,the more joy you can contain.
Is not the cup that holds your wine the very cup that was burned in the potter’s oven?
And is not the lute that soothes your spirit, the very wood that was hollowed with knives?
When you are joyous, look deep into your heart and you shall find it is only that which has given you sorrow that is giving you joy.
When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.
Sad Quotes for One’s Loss
- Your absence makes the whole world seem empty. No words can explain the sadness in the depths of my soul. For as long as the world keeps spinning, I will miss you.
- One of the greatest treasures of my life has left me so unexpectedly. Never will I know true happiness again.
- I have lost her forever, so I have to begin an indescribable journey of sadness.
- I am certain that in another time and life we shall run into each other again. Until then, I shall live the rest of my life in darkness.
- Nothing makes this world feel emptier than when you want someone special in it. Miss you.
- The thought of spending another second of my life in the company of the agony of her departure from this planet is so incredibly unbearable.
- Your absence kills me every second. No matter how long I live, time can never heal the agony brought on by your demise.
- The brightest star in my sky is gone forever.
- This sadness will last until the day I die. I’m absolutely certain of it, for my soul has been shredded into a thousand pieces.
- Now my heart and soul are truly damaged beyond repair.
- I feel incredible sorrow with every breath I take because the one I truly love has fallen off the earth’s surface.
- Living in this world without that special one who completes you is nothing but hell.
- She might be gone, but in our hearts, her life goes on forever.
- There’s no loss as mighty and painful as losing a true friend.
- Never in my life has a loss left me this lifeless.
- The hardest thing to do is forget someone who was the reason for your smile.
- Hell on earth is the death of a treasured one.
- Your departure has squeezed out every ounce of happiness from my soul to the point where I feel like an astronaut lost in the blackness of space all alone.
- The day I stop grieving over her death is the day I stop loving her. And I can never stop loving her.
- In your time of grief remember that none of us really die- we are kept alive by the living in the memories that we made with them while we were here. Hold onto those memories. It is the key to living forward.
- Someone once said that death is not truly the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is never really living by failing to love well. Take comfort in the love you’ve shared.
- Remember that no one is ever truly alone. The thoughts and feelings of love we shared with other will live in us till the day we die. And then WE will live on too.
- In your time of grief don’t let your mind and heart be filled with only sadness. Let your life be filled with the happy memories you shared with the one you’ve lost. For it is by those memories that you know it was all worth living.
- They say that we experience grief in two parts: first, by accepting the loss. And then by remaking a new life while holding the memories close. It’s finding the balance between these two that lets us move forward without forgetting what has past.
- Even though death is usually an occasion for tears, we don’t have to cry at the passing of our loved ones forever. As the days go by, we will realize that it is the love we shared with them that will turn our tears into joy, laughter, and happiness. Because we know we will be with them again.
- I know that a broken heart is the hardest thing to endure. It hurts more because you must endure it without anyone else seeing it. But please know this, you are not alone. Time and friendship can heal so many things. And I offer you both of mine.
- There is no real fear in death. Only the birthday of eternity. In your time of sorrow, remember that you will meet them again to celebrate it all together.
- It’s true that we never really get over a loss. But we can let the pain help us evolve and grow to love others as much as those we’ve lost.
- At your time of loss, I wish you all the strength, hope, happiness, and peace that your soul needs to heal. Better days are yet ahead if you believe it.
They say that missing someone can come at us in waves, and today you may feel yourself drowning. But remember that in this difficult time the memory of the love you shared will be a boat sailing to guide you through the night.
Quotes For a Loss of Someone I Held Dear
- Your death has left a wound in my heart no one can ever heal. I will long for your presence all my days.
- My soul died with her.
- You loved me in times when I even forgot to love myself. How can life be so cruel to take you away from me?!
- They say grief, no matter how strong, has a way of disappearing. However, I don’t think the grief I feel in my heart over her demise will ever fade away.
- What mattered most in my life is gone. What a terrible place this world is!
- With my beloved friend gone, my world has turned upside down. Never I’m I going to be the happy person I used to be.
- My best friend’s demise has made me lose my appetite for living.
- When you lose someone you love and treasure, your entire universe ceases to exist. That’s exactly what’s happening to me.
- I lost the most important part of myself when I lost her. The agony of her death will walk with me for a lifetime.
- Today life has forced a truly beloved one to abandon me in great pain. The agony my soul feels is beyond description.
- My heart is beating, I’m breathing, I still have a pulse yet I am dead. Can someone please wake me up from this horrible nightmare?
- I have seen really dark times in my life but never a darkness this black.
- I loved her every second of my life. And now I’m going to miss her every second of my life.
- They say he’s dead. But in my eyes, mind and heart, he’s not dead. He’s just on a vacation with God. I can’t wait to see him again beyond the clouds.
- Death might have brutally stolen you from me but it can never steal the wonderful memories of you that reside safely in my mind.
- Unthinkable agony is all I feel.
- When we take time to think about those that have left us, we realize that they have not left us at all. They are simply waiting for us to catch up to them in another life as beautiful as the one we shared together.
- If only I could have you back again for one day- I would sit with you a little longer, talk less and listen more, say more hellos and fewer goodbyes. But now goodbye is all there is. So now I must hold onto all the hellos I can remember that we shared. That is what I will miss the most.
- Death has tried to part us, but we are not truly separated, we are simply living in two different rooms now. In the same book but two different chapters. Our ending will be the same: always together- forever.
- LUCKY. Is the word I would describe about the life we shared. I was the lucky one that got to feel your love, your embrace, and your thoughts. I will cherish every moment forever.
- They say that distance is just a way to measure how far love can travel. And ours can travel the deepest and the farthest. Because it was real. I love you with all my heart. Now and forever.
Sad Quotes Addressed to Someone I Lost
- Sadness has been my daily bread since you left me alone in this cold world. I wish you had taken a moment to teach me how to live without you. I miss you very, very much.
- I used to be a deeply happy person but I’m now a deeply sad person. I will give anything to bring you back to this world.
- To the world, you are gone, but I know you are only sleeping in the bosom of your Creator. We shall meet again soon, my dear.
- My universe came to a complete end the moment you left. Now sadness has become an integral part of me. It’s in my bones and in my blood.
- When they buried you, they buried with you all the beautiful colors of my world.
- Come back to me. Even for a second and I will be in paradise. I miss you so much.
- Losing you is undoubtedly the worst pain I’ve ever felt.
- What kind of friend would I be if I abandoned our friendship because you have left this world?
- They say that the soul is never awakened until one has loved deeply- So I must thank you for making me feel alive while you were here. Now I give my blessing for your soul to be free and awaken others. As long as you remember I was your first.
- The first days without you were the hardest to endure. But now as time has passed I see that my grief is a small price to bare in comparison to how deeply you loved me all those years. I only wish that I can do your memory justice by loving as well as you.
- Every time I think about you my heart skips a beat and hurts for days. But I know this is only because it was always beating for you. You are the meaning of love for me and I will miss you always.
- I didn’t just lose you. I lost my entire life.
- Death only had the power to end your life, but not the special bond we share.
- You are now a memory I will cherish and treasure until the day I too close my eyes for the last time.
- You were the only one who saw the bad in me and still loved me for who I truly was. How do you expect me to live without you?
- You might have floated so far away from this world and me, but you shall eternally reside in my heart and mind like you’ve always done.
- My sole intention in life was to grow old and die with you but cruel death had other plans for us. I’m going to miss you until the day this cruel monster comes for me too. What a wonderful day that would be!
- Your departure makes me feel as though I have fallen into a black bottomless abyss. Goodbye, my dear. Never will this earth be blessed again with a wonderful angel like you.
- To my dear that I will never let go: although time and space has now separated us, time itself cannot stretch far enough to keep our souls apart from each other. In eternity, space will mean nothing and we will be together again. Wait for me until that day.
- Dear lost soul, I know you will be waiting for me on the other side, but I just want you to know: its so hard to try and forget someone who gave me so much worth remembering. I won’t forget you because I don’t want to forget.
- Although my soul is lost in a world of sadness now that you are gone, I would have never known happiness if it had not been for you. I will miss you forever.
Books on Grief and Bereavement
You may also like: