Blissful Words | The Best Merry Christmas Quotes of All Time
An established Christian celebration and a time of gratitude and forgiveness, Christmas has also turned into a universally accepted holiday season – and, admittedly, a time for the shopping spree of the year! Such a big event is inevitably food for thought and a great opportunity for commentators to comment on and for writers to write about. Calvin Coolidge, the 30th President of the United States said about Christmas: “Christmas is not a time nor a season, but a state of mind. To cherish peace and goodwill, to be plenteous in mercy, is to have the real spirit of Christmas.”
In commemoration of this year’s celebrations, we have created a list of some of the most famous Merry Christmas quotes of all time to help you wish Joyeux Noël and Happy New Year and fill your heart with joy.
Feast your eyes on these beautiful quotes in the compiled list which spans a range of moods from funny to inspirational lines, from joyous to cute words by writers, comedians, presenters and other celebrities. Use any of them to make this Yuletide season a more exciting experience for yourself, your loved ones, family and friends alike. You can also use these quotes in your own Christmas cards hoping this holiday season brings peace and joy to all.
- 1 Short Christmas Quotes
- 2 Best Merry Christmas Quotes
- 3 Funny Christmas Quotes
- 4 Family Christmas Quotes
- 5 Christmas Love Quotes
- 6 Inspirational Christmas Quotes
- 7 Christmas Bible Quotes
- 8 Christmas Quotes For Friends
- 9 Christmas Tree Quotes
- 10 Cute Christmas Quotes
- 11 Christmas Quotes For Kids
- 12 Famous Christmas Quotes
- 13 Christmas Quotes On Images
Short Christmas Quotes
- Christmas is joy, religious joy, an inner joy of light and peace. Pope Francis
- Christmas isn’t a season. It’s a feeling. Edna Ferber
- Let’s be naughty and save Santa the trip. Gary Allan
- At Christmas, all roads lead home. Marjorie Holmes
- Christmas is the day that holds all time together. Alexander Smith
- It’s not how much we give but how much love we put into giving. Mother Theresa
- You know you’re getting old when Santa starts looking younger. Robert Paul
- Just remember, the true spirit of Christmas lies in your heart. The Polar Express
- Christmas is not as much about opening our presents as opening our hearts. Janice Maeditere
- How many observe Christ’s birthday! How few, His precepts! Benjamin Franklin
- Peace on earth will come to stay, when we live Christmas every day. Helen Steiner Rice
- Christmas is doing a little something extra for someone.
- He who has not Christmas in his heart will never find it under a tree.
- A good conscience is a continual Christmas. Benjamin Franklin
- Christmas isn’t just a day, it’s a frame of mind. Valentine Davies
- Get your fat pants ready, it’s Christmas! Unknown
- Christmas is forever, not for just one day. For loving, sharing, giving, are not to put away. Norman Wesley Brooks
- The best things in life aren’t things. Art Buchwald
- Christmas is a season not only of rejoicing but of reflection. Winston Churchill
- The smells of Christmas are the smells of childhood. Richard Paul Evans
- May you never be too grown up to search the skies on Christmas Eve. Unknown
- The best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear. Will Ferrell
- The joy at Christmas is celestial bliss.
- Christmas gives us the opportunity to pause and reflect on the important things around us. David Cameron
- May all your Christmases be white. Irving Berlin
- Christmas works like glue, it keeps us all sticking together. Rosie Thomas
- Christmas is a time for families.
- Cinnamon is not a controlled substance.
- A Christmas without a book for a present is a disappointment. Margareta Magnusson
- For it is in giving that we receive. Francis of Assisi
- God bless us, every one. Charles Dickens
- The magic of Christmas lives inside of you, always. James Barbato
- I’m making a list. And checking it twice.
- Christmas teaches us to be loving, kind, giving, forgiving, and appreciating.
Best Merry Christmas Quotes
- It’s the most wonderful time of the year! Edward Pola and George Wyle
- Gifts of time and love are surely the basic ingredients of a truly merry Christmas. Peg Bracken
- I wish you the magic of Christmas. Let it fill your hearts and minds with love, joy, peace, and happiness.
- Christmas magic is silent. You don’t hear it — you feel it. You know it. You believe it. Kevin Alan Milne
- The Christmas spirit is a spirit of giving and forgiving. James Cash Penney
- Christmas waves a magic wand over this world, and behold, everything is softer and more beautiful.
- Of course there is a Santa Claus. It’s just that no single somebody could do all he has to do. So the Lord has spread the task among us all. That’s why everybody is Santa Claus. I am. You are. Truman Capote, One Christmas
- I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
- Christmas means fellowship, feasting, giving and receiving, a time of good cheer, home. W.J. Tucker
- Probably the reason we all go so haywire at Christmas time with the endless unrestrained and often silly buying of gifts is that we don’t quite know how to put our love into words. Harlan Miller
- Christmas is a season for kindling the fire for hospitality in the hall, the genial flame of charity in the heart. Washington Irving
- Unless we make Christmas an occasion to share our blessings, all the snow in Alaska won’t make it ‘white.’ Bing Crosby
- And that, of course, is the message of Christmas. We are never alone. Not when the night is darkest, the wind coldest, the world seemingly most indifferent…Taylor Caldwell
- When purchasing gifts becomes the focal point of the season, we lose focus on what’s truly important.
- One of the most glorious messes in the world is the mess created in the living room on Christmas Day. Don’t clean it up too quickly. Andy Rooney
- My idea of Christmas, whether old-fashioned or modern, is very simple: loving others. Come to think of it, why do we have to wait for Christmas to do that?
- Santa Claus is anyone who loves another and seeks to make them happy; who gives himself by thought or word or deed in every gift that he bestows. Edwin Osgood Grover
- You can tell a lot about a person by the way they handle three things: a rainy day, lost luggage and tangled Christmas lights. Maya Angelou
- A Christmas candle is a lovely thing; It makes no noise at all, But softly gives itself away; While quite unselfish, it grows small.
- Christmas is a time in which, of all times in the year, the memory of every remediable sorrow, wrong, and trouble in the world around us, should be active with us, not less than our own experiences, for all good. Charles Dickens
- Oh the weather outside is frightful,
But the fire is so delightful,
And since we’ve no place to go,
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.
Let it Snow
Funny Christmas Quotes
- The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live. George Carlin
- Nothing’s as mean as giving a little child something useful for Christmas. Kin Hubbard
- At Christmas, tea is compulsory. Relatives are optional. Robert Godden
- Christmas to a child is the first terrible proof that to travel hopefully is better than to arrive. Stephen Fry
- The two most joyous times of the year are Christmas morning and the end of school. Alice Cooper
- Christmas is a baby shower that went totally overboard. Andy Borowitz
- Santa Claus has the right idea. Visit people only once a year. Victor Borge
- There are always Uncles at Christmas.
- That’s the true spirit of Christmas; people being helped by people other than me. Jerry Seinfeld
- I once wanted to become an atheist, but I gave up – they have no holidays. Henny Youngman
- Its easier to feel a little more spiritual with a couple of bucks in your pocket. Craig Ferguson
- I love Christmas. I receive a lot of wonderful presents I can’t wait to exchange. Henny Youngman
- The worst gift I was given is when I got out of rehab that Christmas; a bottle of wine. It was delicious. Craig Ferguson
- There has been only one Christmas — the rest are anniversaries. W. J. Cameron
- What I like about Christmas is that you can make people forget the past with the present. Don Marquis
- Christmas is mostly for children. But we adults can enjoy it too, until the credit card bills arrive. Unknown
- Santa Claus wears a Red Suit, He must be a communist. And a beard and long hair, Must be a pacifist. What’s in that pipe that he’s smoking? Arlo Guthrie
- There are three stages of man: he believes in Santa Claus; he does not believe in Santa Claus; he is Santa Claus. Bob Phillips
Family Christmas Quotes
- Christmas is the season of joy, of gift-giving, and of families united. Norman Vincent Peale
- The best of all gifts around any Christmas tree: the presence of a happy family all wrapped up in each other. Burton Hills
- Hark how the bells, Sweet silver bells, All seem to say, Throw cares away! Carol of the Bells
- Freshly cut Christmas trees smelling of stars and snow and pine resin—inhale deeply and fill your soul with wintry night. John J. Geddes
- Blessed is the season which engages the whole world in a conspiracy of love.
- When we recall Christmas past, we usually find that the simplest things – not the great occasions – give off the greatest glow of happiness.
- Such magic there is in Christmas to draw the absent ones home and if unable to go in the body the thoughts will hover there. Caroline Fraser
- Let us have music for Christmas…
Sound the trumpet of joy and rebirth;
Let each of us try, with a song in our hearts,
To bring peace to men on earth.
Mildred L. Jarrell
- I truly believe that if we keep telling the Christmas story, singing the Christmas songs, and living the Christmas spirit, we can bring joy and happiness and peace to this world. Norman Vincent Peale
- Were I a philosopher, I should write a philosophy of toys, showing that nothing else in life need to be taken seriously, and that Christmas Day in the company of children is one of the few occasions on which men become entirely alive. Robert Lynd
- Christmas now surrounds us, Happiness is everywhere. Our hands are busy with many tasks as carols fill the air. Shirley Sallay
- Christmas isn’t a parade or concert but a piece of home you keep in your heart wherever you go.
- Christmas is a bridge. We need bridges as the river of time flows past. Today’s Christmas should mean creating happy hours for tomorrow and reliving those of yesterday.
- The merry family gatherings –
The old, the very young;
The strangely lovely way they
Harmonize in carols sung.
For Christmas is tradition time –
Traditions that recall
The precious memories down the years,
The sameness of them all.
Helen Lowrie Marshall
Christmas Love Quotes
- Every time we love, every time we give, it’s Christmas. Dale Evans
- Love the giver more than the gift. Brigham Young
- There’s snowbody like you! Unknown
- Let love be the greatest gift you give to one another.
- As long as we love, there will always be Christmas.
- She was what made Christmas feel like home.
- She told me that love has a magic all its own.
- I hate the radio this time of year because they play “All I Want For Christmas Is You” like, every other song. And that’s just not enough. Bridger Winegar
- Remember this December, that love weighs more than gold. Josephine Daskam Bacon
- To love is to give hope to even the darkest atmosphere.
- I just want you for my own
More than you could ever know
Make my wish come true oh
All I want for Christmas is you
Mariah Carey, Walter N. Afanasieff
Inspirational Christmas Quotes
- Christmas is most truly Christmas when we celebrate it by giving the light of love to those who need it most. Ruth Carter Stapleton
- Christmas is not a time nor a season, but a state of mind. To cherish peace and goodwill, to be plenteous in mercy, is to have the real spirit of Christmas.
- Christmas gift suggestions: to your enemy, forgiveness. To an opponent, tolerance. To a friend, your heart. To a customer, service. To all, charity. To every child, a good example. To yourself, respect. Oren Arnold
- Want to keep Christ in Christmas? Feed the hungry, clothe the naked, forgive the guilty, welcome the unwanted, care for the ill, love your enemies, and do unto others as you would have done unto you.
- As we give presents at Christmas, we need to recognize that sharing our time and ourselves is such an important part of giving. Gordon B. Hinckley
- Christmas is the spirit of giving without a thought of getting. It is happiness because we see joy in people. It is forgetting self and finding time for others. It is discarding the meaningless and stressing the true values. Thomas S. Monson
- What is Christmas? It is tenderness for the past, courage for the present, hope for the future. Agnes M. Pahro
- As long as we know in our hearts what Christmas ought to be, Christmas is. Eric Sevareid
- Every gift which is given, even though it be small, is in reality great, if it is given with affection. Pindar
- Christmas is a season of outdoor lights, but it is also the season of enlightening the heart and mind.
Christmas Bible Quotes
- And there were shepherds out in the field, keeping watch by night. And an angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them. Luke 2:8-9
- Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable Gift. 2 Corinthians 9:15
- When they saw the star, they were overjoyed. Matthew 2:10
- Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost. Romans 15:13
- And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. John 5:11
- Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning. James 1:17
- A generous person will prosper; whoever refreshes others will be refreshed. Proverbs 11:25
- The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth. John 1:14
Christmas Quotes For Friends
- It is Christmas in the heart that puts Christmas in the air. W.T. Ellis
- Christmas is like candy; it slowly melts in your mouth sweetening every taste bud, making you wish it could last forever. Richelle E. Goodrich
- Nothing ever seems too bad, too hard, or too sad when you’ve got a Christmas tree in the living room. Nora Roberts
- Christmas is a time when you get homesick — even when you’re home. Carol Nelson
- Christmas is a time when everyone wants his past forgotten and his present remembered. Phyllis Diller
- Remember. No man is a failure who has friends. Thanks for the wings. Love, Clarence. It’s a Wonderful Life
- There is nothing in the world so irresistibly contagious as laughter and good humor. Charles Dickens
- Christmas may be a day of feasting, or of prayer, but always it will be a day of remembrance—a day in which we think of everything we have ever loved. Augusta E. Randel
- Christmas is a tonic for our souls. It moves us to think of others rather than of ourselves. It directs our thoughts to giving. B. C. Forbes
- During Christmas, open your heart with love to appreciate the beauty of life and all the presents that you have received from the earth. Debasish Mridha
- Christmas brings out the best in us, so let’s let us treat each day like it is Christmas.
- The earth has grown old with its burden of care, but at Christmas it always is young, the heart of the jewel burns lustrous and fair, and its soul full of music breaks the air, when the song of angels is sung. Phillips Brooks
- The day you stop getting excited about Christmas is the day you become officially old.
- A lovely thing about Christmas is that it’s compulsory, like a thunderstorm, and we all go through it together. Garrison Keillor
- At Christmas, play and make good cheer, for Christmas comes but once a year. Thomas Tusser
- City sidewalks
Dressed in holiday style
In the air
There’s a feeling
Christmas Tree Quotes
- The perfect Christmas tree? All Christmas trees are perfect! Charles N. Barnard
- There’s no experience quite like cutting your own live Christmas tree out of your neighbor’s yard. Dan Florence
- Some Christmas tree ornaments do more than glitter and glow, they represent a gift of love given a long time ago. Tom Baker
- The Christmas tree is a symbol of love, not money. There’s a kind of glory to them when they’re all lit up that exceeds anything all the money in the world could buy. Andy Rooney
- The smell of pine needles, spruce and the smell of a Christmas tree – those to me, are the scents of the holidays. Blake Lively
- Never worry about the size of your Christmas tree. In the eyes of children, they are all 30 feet tall. Larry Wilde
- There’s nothing cozier than a Christmas tree all lit up.
Cute Christmas Quotes
- Love is what’s in the room with you at Christmas if you stop opening presents and listen. Author unknown, attributed to a 7-year-old named Bobby
- Christmas is a stocking stuffed with sugary goodness. Mo Rocca
- Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmas-time. Laura Ingalls Wilder
- Christmas is a piece of one’s home that one carries in one’s heart. Freya Stark
- Like snowflakes, my Christmas memories gather and dance – each beautiful, unique, and gone too soon. Deborah Whipp
- I wish we could put up some of the Christmas spirit in jars and open a jar of it every month. Harlan Miller
- I love the Christmas-tide, and yet,
I notice this, each year I live;
I always like the gifts I get,
But how I love the gifts I give!
- I heard the bells on Christmas Day
Their old, familiar carols play,
And wild and sweet
The words repeat
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!
- It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas;
Soon the bells will start,
And the thing that will make them ring
Is the carol that you sing
Right within your heart.
- Oh! lovely voices of the sky
Which hymned the Saviour’s birth,
Are ye not singing still on high,
Ye that sang, “Peace on earth”?
Christmas Quotes For Kids
- Seeing is believing, but sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can’t see. The Polar Express
- Christmas Day is in our grasp, as long as we have hands to clasp! Christmas Day will always be, just as long, as we have we! Welcome Christmas while we stand, heart to heart, and hand in hand! Dr. Seuss
- Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn’t before! What if Christmas, he thought, doesn’t come from a store. What if Christmas…perhaps…means a little bit more!
- Christmas, my child, is love in action. Every time we love, every time we give, it’s Christmas. Dale Evans
- One of the things that Christmas reminds us is that Jesus Christ was once a child. Hark Herald Sarmiento
- Teacher says every time a bell rings, an angel gets his wings. Zuzu Bailey, It’s a Wonderful Life
- If you believe in the spirit of Christmas, you believe in true magic. Toni Sorenson
- T’was the night before Christmas, when all through the house, not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse. Clement Clarke Moore
Famous Christmas Quotes
- At Christmas, I am always struck by how the spirit of togetherness lies also at the heart of the Christmas story. A young mother and a dutiful father with their baby were joined by poor shepherds and visitors from afar. They came with their gifts to worship the Christ child. Queen Elizabeth II
- Christmas it seems to me is a necessary festival; we require a season when we can regret all the flaws in our human relationships: it is the feast of failure, sad but consoling.
- Christmas makes me happy no matter what time of year it comes around. Bryan White
- I don’t think Christmas is necessarily about things. It’s about being good to one another. Carrie Fisher
- I stopped believing in Santa Claus when I was six. Mother took me to see him in a department store and he asked for my autograph. Shirley Temple
- When you give up yourself, that’s when you will feel the true spirit of Christmas. And that’s giving that’s serving others and that’s when you feel fulfilled. Joel Osteen
- Christmas is the gentlest, loveliest festival of the revolving year — and yet, for all that, when it speaks, its voice has strong authority. W.J. Cameron
- There is at Christmas time a great deal of hypocrisy, honourable hypocrisy, hypocrisy undertaken pour le bon motif, c’est entendu, but nevertheless hypocrisy!
- I like to compare the holiday season with the way a child listens to a favorite story. The pleasure is in the familiar way the story begins, the anticipation of familiar turns it takes, the familiar moments of suspense, and the familiar climax and ending. Fred Rogers
- For many, Christmas is also a time for coming together. But for others, service will come first. Queen Elizabeth II
- Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. Dave Barry
- I love the atmosphere at the mall – everything about Christmas. I don’t think anything specific gets me in the holiday spirit except for the holidays themselves. Drake Bell
- No matter what, I always make it home for Christmas. I love to go to my Tennessee Mountain Home and invite all of my nieces and nephews and their spouses and kids and do what we all like to do – eat, laugh, trade presents and just enjoy each other… and sometimes I even dress up like Santa Claus! Dolly Parton
- It snowed last year too: I made a snowman and my brother knocked it down and I knocked my brother down and then we had tea.
- Let the children have their night of fun and laughter. Let the gifts of Father Christmas delight their play. Let us grown-ups share to the full in their unstinted pleasures before we turn again to the stern task and the formidable years that lie before us, resolved that, by our sacrifice and daring, these same children shall not be robbed of their inheritance or denied their right to live in a free and decent world. Winston Churchill
- Instead of being a time of unusual behavior, Christmas is perhaps the only time in the year when people can obey their natural impulses and express their true sentiments without feeling self-conscious and, perhaps, foolish. Christmas, in short, is about the only chance a man has to be himself. Francis C. Farley
- I travel to be replenished with beauty, for travel makes the beauty of this world seem like a Christmas that never ends.
- As for me, I like to take my Christmas a little at a time, all through the year. David Grayson
Christmas Quotes On Images
You may also like:
Click here for our best birthday wishes.