An established Christian celebration and a time of gratitude and forgiveness, Christmas has also turned into a universally accepted holiday season – and, admittedly, a time for the shopping spree of the year! Such a big event is inevitably food for thought and a great opportunity for commentators to comment on and for writers to write about. Calvin Coolidge, the 30th President of the United States said about Christmas: “Christmas is not a time nor a season, but a state of mind. To cherish peace and goodwill, to be plenteous in mercy, is to have the real spirit of Christmas.”
In commemoration of this year’s celebrations, we have created a list of some of the most famous Merry Christmas quotes of all time to help you wish Joyeux Noël and Happy New Year and fill your heart with joy.
Feast your eyes on these beautiful quotes in the compiled list which spans a range of moods from funny to inspirational lines, from joyous to cute words by writers, comedians, presenters and other celebrities. Use any of them to make this Yuletide season a more exciting experience for yourself, your loved ones, family and friends alike. You can also use these quotes in your own Christmas cards hoping this holiday season brings peace and joy to all.
Best Merry Christmas Quotes
- It’s the most wonderful time of the year! Edward Pola and George Wyle
- Christmas is a piece of one’s home that one carries in one’s heart. Freya Stark
- Gifts of time and love are surely the basic ingredients of a truly merry Christmas. Peg Bracken
- I wish you the magic of Christmas. Let it fill your hearts and minds with love, joy, peace, and happiness.
- Christmas magic is silent. You don’t hear it — you feel it. You know it. You believe it. Kevin Alan Milne
- Every gift which is given, even though it be small, is in reality great, if it is given with affection. Pindar
- Like snowflakes, my Christmas memories gather and dance – each beautiful, unique, and gone too soon. Deborah Whipp
- The Christmas spirit is a spirit of giving and forgiving. James Cash Penney
- Christmas waves a magic wand over this world, and behold, everything is softer and more beautiful.
- Of course there is a Santa Claus. It’s just that no single somebody could do all he has to do. So the Lord has spread the task among us all. That’s why everybody is Santa Claus. I am. You are. Truman Capote, One Christmas
- I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
- Christmas means fellowship, feasting, giving and receiving, a time of good cheer, home. W.J. Tucker
- Probably the reason we all go so haywire at Christmas time with the endless unrestrained and often silly buying of gifts is that we don’t quite know how to put our love into words. Harlan Miller
- If you believe in the spirit of Christmas, you believe in true magic. Toni Sorenson
- Christmas is a season for kindling the fire for hospitality in the hall, the genial flame of charity in the heart. Washington Irving
- Unless we make Christmas an occasion to share our blessings, all the snow in Alaska won’t make it ‘white.’ Bing Crosby
- And that, of course, is the message of Christmas. We are never alone. Not when the night is darkest, the wind coldest, the world seemingly most indifferent…Taylor Caldwell
- When purchasing gifts becomes the focal point of the season, we lose focus on what’s truly important.
- One of the most glorious messes in the world is the mess created in the living room on Christmas Day. Don’t clean it up too quickly. Andy Rooney
- My idea of Christmas, whether old-fashioned or modern, is very simple: loving others. Come to think of it, why do we have to wait for Christmas to do that?
- Santa Claus is anyone who loves another and seeks to make them happy; who gives himself by thought or word or deed in every gift that he bestows. Edwin Osgood Grover
- You can tell a lot about a person by the way they handle three things: a rainy day, lost luggage and tangled Christmas lights. Maya Angelou
- A Christmas candle is a lovely thing; It makes no noise at all, But softly gives itself away; While quite unselfish, it grows small.
- Christmas is a time in which, of all times in the year, the memory of every remediable sorrow, wrong, and trouble in the world around us, should be active with us, not less than our own experiences, for all good. Charles Dickens
- Christmas is doing a little something extra for someone. Charles M. Schulz
- He who has not Christmas in his heart will never find it under a tree. Roy L. Smith
- Oh the weather outside is frightful,
But the fire is so delightful,
And since we’ve no place to go,
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.
Let it Snow
Family Christmas Quotes
- Christmas is the season of joy, of gift-giving, and of families united. Norman Vincent Peale
- The best of all gifts around any Christmas tree: the presence of a happy family all wrapped up in each other. Burton Hills
- Hark how the bells, Sweet silver bells, All seem to say, Throw cares away! Carol of the Bells
- What is Christmas? It is tenderness for the past, courage for the present, hope for the future. Agnes M. Pahro
- Christmas is not a time nor a season, but a state of mind. To cherish peace and goodwill, to be plenteous in mercy, is to have the real spirit of Christmas.
- Freshly cut Christmas trees smelling of stars and snow and pine resin—inhale deeply and fill your soul with wintry night. John J. Geddes
- Blessed is the season which engages the whole world in a conspiracy of love.
- Do give books – religious or otherwise – for Christmas. They’re never fattening, seldom sinful, and permanently personal. Lenore Hershey
- When we recall Christmas past, we usually find that the simplest things – not the great occasions – give off the greatest glow of happiness.
- Such magic there is in Christmas to draw the absent ones home and if unable to go in the body the thoughts will hover there. Caroline Fraser
- Let us have music for Christmas…
Sound the trumpet of joy and rebirth;
Let each of us try, with a song in our hearts,
To bring peace to men on earth.
Mildred L. Jarrell
- I truly believe that if we keep telling the Christmas story, singing the Christmas songs, and living the Christmas spirit, we can bring joy and happiness and peace to this world. Norman Vincent Peale
- Were I a philosopher, I should write a philosophy of toys, showing that nothing else in life need to be taken seriously, and that Christmas Day in the company of children is one of the few occasions on which men become entirely alive. Robert Lynd
- Christmas now surrounds us, Happiness is everywhere. Our hands are busy with many tasks as carols fill the air. Shirley Sallay
- Christmas isn’t a parade or concert but a piece of home you keep in your heart wherever you go.
- Christmas is a bridge. We need bridges as the river of time flows past. Today’s Christmas should mean creating happy hours for tomorrow and reliving those of yesterday.
- The merry family gatherings –
The old, the very young;
The strangely lovely way they
Harmonize in carols sung.
For Christmas is tradition time –
Traditions that recall
The precious memories down the years,
The sameness of them all.
Helen Lowrie Marshall
Best Famous Christmas Quotes
- At Christmas, I am always struck by how the spirit of togetherness lies also at the heart of the Christmas story. A young mother and a dutiful father with their baby were joined by poor shepherds and visitors from afar. They came with their gifts to worship the Christ child. Queen Elizabeth II
- Christmas it seems to me is a necessary festival; we require a season when we can regret all the flaws in our human relationships: it is the feast of failure, sad but consoling. Travels with My Aunt
- Christmas makes me happy no matter what time of year it comes around. Bryan White
- I don’t think Christmas is necessarily about things. It’s about being good to one another. Carrie Fisher
- I stopped believing in Santa Claus when I was six. Mother took me to see him in a department store and he asked for my autograph. Shirley Temple
- When you give up yourself, that’s when you will feel the true spirit of Christmas. And that’s giving that’s serving others and that’s when you feel fulfilled. Joel Osteen
- Christmas is the gentlest, loveliest festival of the revolving year — and yet, for all that, when it speaks, its voice has strong authority. W.J. Cameron
- There is at Christmas time a great deal of hypocrisy, honourable hypocrisy, hypocrisy undertaken pour le bon motif, c’est entendu, but nevertheless hypocrisy! Hercule Poirot’s Christmas
- I like to compare the holiday season with the way a child listens to a favorite story. The pleasure is in the familiar way the story begins, the anticipation of familiar turns it takes, the familiar moments of suspense, and the familiar climax and ending. Fred Rogers
- For many, Christmas is also a time for coming together. But for others, service will come first. Queen Elizabeth II
- Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. Dave Barry
- I love the atmosphere at the mall – everything about Christmas. I don’t think anything specific gets me in the holiday spirit except for the holidays themselves. Drake Bell
- No matter what, I always make it home for Christmas. I love to go to my Tennessee Mountain Home and invite all of my nieces and nephews and their spouses and kids and do what we all like to do – eat, laugh, trade presents and just enjoy each other… and sometimes I even dress up like Santa Claus! Dolly Parton
- It snowed last year too: I made a snowman and my brother knocked it down and I knocked my brother down and then we had tea. A Child’s Christmas in Wales
- Let the children have their night of fun and laughter. Let the gifts of Father Christmas delight their play. Let us grown-ups share to the full in their unstinted pleasures before we turn again to the stern task and the formidable years that lie before us, resolved that, by our sacrifice and daring, these same children shall not be robbed of their inheritance or denied their right to live in a free and decent world. Winston Churchill
- Instead of being a time of unusual behavior, Christmas is perhaps the only time in the year when people can obey their natural impulses and express their true sentiments without feeling self-conscious and, perhaps, foolish. Christmas, in short, is about the only chance a man has to be himself. Francis C. Farley
- I travel to be replenished with beauty, for travel makes the beauty of this world seem like a Christmas that never ends.
- As for me, I like to take my Christmas a little at a time, all through the year. David Grayson
- Christmas, my child, is love in action. Every time we love, every time we give, it’s Christmas. Dale Evans
Merry Christmas Quotes On Images
You may also like:
Jingle All the Way | 80+ Funny Merry Christmas Memes
Spread the Spirit! Top 60+ Christmas Quotes of All Time
The 250 Warmest Merry Christmas Wishes and Cute Cards with Season’s Greetings