Love Quotes | Finding the Pathway to Their Heart
Although love is the only powerful sentiment that moves us forward, we often claim that words of real love can be mellow and banal. Then again, when it’s time to express the true feelings inside your heart, there’s no other way but to utter your truth. Love quotes are meant to be addressed to one person at a time, so reading them in public may tend to diminish their strength. However, when directed towards a person we love, they become complete and their meaning unravels to reveal their true sentimental impact.
Here we have collected popular quotes by famous people to help you find the way to your loved one’s heart. When you feel short for words to describe what your soul wants to say, these famous love quotes really can’t fail. Read on, share and -of course- keep on loving passionately.
Love looks not with the eyes. William Shakespeare
- Though lovers be lost, love shall not; And death shall have no dominion. Dylan Thomas.
- Of all our games, love’s play is the only one which threatens to unsettle the soul… Marguerite Yourcenar, Memoirs of Hadrian.
- Love is the voice under all silences, the hope which has no opposite in fear; the strength so strong mere force is feebleness: the truth more first than sun, more last than star… E.E. Cummings.
- I find the best way to love someone is not to change them, but instead, help them reveal the greatest version of themselves. Steve Maraboli.
- The saddest thing about love, Joe, is that not only the love cannot last forever, but even the heartbreak is soon forgotten. William Faulkner.
- She was beautiful, but not like those girls in the magazines. She was beautiful, for the way she thought. She was beautiful, for the sparkle in her eyes when she talked about something she loved. She was beautiful, for her ability to make other people smile, even if she was sad. No, she wasn’t beautiful for something as temporary as her looks. She was beautiful, deep down to her soul. She is beautiful. F. Scott Fitzgerald.
- To be brave is to love someone unconditionally, without expecting anything in return. To just give. That takes courage, because we don’t want to fall on our faces or leave ourselves open to hurt. Madonna.
- Love Jo all your days, if you choose, but don’t let it spoil you, for it’s wicked to throw away so many good gifts because you can’t have the one you want. Louisa May Alcott, Little Women.
- Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. The consciousness of loving and being loved brings a warmth and a richness to life that nothing else can bring. Oscar Wilde.
- That which God said to the rose, and caused it to laugh in full-blown beauty, He said to my heart, and made it a hundred times more beautiful. Rumi.
- Through my love for you, I want to express my love for the whole cosmos, the whole of humanity, and all beings. By living with you, I want to learn to love everyone and all species. If I succeed in loving you, I will be able to love everyone and all species on Earth… This is the real message of love. Thich Nhat Hanh, Teachings on Love.
Popular Quotations about Love
- “Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.” ― Kahlil Gibran
- “The power of a glance has been so much abused in love stories, that it has come to be disbelieved in. Few people dare now to say that two beings have fallen in love because they have looked at each other. Yet it is in this way that love begins, and in this way only.” ― Victor Hugo, Les Misérables
- “In your light I learn how to love. In your beauty, how to make poems. You dance inside my chest where no-one sees you, but sometimes I do, and that sight becomes this art.” ― Rumi
- “The highest function of love is that it makes the loved one a unique and irreplaceable being.” ― Tom Robbins, Jitterbug Perfume
- “The course of true love never did run smooth.” ― William Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night’s Dream
- “You can search throughout the entire universe for someone who is more deserving of your love and affection than you are yourself, and that person is not to be found anywhere. You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.” ― Gautama Buddha
- “O my Luve’s like a red, red rose that’s newly sprung in June. O my Luve’s like the melody that’s sweetly played in tune” – Robert Burns
- “Love is a better master than duty.” ― Albert Einstein
- “My great hope is to laugh as much as I cry; to get my work done and try to love somebody and have the courage to accept the love in return.” ― Maya Angelou
- “The day the power of love overrules the love of power, the world will know peace.” ― Mahatma Gandhi
- “Believe in a love that is being stored up for you like an inheritance, and have faith that in this love there is a strength and a blessing so large that you can travel as far as you wish without having to step outside it.” ― Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet
- “If I love you, what business is it of yours?” ― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- Rumi Quotes to Help you Enjoy Life
- “Goodbyes are only for those who love with their eyes. Because for those who love with heart and soul there is no such thing as separation.” ― Rumi
- “If I know what love is, it is because of you.” ― Hermann Hesse
- “People should fall in love with their eyes closed.” ― Andy Warhol
- “If you love something so much let it go. If it comes back it was meant to be; if it doesn’t it never was” ― Albert Schweitzer
- “Limitless undying love which shines around me like a million suns it calls me on and on across the universe.” – John Lennon
- “Love is a serious mental disease.” ― Plato, Phaedrus
- Check out our Albert Einstein’s Most Inspiring Quotes
- “To love someone means to see them as God intended them.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky
- “First best is falling in love. Second best is being in love. Least best is falling out of love. But any of it is better than never having been in love.” ― Maya Angelou
- “True love begins when nothing is looked for in return.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
- “Amor Fati – “Love Your Fate”, which is in fact your life.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche
- “And yet,to say the truth, reason and love keep little company together nowadays.” ― William Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night’s Dream
- “When you love you wish to do things for. You wish to sacrifice for. You wish to serve.” ― Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell to Arms
- “One should always be in love. That’s the reason one should never marry.” ― Oscar Wilde
- “There is no time for cut-and-dried monotony. There is time for work. And time for love. That leaves no other time.” ― Coco Chanel
- “Love is the strongest force the world possesses and yet it is the humblest imaginable.” ― Mahatma Gandhi
- “If you love someone but rarely make yourself available to him or her, that is not true love.” ― Thích Nhất Hạnh
- “It is better to lose your pride with someone you love rather than to lose that someone you love with your useless pride.” ― John Ruskin
- “Courage Is a Love Affair with the Unknown” ― Osho
- “If you love deeply, you’re going to get hurt badly. But it’s still worth it.” ― C.S. Lewis
- “There will never be no love at all.” ― Bob Marley
- “If you have it [love], you don’t need to have anything else, and if you don’t have it, it doesn’t matter much what else you have.” ― J.M. Barrie
- “Love insists the loved loves back” ― Dante Alighieri
- “As long as Man continues to be the ruthless destroyer of lower living beings, he will never know health or peace. For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seed of murder and pain cannot reap joy and love.” ― Pythagoras
- “When you fish for love, bait with your heart, not your brain.” ― Mark Twain, Notebook
- “Absence is to love what wind is to fire; it extinguishes the small, it inflames the great.” ― Roger de Bussy-Rabutin
- “Those who have never known the deep intimacy and the intense companionship of happy mutual love have missed the best thing that life has to give.” ― Bertrand Russell
- “…the opposite of love is not hate — it’s apathy. It’s not giving a damn. If somebody hates me, they must “feel” something … or they couldn’t possibly hate. Therefore, there’s some way in which I can get to them.” ― Leo Buscaglia
- “It’s hard to communicate anything exactly and that’s why perfect relationships between people are difficult to find.” ― Gustave Flaubert, Sentimental Education
- Sweet and Romantic Good Morning Messages
- “You don’t love because: you love despite; not for the virtues, but despite the faults.” ― William Faulkner
- “Love is a striking example of how little reality means to us.” ― Marcel Proust, In Search of Lost Time
- “Eternity is in love with the productions of time.” ― William Blake
- “A kiss may ruin a human life” ― Oscar Wilde
- “Love may forgive all infirmities and love still in spite of them: but Love cannot cease to will their removal.” ― C.S. Lewis
- “Love is the best gift because it’s free to give and priceless to receive.” ― Jarod Kintz
- 21 Rumi Quotes To Help You Open Your Mind
- “If music be the food of love, play on.” ― William Shakespeare
- “I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word in reality. This is why right, temporarily defeated, is stronger than evil triumphant.” ― Martin Luther King Jr.
- “Love is not primarily a relationship to a specific person; it is an attitude, an ordination of character which determines the relatedness of the person to the whole world as a whole, not toward one object of love” ― Erich Fromm
- “We are asleep until we fall in Love!” ― Leo Tolstoy
- “Nothing in life is worth, turning your back on, if you love it.” ― Albert Camus
- “Love is just a word until someone comes along and gives it meaning.” ― Paulo Coelho
- “Perhaps the reason we are unable to love is that we yearn to be loved, that is, we demand something (love) from our partner instead of delivering ourselves up to him demand-free and asking for nothing but his company.” ― Milan Kundera
- “Love’s gift cannot be given, it waits to be accepted.” ― Rabindranath Tagore
- “Love cannot live where there is no trust.” ― Edith Hamilton
- “Love, and you shall be loved.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “Never forget that justice is what love looks like in public” ― Cornel West
- “Once the realization is accepted that even between the closest human beings infinite distances continue, a wonderful living side by side can grow, if they succeed in loving the distance between them which makes it possible for each to see the other whole against the sky.” ― Rainer Maria Rilke
- “The fiercest anger of all, the most incurable,
Is that which rages in the place of dearest love.” ― Euripides
- “I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” ― Leo Tolstoy
- “I loved him as we always love for the first time; with idolatry and wild passion.” ― Voltaire
- “True love always makes a man better, no matter what woman inspires it.” ― Alexandre Dumas
- “Nothing is more curious and awkward than the relationship of two people who only know each other with their eyes — who meet and observe each other daily, even hourly and who keep up the impression of disinterest either because of morals or because of a mental abnormality. Between them there is listlessness and pent-up curiosity, the hysteria of an unsatisfied, unnaturally suppressed need for communion and also a kind of tense respect. Because man loves and honors man as long as he is not able to judge him, and desire is a product of lacking knowledge.” ― Thomas Mann
- “I’m yours for ever–for ever and ever. Here I stand; I’m as firm as a rock. If you’ll only trust me, how little you’ll be disappointed. Be mine as I am yours.” ― Henry James
- “Love each other in moderation. That is the key to long-lasting love. Too fast is as bad as too slow.” ― William Shakespeare
- “Age has no reality except in the physical world. The essence of a human being is resistant to the passage of time. Our inner lives are eternal, which is to say that our spirits remain as youthful and vigorous as when we were in full bloom. Think of love as a state of grace, not the means to anything, but the alpha and omega. An end in itself.” ― Gabriel García Márquez
- “He who is in love is wise and is becoming wiser, sees newly every time he looks at the object beloved, drawing from it with his eyes and his mind those virtues which it possesses.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “If you love something let it go.. if it comes back its yours” ― James Patterson
- “Never stop smiling not even when you’re sad, someone might fall in love with your smile.” ― Gabriel García Márquez
- “There is only one happiness in life, to love and be loved.” ― George Sand
- “Would the world be in the mess it is if we were loyal to love and not to countries?” ― Graham Greene
- “But if you love and must needs have desires, let these be your desires:
To melt and be like a running brook that sings its melody to the night.
To know the pain of too much tenderness.
To be wounded by your own understanding of love;
And to bleed willingly and joyfully.
To wake at dawn with a winged heart and give thanks for another day of loving;
To rest at noon hour and meditate love’s ecstasy;
To return home at eventide with gratitude;
And then to sleep with a prayer for the beloved in your heart and a song of praise on your lips.”
― Kahlil Gibran
- “Love is like a virus. It can happen to anybody at any time.” ― Maya Angelou
- “I am the poet of the poor, because I was poor when I loved; since I could not give gifts, I gave words.” ― Ovid
- “We can live without religion and meditation, but we cannot survive without human affection.” ― Dalai Lama XIV
- “I have loved to the point of madness; that which is called madness, that which to me, is the only sensible way to love.” ― Françoise Sagan
You may also like: