Thanksgiving Day is an American holiday dedicated to spending time with loved ones and giving thanks for a table full of food. Today’s version of Thanksgiving is based on an occurrence in Plymouth in 1621.
While food and fun are two things that come to mind during this holiday, it is important to remember what it is really about; giving thanks. Thanksgiving is a time to be near those that you love and to give thanks for all of the things in your life that you appreciate the most. A great way to demonstrate this gratefulness is to write it down and put it in a card. Whether your are sending it in a greeting card, a text message or an email, these are some great ideas of Happy Thanksgiving wishes.
Table of Contents
- Happy Thanksgiving Day Wishes
- Funny Thanksgiving Wishes
- Thanksgiving Blessings for a Thankful Dinner
- Happy Thanksgiving Quotes for a Day of Real Gratitude
- History of Thanksgiving Day
Happy Thanksgiving Day Wishes
Warm their hearts with these great Thanksgiving wishes.
- May you never concentrate on the things that you don’t have but rather on the things that you have been blessed with. Warm wishes for a wonderful Thanksgiving.
- Wishing you a super joyous Thanksgiving! May your home be filled with happiness and love.
- May you and your entire family receive the choicest of God’s blessings on Thanksgiving and on all the days you grace this world with your lives.
- Let’s give thanks on this wonderful day, tomorrow and forever. Happy Thanksgiving Day!
- Wishing you a blessed Thanksgiving. It’s my sincere hope that this beautiful day will give you more reasons to thank God every day for all the good things He has blessed you with.
- You have more than a billion reasons to be thankful to God today and always. Happy Thanksgiving Day.
- Hurray! It’s Thanksgiving again! As you enjoy the company of your family and good friends, may your heart never tire of being grateful for the blessings in your life.
- Look around you and be thankful of all the priceless things that you have been blessed with! Happy Thanksgiving, my dear.
- God showers us with priceless gifts every morning we wake up from sleep. Today you have the chance to say the words “Thank you, God”. Don’t let anything prevent you from saying these words today. Happy Thanksgiving.
- May this beautiful Thanksgiving Day fill your heart with the most important creation of God – happiness. Happy Thanksgiving!
- Every morning you rise from your slumber is more than enough to say thank you to God, for you have been blessed with something that not even all the wealth in the world can buy.
- What better day to take a moment to appreciate all the blessings of our lives than today?! Happy Thanksgiving Day!
- May your home be filled with love, laughter and the aroma of roasted turkey. Happy Thanksgiving.
- The best things in life come free to us from Heaven. Let’s express our sincerest gratitude to God for all the amazing things He has blessed our lives with. Happy Thanksgiving.
- May all the good things in the universe be yours on this exceptional day and on all the days of your life. Happy Thanksgiving.
- As you savor your turkey today, don’t forget to be thankful for all the beautiful things life has blessed you with.
- May the good Lord bring you and your family oceans of laughter and happiness on this wonderful day. Happy Thanksgiving Day.
- I hope that in the midst of the merriment, you seize the opportunity to express some gratitude to God for all the good things in your life. May your Thanksgiving be as fabulous as you are!
- No matter the condition or state you find yourself in today, there is always something in your life to appreciate and be thankful for. Have a happy and blessed Thanksgiving.
- As you reunite with your family and friends to enjoy your Thanksgiving dinner, please don’t forget to remind yourself the numerous reasons there are to be grateful to God. Happy Thanksgiving, my dear.
- You have more than a million reasons to thank your Heavenly Father for all the things in your life money can’t buy. Have a blessed Thanksgiving.
- Here’s to having the time of your life with the company of good friends and family members! Have a blessed Thanksgiving.
- Since today is a special day to be grateful for all the things we are blessed with, I want to let you know how much I cherish your presence in my life and all the wonderful things you do for me. Wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving.
- This is the day that you can officially thank God for all the good fortune He constantly brings your way. Happy Thanksgiving Day.
- You are one of the most treasured people in my life. May you continue receiving the blessings of health and happiness. Have a blessed Thanksgiving.
- Mom and Dad, on this day, I just want to express my heartfelt thanks to you for your support and unconditional love. Happy Thanksgiving!
- Wishing you good fortune, love and happiness on Thanksgiving and on all the days of your existence.
- I am so blessed to share this special day with someone as wonderful as you. On this day, may happiness and laughter be yours and remain with you all the days of your life.
- May you receive in abundance all the precious things in life that no amount of money can ever buy. I hope your Thanksgiving is a memorable event.
- A person will never know true happiness until the day he/she starts being thankful for all the good things he/she is blessed with, no matter how small they may seem. Happy Thanksgiving.
- You might not be as wealthy as Bill Gates, but you have more than a billion reasons to be happy and thankful. I wish you a very joyful and blessed Thanksgiving Day.
- May you enjoy a harvest of blessings and happiness. Have a blissful Thanksgiving Day.
- What you have is much more than all the wealth in the universe put together. Appreciate your priceless possessions and give thanks to God. Happy Thanksgiving!
- Millions of people wouldn’t hesitate for a second to kill for what you have, so be thankful for all the things that you have been blessed with. And what better day to do that than on Thanksgiving!
- Thou shall not enjoy thy Thanksgiving dinner without being grateful for the things that thou have been blessed with. Happy Thanksgiving.
- May you have a heart full of gratitude as you enjoy your Turkey Day in the company of the warmth of your family and friends. Have a spectacular holiday.
- Wishing you a memorable Thanksgiving. May the happiness of this day stay with you until the end of time.
- It’s a pleasure having someone as special as you in my life. May this day fill your home with love and happiness. Happy Thanksgiving.
- You have many reasons to celebrate. Wishing you oceans of love and happiness on this festive occasion. Enjoy a blessed Thanksgiving.
- Wishing you a phenomenal Thanksgiving Day filled with happiness, good company and the smell of roasted and stuffed Turkey.
- God has filled your home with His amazing blessings, and today gives you the opportunity to thank Him from the bottom of your heart for all the wonderful things you and your family have. Enjoy this Thanksgiving to the max!
- Thanksgiving Day will never be complete without turkey. Neither would it be complete without a heart full of gratitude.
- On Thanksgiving, I wish you the best in life. May happiness and peace reign in your home on this special day and on every blessed day.
- May this Thanksgiving Day serve as a reminder that you are loved.
- May your life be filled with blessings, not only today, but every day.
- Blessings of warm hearts and stuffed bellies, from our family to yours.
- Wishing you a Thanksgiving overflowing with love, laughter and wine.
- May your Thanksgiving be filled with love, laughter and pumpkin pie.
- Our thoughts and appreciations are with you and yours on this Thanksgiving Day.
- On this day, give thanks for your fortunes while thinking of the misfortunes of others.
- May we use Thanksgiving as a reminder to examine all of the great people and things in our lives.
- On this Thanksgiving day may we all be appreciative of all that we have while being mindful of the needs of other.
- Thanksgiving is a day to appreciate all of the blessings that God has placed in my life. And, that means being thankful for you.
- We wish you a Thanksgiving Day filled with turkey, wine and pumpkin pie while reminding you to give thanks for all that you have.
- May you have a joyous Thanksgiving day spent with the friends and family you care for most and the dishes and desserts that you love best.
Funny Thanksgiving Wishes
Countless calories aside, a big laugh will please anyone on such a special day.
- May your belly be full after feasting on turkey, and may the couch you nap on be comfortable.
- “Stuffing” is a noun and a verb. It’s what you put in a turkey and stuffing your face with food is what you find yourself doing when you eat a turkey dinner.
- May the wishbone you break on this holiday grant your wish and inspire you to share your lotto winnings with the person who sent you this message.
- Turkey day is almost here, so bring your appetite and a roomy pair of pants with you so you can feel comfortable after you eat.
- They say you should eat in moderation. Since it’s Thanksgiving and I doubt that that’s going to happen, enjoy feasting and leave room for a breath mint.
- If you get into a heated discussion about politics on Thanksgiving, please don’t flip the bird. It went through enough already.
- Preparing a turkey dinner is a lot of work, so show your appreciation by eating a little of everything, including the creamed pearl onions.
- Eating turkey is poultry in motion. Enjoy the holiday!
- I know you like marshmallows, but don’t eat them off of the sweet potato pie before the guests arrive. It’s just not appropriate.
- Don’t fall asleep after eating Thanksgiving turkey. It’s rude, and you could miss out on dessert.
- Turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, candied yams, cranberry sauce, string bean casserole, stuffing, pumpkin pie, apple pie, blueberry pie, and cocktails. What’s not to like?
- Don’t even think of napping in the dog’s bed after eating half of the turkey and drinking too much wine. Max was very upset the last Thanksgiving you did that, and so was I.
- Don’t count calories while you eat turkey and all the trimmings on this special day. Like they say with age, it’s just a number.
- If you find yourself getting upset because the turkey has no wishbone, just imagine how upset the turkey was. Sending you warm wishes as you celebrate this holiday.
- All you can think about on Thanksgiving Day is hot turkey smothered in brown gravy and lots of delicious food. When you are done eating, the only thing on your mind is falling asleep on the sofa.
- Have you ever wondered why people like turkey so much, even though it’s considered fowl? Enjoy the holiday!
- You know you’ve eaten enough on Turkey Day when you look at the cranberry sauce and think you just couldn’t cram another morsel of food down your throat, and you realize how stuffed you are when you look at the stuffing.
- Every Turkey Day dinner should have a turkey large enough for leftovers, lots of yummy sides, a nice selection of desserts, a comfy recliner, and access to the sports channel. This is how most men feel.
- If you’re not overeating on Turkey Day, people may think you have an eating problem. How’s that for an excuse to pig out?
Thanksgiving Blessings for a Thankful Dinner
- Our Father in Heaven,
we give thanks for the pleasure
of gathering together for this occasion.
We give thanks for this food
prepared by loving hands.
We give thanks for life,
the freedom to enjoy it all
and all other blessings.
As we partake of this food,
we pray for health and strength
to carry on and try to live as You would have us.
This we ask in the name of Christ,
our Heavenly Father.
- Lord, behold our family here assembled. We thank Thee for this place in which we dwell; for the love that unites us; for the peace accorded us this day; for the hope with which we expect the morrow; for the health, the work, the food, and the bright skies, that make our lives delightful. Robert Louis Stevenson
- Father, We Thank Thee
For flowers that bloom about our feet, Father, we thank Thee.
For tender grass so fresh, so sweet, Father, we thank Thee.
For the song of bird and hum of bee, for all things fair we hear or see, Father in heaven, we thank Thee.
For blue of stream and blue of sky, Father, we thank Thee.
For pleasant shade of branches high, Father, we thank Thee.
For fragrant air and cooling breeze, for beauty of the blooming trees, Father in heaven, we thank Thee.
For this new morning with its light, Father, we thank Thee.
For rest and shelter of the night, Father, we thank Thee.
For health and food, for love and friends, for everything Thy goodness sends, Father in heaven, we thank Thee.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
- God, thank You for this day! Thank You for the birds and the animals, the flowers and the trees, the lakes and the streams, and the sun that rises and sets over them each day. Thank You for creating everything we see! Thank You for the life we live, and for making each person different. Thank You for Jesus, who died for us so that we can go to heaven one day just for believing in Him. What an amazing God You are! Amen. Unknown
- Oh Lord, with humble hearts we pray thy blessing this Thanksgiving Day and ask that at table place, where grateful folk say words of grace, that Thou will come to share the yield thy bounty gave to farm and field. We pray thy love will bless, oh Lord, each hearth, each home, each festive board; and that Thy peace will come to stay where candles glow, Thanksgiving Day. Brian F. King
- Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all ye lands.
Serve the Lord with gladness: come before his presence with singing.
Know ye that the Lord he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.
Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.
For the Lord is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations.
Psalm 100, KJV
- Father in heaven,We thank you for the amazing, beautiful world you created. Help us to care for it. We thank you for the wonderful, unique people you have made us to be. Help us to care for one another.We thank you for the incredible, tasty foods you have invented. Help us remember and care for those who are hungry. We thank you for the inspiring stories and teaching in the bible. Help usto share this good news with people everywhere. Amen.
- O God, we thank you for this earth, our home; For the wide sky and the blessed sun, for the salt sea and the running water, for the everlasting hills and the never-resting winds, for trees and the common grass underfoot. We thank you for our senses by which we hear the songs of birds, and see the splendor of the summer fields, and taste of the autumn fruits, and rejoice in the feel of the snow, and smell the breath of the spring. Grant us a heart wide open to all this beauty, and save our souls from being so blind that we pass unseeing when even the common thornbush is aflame with your glory. O God our creator, Who lives and reigns for ever and ever. Walter Rauschenbusch
- Thanksgiving not only tends to be the time of the year when I enjoy the best turkey meat with friends and family, but it’s also an occasion I use to wholeheartedly appreciate all the blessings of my life and say a big THANK YOU to the Almighty for His exceptional love.
- Be present at our table, Lord. Be here and everywhere adored. Thy creatures bless and grant that we may feast in paradise with Thee. John Cennick
- We thank you, Lord, for food and friends,
and for all of the joy this holiday lends.
It’s Thanksgiving Day and we can see the blessings you’ve provided our family.
Thanks to you, Lord, for another good year;
When you watch over us, there’s nothing to fear.
Happy Thanksgiving Quotes for a Day of Real Gratitude
- This Thanksgiving, I am beyond thankful for the beautiful family God has blessed me with. Thank you so much, God.
- I consider myself abundantly blessed to not only be surrounded by wonderful people but to also have the opportunity to feast with them in unity as well as in good health.
- I might not be the richest person in the world, but to me, having the opportunity to enjoy the company of my loved ones this Thanksgiving is worth more than all the money of the world.
- Many people focus on the negative aspects of American history when analyzing Thanksgiving, but that’s not what it means to me. Thanksgiving is the one day of the year that gives me the opportunity to do what’s increasingly becoming an outdated tradition – sitting at the dinner table with the entire family and enjoying a good meal. That’s what I’m most thankful for.
- What I’m I thankful or this Thanksgiving? If I were to write down all the reasons I’m thankful, all the books in the world wouldn’t be able to contain the words I write down.
- Not all Americans can trace our ancestry back to the Pilgrims, and many disagree with the foundations of the Thanksgiving holiday, but any day uniquely reserved to thanking God for the good He’s done in our lives, is one I feel honored to observe.
- I’m grateful this special day because God has blessed me with all the good things of life. Wishing everyone a happy and blessed Thanksgiving Day!
- I feel sorry for all those poor turkeys, but I hope they go out knowing their lives were sacrificed for one of the most joyous and important days of the year – Thanksgiving.
- Turkey & stuffing, mashed potatoes & gravy, macaroni & cheese, fresh baked biscuits, sweet potato pie etc – Thanksgiving is just as much a celebration of food as it is of family!
- The religious aspect of Thanksgiving may have been lost but thankfully not the familial focus, and there’s no day of the year I look more forward to seeing my family than during this holiday.
- Our forefathers celebrated Thanksgiving because, being more vulnerable to the elements than we are today, they were more aware of the significance of God’s providence. However, our need for God’s mercy is just as important today as it’s ever been, thus making this holiday just as pertinent now than ever.
- My heart overflows with joy and gratitude this Thanksgiving for all the amazing things the Universe has blessed my life with. Happy Thanksgiving Day!
- Thanksgiving is virtually meaningless if not for the opportunity to share a hearty meal and laughter with family and friends.
- With each passing year, as we grow older and go our separate ways, it becomes more difficult to get the family together, so let’s truly appreciate this Thanksgiving by recognizing that there’s no guarantee we will ever meet like this again.
- The one aspect of my life I’m most thankful for is having you, and this holiday would be meaningless if you were not here with me. Happy Thanksgiving!
- With the joy of Thanksgiving, and Christmas soon to follow, this is truly the most special time of the year.
- I try to give thanks every day for the blessings I have received in life, but today is a special occasion that truly makes me more appreciative than normal.
- Many people have come to associate Thanksgiving with the genocide of Native Americans, but we can also use this day to embrace the spirit of love, camaraderie and friendship that they extended to the first settlers of the New World.
- Even though I may not be able to be with my relatives this Thanksgiving, I still feel thankful to spend the day with my buddies, enjoying some brew, pizza and football.
- Whether with family or with friends, whether with a feast of turkey and wine or just bread and water, Thanksgiving is a day that needs to be enjoyed in the company of loved ones.
- This Thanksgiving, I want to take time to express gratitude for my family, true friends and all of the good things that God has put into my life.
- Happy Thanksgiving. And remember to give thanks for the life, good health, family, happiness and opportunity you have been blessed with.
- There is no day of the year where being a glutton feels more justifiable than on Thanksgiving.
- Yes, Thanksgiving food is delicious, but more so tends to be the personalities and demeanor of the people we spend time with on this special day.
- For people who really enjoy food, Thanksgiving would definitely be their favorite holiday of the year.
- I would venture to guess that Thanksgiving is the day of the year when restaurants receive their least amount of patronage, but I’m sure they understand and aren’t mad about it.
- To many, the real joy of Thanksgiving isn’t in being around family or even the vast amounts of food – it’s the fact that this day unofficially marks the beginning of the Christmas shopping season.
- Sending heartwarming thanks this Thanksgiving Day to everyone that has contributed to my happiness and prosperity this year. May God never stop blessing you and keeping your hearts happy.
- If Thanksgiving truly is a holiday based on celebrating a bountiful harvest, then our forefathers would be proud of the way we practice it today.
- Happy Thanksgiving to everyone who observes this holiday and has the privilege of spending it with their closest family members and friends.
- Thanksgiving Day is not only when some of the most entertaining television shows are aired, but also time is allotted for the family to enjoy them together. I’m so privileged to have the chance to celebrate this great day.
- Thanksgiving is one of the best holidays of the year because, falling on a Thursday, employees and students tend to have almost an entire week from their daily toils off to observe it.
- Thanksgiving is now the only time of the year many families get the opportunity to pray together, in the form of grace before the big meal.
History of Thanksgiving Day
► The original Thanksgiving Day was in response to the bountiful harvest that the crops had produced. Becoming a tradition, the day was celebrated each consecutive year until eventually being named a national holiday by President Abraham Lincoln.
► Thanksgiving is celebrated the last Thursday of November, each year. The day is filled with festive activities such as parades, football games, turkey trots and, most importantly, time spent with family and friends.
► The major focus of this holiday is the Thanksgiving meal. The Thanksgiving meal is traditionally composed of potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce and, the main dish, turkey. This extravagant meal is typically followed up with a slice of pecan or pumpkin pie.
You may also like: