Love Quotes About Marriage | From Jokes to True L♥ve
Marriage has been an established institution for an eternity, so one could think it’s a pretty certain bet.
This endless number of famous people, however, had a whole range of thoughts to articulate on marriage. Feel free to share these quotes when it’s your anniversary or that of a friend or simply when the time to get married is drawing nearer and you’d like to publicly state what you think. It’s a pretty hot topic, indeed.
Famous Quotes about Marriage
- Love seems the swiftest, but it is the slowest of all growths. No man or woman really knows what perfect love is until they have been married a quarter of a century. Mark Twain
- Happiness is only real when shared. Jon Krakauer
- Love is an act of endless forgiveness; a tender look which becomes a habit. Peter Ustinov
- If I get married, I want to be very married. Audrey Hepburn
- To be fully seen by somebody, then, and be loved anyhow – this is a human offering that can border on miraculous. Elizabeth Gilbert,
- Let there be spaces in your togetherness, And let the winds of the heavens dance between you. Love one another but make not a bond of love: Let it rather be a moving sea between the shores of your souls. Fill each other’s cup but drink not from one cup. Give one another of your bread but eat not from the same loaf. Sing and dance together and be joyous, but let each one of you be alone, Even as the strings of a lute are alone though they quiver with the same music. Give your hearts, but not into each other’s keeping. For only the hand of Life can contain your hearts. And stand together, yet not too near together: For the pillars of the temple stand apart, And the oak tree and the cypress grow not in each other’s shadow. Kahlil Gibran,
- The trouble is not that I am single and likely to stay single, but that I am lonely and likely to stay lonely. Charlotte Brontë
- It is not a lack of love, but a lack of friendship that makes unhappy marriages. Friedrich Nietzsche
- You know it’s never fifty-fifty in a marriage. It’s always seventy-thirty, or sixty-forty. Someone falls in love first. Someone puts someone else up on a pedestal. Someone works very hard to keep things rolling smoothly; someone else sails along for the ride. Jodi Picoult,
- After all these years, I see that I was mistaken about Eve in the beginning; it is better to live outside the Garden with her than inside it without her. Mark Twain,
- Marriages, even the best ones—perhaps especially the best ones—are an ongoing process of spoken and unspoken forgiveness.
- Never forget the nine most important words of any family-
I love you.
You are beautiful.
Please forgive me.
H. Jackson Brown Jr.
- Find a woman who makes you feel more alive. She won’t make life perfect but she’ll make it infinitely more interesting. And then love her with all that’s in you. Gayle Roper,
- If you have to convince someone to stay with you then they have already left. Shannon L. Alder
- Insecurity is the worst sense that lovers feel: sometimes the most humdrum desireless marriage seems better. Insecurity twists meanings and poisons trust. Graham Greene,
- Marriage must fight constantly against a monster which devours everything: routine. Honoré de Balzac
- I first learned the concepts of non-violence in my marriage. Mahatma Gandhi
- A sacrament–like marriage–means living a life better than your natural instincts, so that you’re modeling God. And God never gives up. Jodi Picoult
Funny Quotes about Marriage
- Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. H.M. Harwood
- Sometimes I wonder if men and women really suit each other. Perhaps they should live next door and just visit now and then. Katharine Hepburn
- Marriage is a fine institution, but I’m not ready for an institution. Mae West
- Longed for him. Got him. Shit. Margaret Atwood
- There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won’t, and that’s a wife who can’t cook and will. Robert Frost
- Someone told me the delightful story of the crusader who put a chastity belt on his wife and gave the key to his best friend for safekeeping, in case of his death. He had ridden only a few miles away when his friend, riding hard, caught up with him, saying ‘You gave me the wrong key! Anaïs Nin
- Yes, we praise women over 40 for a multitude of reasons. Unfortunately, it’s not reciprocal. For every stunning, smart, well-coiffed, hot woman over 40, there is a bald, paunchy relic in yellow pants making a fool of himself with some 22-year old waitress. Ladies, I apologize. For all those men who say, “Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?”, here’s an update for you. Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it’s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage! Andy Rooney
- Why does a woman work ten years to change a man, then complain he’s not the man she married? Barbra Streisand
- By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you’ll become happy; if you get a bad one, you’ll become a philosopher. Socrates
- Some people claim that marriage interferes with romance. There’s no doubt about it. Anytime you have a romance, your wife is bound to interfere. Groucho Marx
- I was married by a judge. I should have asked for a jury. Groucho Marx
- Do you know what it means to come home at night to a woman who’ll give you a little love, a little affection, a little tenderness? It means you’re in the wrong house, that’s what it means. Henny Youngman
- An archaeologist is the best husband a woman can have. The older she gets, the more interested he is in her. Agatha Christie
- My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met. Rodney Dangerfield
- My wife and I tried to breakfast together, but we had to stop or our marriage would have been wrecked. Winston S. Churchill
- Every culture has some ritual for joining two people together and making them stay that way, and ours is giving tax breaks. Bauvard
- Not only is love blind, it’s a little hard of hearing. Brian P. Cleary
- The man may be the head of the household. But the woman is the neck, and she can turn the head whichever way she pleases. Nia Vardalos
- Love is an ideal thing, marriage a real thing. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Long Quotes about Marriage
- When love beckons to you follow him, Though his ways are hard and steep. And when his wings enfold you yield to him, Though the sword hidden among his pinions may wound you. And when he speaks to you believe in him, Though his voice may shatter your dreams as the north wind lays waste the garden. For even as love crowns you so shall he crucify you. Even as he is for your growth so is he for your pruning. Even as he ascends to your height and caresses your tenderest branches that quiver in the sun, So shall he descend to your roots and shake them in their clinging to the earth……
But if in your fear you would seek only love’s peace and love’s pleasure, Then it is better for you that you cover your nakedness and pass out of love’s threshing-floor, Into the season-less world where you shall laugh, but not all of your laughter, and weep, but not all of your tears. Love gives naught but itself and takes naught but from itself.
Love possesses not nor would it be possessed; For love is sufficient unto love. And think not you can direct the course of love, if it finds you worthy, directs your course. Love has no other desire but to fulfill itself.
But if you love and must needs have desires, let these be your desires: To melt and be like a running brook that sings its melody to the night. To know the pain of too much tenderness. To be wounded by your own understanding of love; And to bleed willingly and joyfully. Kahlil Gibran,
- Eve was not taken out of Adam’s head to top him, neither out of his feet to be trampled on by him, but out of his side to be equal with him, under his arm to be protected by him, and near his heart to be loved by him. Matthew Henry
You May Also Like: