Memorial Day (also known as Decoration Day) is a national holiday in the United States set aside to honor American soldiers who lost their lives in military service. In addition to honoring these fallen soldiers, the holiday is also a day of celebration across the United States. Below is a compilation of some of the most profound Memorial Day quotes (both famous and original).
Share these quotes when observing this very important day.
Table of Contents
- What Day is Memorial Day?
- Famous Memorial Day Quotes to Say Thank You to Veterans
- Thank You for Your Service! Happy Memorial Day Quotes to Share as Messages
- Happy Memorial Day Images
What Day is Memorial Day?
The date changes every year, but Memorial Day is always held on the last Monday in May. So it’s:
2023: May 29
2024: May 27
2025: May 26
2026: May 35
and so on.
Famous Memorial Day Quotes to Say Thank You to Veterans
What did these American historical figures have to say about Memorial Day?
- As America celebrates Memorial Day, we pay tribute to those who have given their lives in our nation’s wars. – John M. McHugh
- Memorial Day this year is especially important as we are reminded almost daily of the great sacrifices that the men and women of the Armed Services make to defend our way of life. – Robin Hayes
- I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country. Nathan Hale
- My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
- Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
- In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism. George Washington
- There’s intense national feeling in America that could be called patriotism. Michael Ignatieff
- There are no points of the compass on the chart of true patriotism. Robert Charles Winthrop
- True patriotism isn’t cheap. It’s about taking on a fair share of the burden of keeping America going. Robert Reich
- On Memorial Day, I don’t want to only remember the combatants. There were also those who came out of the trenches as writers and poets, who started preaching peace, men and women who have made this world a kinder place to live. Eric Burdon
- There is nothing nobler than risking your life for your country. Nick Lampson
- The willingness of America’s veterans to sacrifice for our country has earned them our lasting gratitude. Jeff Miller
- I have long believed that sacrifice is the pinnacle of patriotism. Bob Riley
- The average American is nothing if not patriotic. Herbert Croly
- What I can do for my country, I am willing to do. Christopher Gadsden
- Patriotism consists not in waving the flag, but in striving that our country shall be righteous as well as strong. James Bryce
- A man’s country is not a certain area of land, of mountains, rivers, and woods, but it is a principle and patriotism is loyalty to that principle. George William Curtis
- Memorial Day isn’t just about honoring veterans, its honoring those who lost their lives. Veterans had the fortune of coming home. For us, that’s a reminder of when we come home we still have a responsibility to serve. It’s a continuation of service that honors our country and those who fell defending it. Pete Hegseth
- I love America more than any other country in this world, and, exactly for this reason, I insist on the right to criticize her perpetually. James A. Baldwin
- Our nation owes a debt to its fallen heroes that we can never fully repay, but we can honor their sacrifice. Barack Obama
- I like to see a man proud of the place in which he lives. I like to see a man live so that his place will be proud of him. Abraham Lincoln
- The patriot’s blood is the seed of freedom’s tree. Thomas Campbell
- Of what value is your life, unless you are willing to sacrifice it for those you love? Wayne Gerard Trotman
- Decoration Day is the most beautiful of our national holidays … The grim cannon have turned into palm branches, and the shell and shrapnel into peach blossoms. Thomas Bailey Aldrich
Thank You for Your Service! Happy Memorial Day Quotes to Share as Messages
Wish “Happy Memorial Day” to your fellow US citizens.
- There’s absolutely nothing in this world more selfless and patriotic than losing your life for the sake of your country. May God bless the souls of all our fallen soldiers. Happy Memorial Day!
- If this world were mine, I’d not hesitate for a second giving it to a patriot. To me, there is no national treasure as valuable as the blood of a patriot. A very blessed Decoration Day to America and all her beautiful citizens!
- Laying your life down for someone is one of the bravest things you can do in this life. May God never stop blessing our fallen heroes. Thank you for your service.
- On this special day, it’s my wish that God will bestow blessings without end on every single brave woman or man who serves or has served in our fine military. Happy Memorial Day!
- The blood and sweat of our patriots sowed the seeds of the blessings of freedom and prosperity that we harvest so joyfully today. May these wonderful heroes forever be blessed, for they deserve nothing but God’s choicest blessings.
- Never in my life will I ever forget the extraordinary sacrifices of our gallant men and women in ensuring that the sun never stops shining on this great land of ours. Today, I ask that wherever these heroic individuals are, they are enveloped in blessings that never end.
- May God lavish all His attention and love on this great land today. Happy Memorial Day to every single American who has this country at heart!
- In addition to blessing the United States of America on this Memorial Day, may God also bless you and your family. Happy Memorial Day!
- I don’t personally know the fallen heroes of this country, but I thank them from the bottom of my heart for their sacrifices. I also pray for their happiness wherever they may be. May God abundantly bless America.
- Sending our heroes a universe of blessings this Memorial Day! Thank you for your service.
- May God smile upon the United States of America and bless all our brave servicemen and women for their extraordinary services to our dear nation. Thank you for your service, from my heart.
- On this special national holiday that we remember and honor our gallant heroes who sacrificed their lives for the joy and prosperity we enjoy today, may you always have countless of reasons to be proud and happy God made you an American.
- May your Memorial Day be as beautiful as this lovely nation we live in. God bless us all!
- Today, without a shadow of doubt, America stands strong thanks to the sacrifices of our heroes. I not only honor them on this special day, I also bless their souls. Thank you for your service.
- Sending blessings and warm wishes to you as you commemorate Memorial Day. May you always be proud of this great country called the United States of America.
- Today, may you be inspired by the great courage and selflessness of our phenomenal heroes who lost their precious lives defending and protecting America. I hope you have yourself a peaceful and happy Decoration Day.
- May you forever be proud of this phenomenal country that you live in. Thank you for your service.
- As we honor all who served and courageously gave their lives for this great country, I wish you a blessed and happy Memorial Day. God bless America…today and forever!
- There’s nothing more heroic than true patriotism. Wishing all patriotic citizens of this wonderful nation a very blessed Memorial Day!
Happy Memorial Day Images
You may also like: