Rumi Quotes to Help You Enjoy Life
It’s not a coincidence that the poetry and quotes of the great mystic, poet and philosopher from the 13th century Persia is still widely read and studied by scholars and common people alike. The simplicity of his poems combined with his accuracy on expressing the true nature of the human soul make him accessible to everyone, making him one of the great masters of global culture. That’s why we have posted so many articles devoted to him, like The 20 Best Rumi Quotes among others.
He proposes a way of life based on truth and not on the conventions of everyday life which are regarded to be a kind of prison that most people spend their lives in. Love, is a reoccurring topic in his poems, presented as a path to wisdom and a destination at the same time.
His concept that everything is a part of a greater whole is a rather modern idea, explored even by scientists nowadays. This concept of Sufi teachings has become a tool for modern societies to understand the link which connects humans and nature to the great power that moves the universe.
We really hope you will be inspired by this collection of quotes. Please leave a comment, we really appreciate feedback.
And don’t hesitate to share any image you like on the timeline of your favorite social medium. Portrait-oriented images are better for Google+, Tumblr and Pinterest. The square images fit better on Instagram and the landscape-oriented are perfect for Facebook. Have a great day!
Short Quotes by Rumi Jalaluddin
- Respond to every call that excites your spirit. Jalaluddin Rumi
- You have to keep breaking your heart until it opens. Jalaluddin Rumi
- When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Jalaluddin Rumi
- Travel brings power and love back into your life. Jalaluddin Rumi
- Remember. The way you make love is the way God will be with you. Jalaluddin Rumi
- In Silence there is eloquence. Stop weaving and see how the pattern improves. Jalaluddin Rumi
- Only from the heart can you touch the sky. Jalaluddin Rumi
- We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust. Jalaluddin Rumi
- Set your life on fire. Seek those who fan your flames. Jalaluddin Rumi
- I want to sing like the birds sing, not worrying about who hears or what they think. Jalaluddin Rumi
- Raise your words, not voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder. Jalaluddin Rumi
- Silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation. Jalaluddin Rumi
- Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment. Jalaluddin Rumi
- You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life? Jalaluddin Rumi
- If you are irritated by every rub, how will your mirror be polished? Jalaluddin Rumi
- What you seek is seeking you. Jalaluddin Rumi
- What matters is how quickly you do what your soul directs. Jalaluddin Rumi
- Stop acting so small. You are the universe in ecstatic motion. Jalaluddin Rumi
- I know you’re tired but come, this is the way. Jalaluddin Rumi
- Two there are who are never satisfied — the lover of the world and the lover of knowledge. Jalaluddin Rumi
- Beauty surrounds us. Jalaluddin Rumi
- The moon stays bright when it doesn’t avoid the night. Jalaluddin Rumi
- The breeze at dawn has secrets to tell you. Don’t go back to sleep. Jalaluddin Rumi
- When you feel a peaceful joy, that’s when you are near truth. Jalaluddin Rumi
- Let the beauty of what you love be what you do. Jalaluddin Rumi
- You are not a drop in the ocean. You are the entire ocean in a drop. Jalaluddin Rumi
- Not only the thirsty seek the water, the water as well seeks the thirsty. Jalaluddin Rumi
- The rose’s rarest essence lives in the thorns. Jalaluddin Rumi
- Do not feel lonely, the entire universe is inside you. Jalaluddin Rumi
- I once had a thousand desires. But in my one desire to know you all else melted away. Jalaluddin Rumi
- Gamble everything for love, if you’re a true human being. Jalaluddin Rumi
- Shine like the whole universe is yours. Jalaluddin Rumi
- Maybe you are searching among the branches, for what only appears in the roots. Jalaluddin Rumi
- Your heart is the size of an ocean. Go find yourself in its hidden depths. Jalaluddin Rumi
- Give your weakness to one who helps. Jalaluddin Rumi
- Let silence take you to the core of life. Jalaluddin Rumi
- At the end of my life, with just one breath left, if you come, I’ll sit up and sing. Jalaluddin Rumi
- Whoever’s calm and sensible is insane! Jalaluddin Rumi
- Try something different. Surrender. Jalaluddin Rumi
Love Quotes by Jalaluddin Rumi
- I am yours. Don’t give myself back to me. Jalaluddin Rumi
- Reason is powerless in the expression of Love. Jalaluddin Rumi
- You think because you understand ‘one’ you must also understand ‘two’, because one and one make two. But you must also understand ‘and’. Jalaluddin Rumi
- Wherever you are, and whatever you do, be in love. Jalaluddin Rumi
- There are lovers content with longing. I’m not one of them. Jalaluddin Rumi
- Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it. Jalaluddin Rumi
- Is it really so that the one I love is everywhere? Jalaluddin Rumi
- Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing
and rightdoing there is a field.
I’ll meet you there.
When the soul lies down in that grass
the world is too full to talk about.
- Love comes with a knife, not some shy question, and not with fears for its reputation! Jalaluddin Rumi
- I was dead, then alive.
Weeping, then laughing.
The power of love came into me,
and I became fierce like a lion,
then tender like the evening star.
- A thousand half-loves must be forsaken to take one whole heart home. Jalaluddin Rumi
- This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First to let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet. Jalaluddin Rumi
- That which God said to the rose, and caused it to laugh in full-blown beauty, He said to my heart, and made it a hundred times more beautiful. Jalaluddin Rumi
- I closed my mouth and spoke to you in a hundred silent ways. Jalaluddin Rumi
- Words are a pretext. It is the inner bond that draws one person to another, not words. Jalaluddin Rumi
- In your light I learn how to love. In your beauty, how to make poems. You dance inside my chest where no-one sees you, but sometimes I do, and that sight becomes this art. Jalaluddin Rumi
- The minute I heard my first love story,
I started looking for you, not knowing
how blind that was.
Lovers don’t finally meet somewhere.
They’re in each other all along.
- When I am with you, we stay up all night.
When you’re not here, I can’t go to sleep.
Praise God for those two insomnias!
And the difference between them.
- A mountain keeps an echo deep inside. That’s how I hold your voice. Jalaluddin Rumi
- At night, I open the window
and ask the moon to come
and press its face against mine.
Breathe into me.
Close the language-door
and open the love-window.
The moon won’t use the door,
only the window.
- Here is a relationship booster
that is guaranteed to
Every time your spouse or lover says something stupid
make your eyes light up as if you
just heard something
- Let the lover be disgraceful, crazy, absentminded. Someone sober will worry about things going badly. Let the lover be. Jalaluddin Rumi
- They say there is a doorway from heart to heart, but what is the use of a door when there are no walls? Jalaluddin Rumi
- I am your moon and your moonlight too
I am your flower garden and your water too
I have come all this way, eager for you
Without shoes or shawl
I want you to laugh
To kill all your worries
To love you
To nourish you.
- Lovers find secret places
inside this violent world
where they make transactions
- You think you are alive
because you breathe air?
Shame on you,
that you are alive in such a limited way.
Don’t be without Love,
so you won’t feel dead.
Die in Love
and stay alive forever.
- This is how I would die
into the love I have for you:
As pieces of cloud
dissolve in sunlight.
- In the house of lovers, the music never stops, the walls are made of songs & the floor dances. Jalaluddin Rumi
Quotes on Healing by Jalaluddin Rumi
- The wound is the place where the Light enters you. Jalaluddin Rumi
- Don’t grieve. Anything you lose comes round in another form. Jalaluddin Rumi
- If you desire healing,
let yourself fall ill
let yourself fall ill.
- Love is the cure,
for your pain will keep giving birth to more pain
until your eyes constantly exhale love as effortlessly as your body yields its scent.
- Dance, when you’re broken open. Dance, if you’ve torn the bandage off. Dance in the middle of the fighting. Dance in your blood. Dance when you’re perfectly free. Jalaluddin Rumi
- Ignore those that make you fearful and sad, that degrade you back towards disease and death. Jalaluddin Rumi
- Where there is ruin, there is hope for a treasure. Jalaluddin Rumi
- Music Revolution | Famous and Other Quotes About Music
- The cure for pain is in the pain. Jalaluddin Rumi
- This being human is a guest house. Every morning is a new arrival. A joy, a depression, a meanness, some momentary awareness comes as an unexpected visitor…Welcome and entertain them all. Treat each guest honorably. The dark thought, the shame, the malice, meet them at the door laughing, and invite them in. Be grateful for whoever comes, because each has been sent as a guide from beyond. Jalaluddin Rumi
- There is a candle in your heart, ready to be kindled.
There is a void in your soul, ready to be filled.
You feel it, don’t you?
- Be empty of worrying.
Think of who created thought!
Why do you stay in prison
When the door is so wide open?
- Goodbyes are only for those who love with their eyes. Because for those who love with heart and soul there is no such thing as separation. Jalaluddin Rumi
- Suffering is a gift. In it is hidden mercy. Jalaluddin Rumi
- Sorrow prepares you for joy. It violently sweeps everything out of your house, so that new joy can find space to enter. It shakes the yellow leaves from the bough of your heart, so that fresh, green leaves can grow in their place. It pulls up the rotten roots, so that new roots hidden beneath have room to grow. Whatever sorrow shakes from your heart, far better things will take their place. Jalaluddin Rumi
- Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn’t matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again , come , come. Jalaluddin Rumi
- People want you to be happy.
Don’t keep serving them your pain!
If you could untie your wings
and free your soul of jealousy,
you and everyone around you
would fly up like doves.
- When you go through a hard period,
When everything seems to oppose you,
… When you feel you cannot even bear one more minute,
NEVER GIVE UP!
Because it is the time and place that the course will divert!
- What hurts you, blesses you. Darkness is your candle. Jalaluddin Rumi
- Amazing Good Morning Images and Quotes to Inspire a Perfect Day
- I didn’t come here of my own accord, and I can’t leave that way.
Whoever brought me here will have to take me home.
- I will soothe you and heal you,
I will bring you roses.
I too have been covered with thorns.
- I will be waiting here….
For your silence to break,
For your soul to shake,
For your love to wake!
Inspirational Quotes by Jalaluddin Rumi
- Take someone who doesn’t keep score,
who’s not looking to be richer, or afraid of losing,
who has not the slightest interest even
in his own personality: he’s free.
- And you? When will you begin that long journey into yourself? Jalaluddin Rumi
- Let yourself be drawn by the stronger pull of that which you truly love. It will not lead you astray. Jalaluddin Rumi
- Everything in the universe is within you. Ask all from yourself. Jalaluddin Rumi
- Who could be so lucky? Who comes to a lake for water and sees the reflection of moon. Jalaluddin Rumi
- Be melting snow. Wash yourself of yourself. Jalaluddin Rumi
- The Best Charlie Chaplin Quotes
- Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. Jalaluddin Rumi
- Inside you there’s an artist you don’t know about… say yes quickly, if you know, if you’ve known it from before the beginning of the universe. Jalaluddin Rumi
- Run from what’s comfortable. Forget safety. Live where you fear to live. Destroy your reputation. Be notorious. I have tried prudent planning long enough. From now on I’ll be mad. Jalaluddin Rumi
- Don’t be satisfied with stories, how things have gone with others. Unfold your own myth. Jalaluddin Rumi, The Essential Rumi
- Knock, And He’ll open the door
Vanish, And He’ll make you shine like the sun
Fall, And He’ll raise you to the heavens
Become nothing, And He’ll turn you into everything.
- My soul is from elsewhere, I’m sure of that, and I intend to end up there. Jalaluddin Rumi
- Let the beauty we love be what we do. There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground. Jalaluddin Rumi
- Dr. Seuss, the most inspiring quotes
- Be like the sun for grace and mercy. Be like the night to cover others’ faults. Be like running water for generosity. Be like death for rage and anger. Be like the Earth for modesty. Appear as you are. Be as you appear. Jalaluddin Rumi
- I have lived on the lip
of insanity, wanting to know reasons,
knocking on a door. It opens.
I’ve been knocking from the inside.
- Start a huge, foolish project, like Noah…it makes absolutely no difference what people think of you. Jalaluddin Rumi
- But listen to me. For one moment
quit being sad. Hear blessings
dropping their blossoms
- The breezes at dawn have secrets to tell you
Don’t go back to sleep!
You must ask for what you really want.
Don’t go back to sleep!
People are going back and forth
across the doorsill where the two worlds touch,
The door is round and open
Don’t go back to sleep!
- Christian, Jew, Muslim, shaman, Zoroastrian, stone, ground, mountain, river, each has a secret way of being with the mystery, unique and not to be judged
- On a day
when the wind is perfect,
the sail just needs to open and the world is full of beauty.
Today is such a
Have you seen our Quotes about Education?
Life Quotes by Jalaluddin Rumi
- When someone is counting out
gold for you, don’t look at your hands,
or the gold. Look at the giver.
- I, you, he, she, we
In the garden of mystic lovers,
these are not true distinctions.
- Be a lamp, or a lifeboat, or a ladder. Help someone’s soul heal. Walk out of your house like a shepherd. Jalaluddin Rumi
- Albert Einstein’s Most Inspiring Quotes
- Moonlight floods the whole sky from horizon to horizon;
How much it can fill your room depends on its windows.
- Within tears, find hidden laughter
Seek treasures amid ruins, sincere one.
- You are a volume in the divine book
A mirror to the power that created the universe
Whatever you want, ask it of yourself
Whatever you’re looking for can only be found
Inside of you.
- All people on the planet are children, except for a very few. No one is grown up except those free of desire. Jalaluddin Rumi
- Give up to grace. The ocean takes care of each wave ’til it gets to shore. You need more help than you know. Jalaluddin Rumi
- When someone beats a rug,
the blows are not against the rug,
but against the dust in it.
- The truth was a mirror in the hands of God. It fell, and broke into pieces. Everybody took a piece of it, and they looked at it and thought they had the truth. Jalaluddin Rumi
- If in thirst you drink water from a cup, you see God in it. Those who are not in love with God will see only their own faces in it. Jalaluddin Rumi
- This place is a dream. Only a sleeper considers it real. Then death comes like dawn, and you wake up laughing at what you thought was your grief. Jalaluddin Rumi
- You are a lover of your own experience … not of me … you turn to me to feel ur own emotion. Jalaluddin Rumi
- List of Famous Confucius Quotes
- The ground’s generosity takes in our compost and grows beauty! Try to be more like the ground. Jalaluddin Rumi
- Learn the alchemy true human beings know. The moment you accept what troubles you’ve been given the door with open. Jalaluddin Rumi
- If in the darkness of ignorance, you don’t recognize a person’s true nature, look to see whom he has chosen for his leader. Jalaluddin Rumi
Rumi Quotes to Ease Anxiety
- Oh soul,
you worry too much.
You have seen your own strength.
You have seen your own beauty.
You have seen your golden wings.
Of anything less,
why do you worry?
You are in truth
the soul, of the soul, of the soul.
- There is a secret medicine given only to those who hurt so hard they can’t hope.
The hopers would feel slighted if they knew.
- 16 Quotes About Life by Lao Tzu
- You wander from room to room
Hunting for the diamond necklace
That is already around your neck!
- Like a sculptor, if necessary,
carve a friend out of stone.
Realize that your inner sight is blind
and try to see a treasure in everyone.
- Do you know what you are?
You are a manuscript oƒ a divine letter.
You are a mirror reflecting a noble face.
This universe is not outside of you.
Look inside yourself;
everything that you want,
you are already that.
Jalaluddin Rumi*God turns you from one feeling to another and teaches by means of opposites so that you will have two wings to fly, not one Jalaluddin Rumi
- Put your thoughts to sleep,
do not let them cast a shadow
over the moon of your heart.
Let go of thinking.
- My heart is so small
it’s almost invisible.
How can You place
such big sorrows in it?
“Look,” He answered,
“your eyes are even smaller,
yet they behold the world.
Long Quotes by Jalaluddin Rumi
- I want to see you.
Know your voice.
Recognize you when you
first come ’round the corner.
Sense your scent when I come
into a room you’ve just left.
Know the lift of your heel,
the glide of your foot.
Become familiar with the way
you purse your lips
then let them part,
just the slightest bit,
when I lean in to your space
and kiss you.
I want to know the joy
of how you whisper
- Study me as much as you like, you will not know me, for I differ in a hundred ways from what you see me to be. Put yourself behind my eyes and see me as I see myself, for I have chosen to dwell in a place you cannot see. Jalaluddin Rumi
- Perfect Breakfasts for the Mind | Inspirational Good Morning Quotes
- You try to be faithful
And sometimes you’re cruel.
You are mine. Then, you leave.
Without you, I can’t cope.
And when you take the lead,
I become your footstep.
Your absence leaves a void.
Without you, I can’t cope.
You have disturbed my sleep,
You have wrecked my image.
You have set me apart.
Without you, I can’t cope.
- An eye is meant to see things.
The soul is here for its own joy.
A head has one use: For loving a true love.
Feet: To chase after.
Love is for vanishing into the sky. The mind,
for learning what men have done and tried to do.
Mysteries are not to be solved: The eye goes blind
when it only wants to see why.
A lover is always accused of something.
But when he finds his love, whatever was lost
in the looking comes back completely changed.
Jalaluddin Rumi, Night and Sleep
- Your hand opens and closes, opens and closes. If it were always a fist or always stretched open, you would be paralysed. Your deepest presence is in every small contracting and expanding, the two as beautifully balanced and coordinated as birds’ wings. Jalaluddin Rumi, The Essential Rumi
- You have no idea how hard I’ve looked for a gift to bring You. Nothing seemed right. What’s the point of bringing gold to the gold mine, or water to the ocean. Everything I came up with was like taking spices to the Orient. It’s no good giving my heart and my soul because you already have these. So I’ve brought you a mirror. Look at yourself and remember me. Jalaluddin Rumi
- What can I do, Muslims? I do not know myself.
I am neither Christian nor Jew, neither Magian nor Muslim,
I am not from east or west, not from land or sea,
not from the shafts of nature nor from the spheres of the firmament,
not of the earth, not of water, not of air, not of fire.
I am not from the highest heaven, not from this world,
not from existence, not from being.
I am not from India, not from China, not from Bulgar, not from Saqsin,
not from the realm of the two Iraqs, not from the land of Khurasan.
I am not from the world, not from beyond,
not from heaven and not from hell.
I am not from Adam, not from Eve, not from paradise and not from Ridwan.
My place is placeless, my trace is traceless,
no body, no soul, I am from the soul of souls.
I have chased out duality, lived the two worlds as one.
One I seek, one I know, one I see, one I call.
He is the first, he is the last, he is the outer, he is the inner.
Beyond He and He is I know no other.
I am drunk from the cup of love, the two worlds have escaped me.
I have no concern but carouse and rapture.
If one day in my life I spend a moment without you
from that hour and that time I would repent my life.
If one day I am given a moment in solitude with you
I will trample the two worlds underfoot and dance forever.
O Sun of Tabriz, I am so tipsy here in this world,
I have no tale to tell but tipsiness and rapture.
Jalaluddin Rumi Quotes on Images: