To Gladden A Man’s Heart | 140 Wine Quotes
Throughout history, people have been consuming this delicious fermented grape juice we call wine. Traced back in time to Asia, Sicily, and then Greece, Thrace, and Rome, wine has always been an alcoholic drink that brings pleasure, so much so that even a psalm in the Bible says “it gladdens a man’s heart”.
Whether it’s fine literature or funny lines, these quotes about wine explore the importance of the pleasure it gives and its transcendental effect on man. They will definitely come in handy when you find yourself holding a glass of fine wine. Cheers!
Short Wine Quotes
- Wine is the most healthful and most hygienic of beverages.
- Wine… the intellectual part of the meal. Alexandre Dumas
- Beer is made by men, wine by God.
- Wine is like the incarnation–it is both divine and human.
- Wine is the nurse of old age.
- With bread and wine you can walk your road.
- Life is too short to drink bad wine. Unknown
- Great wine works wonders and is itself one.
- Wine is sunlight, held together by water. Galileo Galilei
- Always carry a corkscrew and the wine shall provide itself.
- Give me wine to wash me clean of the weather-stains of cares.
- Where there is no wine there is no love. Euripides
- One drop of wine is enough to redden a whole glass of water.
- Either give me more wine or leave me alone.
- Wine makes all things possible.
- A meal without wine is like a day without sunshine. Anthelme Brillat-Savarin
- Wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy.
- Lord give me coffee to change the things I can and wine to accept the things I can’t. Unknown
- A bottle of wine begs to be shared; I have never met a miserly wine lover.
- If food is the body of good living, wine is its soul. Clifton Fadiman
- Penicillin cures, but wine makes people happy. Alexander Fleming
- Wine that gladdens human hearts. Psalm 104:15
- Never drink boring Wine.
- It’s a smile, it’s a kiss, it’s a sip of wine … it’s summertime!
- The first kiss and the first glass of wine are the best.
- Wine is the answer. I just don’t remember the question. Unknown
- Wine rejoices the heart of man, and joy is the mother of all virtues. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- Wine can be a better teacher than ink, and banter is often better than books.
- In wine, there’s truth.
- Wine is life. Petronius
- Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence. Robert Fripp
- Wine is the most civilized thing in the world. Ernest Hemingway
- A glass of wine in one’s hand is rather like a jewel, isn’t it, a large, liquid one?
- In vino veritas (In wine there is truth). Alcaeus, Greek poet (6th century BC)
- Wine is wont to show the mind of man. Theognis of Megara
- Good wine] should start and end with a smile. William Sokolin
- Good wine praises itself. Dutch Proverb
- Up to the age of forty eating is beneficial. After forty, drinking. The Talmud
- The best way to learn about wine is in the drinking. Alexis Lichine
- Making good wine is a skill; making fine wine is an art. Robert Mondavi
- Good wine ruins the purse; bad wine ruins the stomach. Spanish saying
Best Wine Quotes
- Wine makes every meal an occasion, every table more elegant, every day more civilized.
- A bottle of wine contains more philosophy than all the books in the world. Louis Pasteur
- Drink wine, and you will sleep well. Sleep, and you will not sin. Avoid sin, and you will be saved. Ergo, drink wine and be saved. German saying
- Laughter is wine for the soul – laughter soft, or loud and deep, tinged through with seriousness – the hilarious declaration made by man that life is worth living.
- One should always be drunk. That’s all that matters…But with what? With wine, with poetry, or with virtue, as you chose. But get drunk.
- Age appears best in four things: old wood to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust and old authors to read.
- There are thousands of wines that can take over our minds. Don’t think all ecstasies are the same!
- Food without wine is a corpse; wine without food is a ghost. United and well matched, they are as body and soul: living partners.
- Wine is a living liquid containing no preservatives. Its life cycle comprises youth, maturity, old age, and death. When not treated with reasonable respect it will sicken and die. Julia Child
- Boys should abstain from all use of wine until their eighteenth year, for it is wrong to add fire to fire. Plato
- Nothing more excellent or valuable than wine was ever granted by the gods to man. Plato
- The peoples of the Mediterranean began to emerge from barbarism when they learnt to cultivate the olive and the vine. Thucydides
- Let those who drink not, but austerely dine, dry up in law; the Muses smell of wine. Horace
- We are all mortal until the first kiss and the second glass of wine. Eduardo Galeano
- And wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. Alexander Pope
- The wine-cup is the little silver well,
Where truth, if truth there be, doth dwell.
- A man, fallen on hard times, sold his art collection but kept his wine cellar. When asked why he did not sell his wine, he said, “A man can live without art, but not without culture.” Unknown
- With wine beside a gently flowing brook – this is the best;
Withdrawn from sorrow in some quiet nook – this is the best
- Wine enters through the mouth,
Love, the eyes.
I raise the glass to my mouth,
I look at you,
- Wine is one of the most civilized things in the world and one of the most natural things of the world that has been brought to the greatest perfection, and it offers a greater range for enjoyment and appreciation than, possibly, any other purely sensory thing.
- It is the wine that leads me on,
the wild wine
that sets the wisest man to sing
at the top of his lungs,
laugh like a fool – it drives the
man to dancing… it even
tempts him to blurt out stories
better never told.
- his lips drink water
but his heart drinks wine
- Enjoy a cup of wine while you’re alive!
Do not care if your fame will not survive!
- You are my wine, my joy,
My garden, my springtime,
My slumber, my repose,
Without you, I can’t cope.
- The wine- it made her limbs loose and liquid, made her feel that a hummingbird had taken the place of her heart.
- A vine bears three grapes, the first of pleasure, the second of drunkenness, and the third of repentance.
- Give strong drink to the one who is perishing, and wine to those in bitter distress; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more. The Bible,
- Plato forbids children wine till eighteen years of age, and to get drunk till forty; but, after forty, gives them leave to please themselves, and to mix a little liberally in their feasts the influence of Dionysos, that good deity who restores to younger men their gaiety and to old men their youth…fit to inspire old men with mettle to divert themselves in dancing and music; things of great use, and that they dare not attempt when sober.
- Wine is like many of the fine experiences in life which take time and experience to extract their full pleasure and meaning.
- Wine is a story that gives birth to stories, and man, a story-telling animal.
- Wine is at the head of all medicines; where wine is lacking, drugs are necessary. Babylonian Talmud: Baba Bathra
- Hitch hiked a thousand
miles and brought
Funny Wine Quotes
- I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.
- A man dies too young if he leaves any wine in his cellar. Andre Simon
- In victory, you deserve Champagne. In defeat you need it. Napoleon Bonaparte
- Most people whom you may view as wine experts are usually just good at one thing: winemakers are good at making wine, sommeliers at talking about it, and wine journalists at drinking it for free.
- Anyone who tries to make you believe that he knows all about wines is obviously a fake. Leon Adams
- Gentlemen, in the little moment that remains to us between the crisis and the catastrophe, we may as well drink a glass of Champagne. Paul Claudel
- I feel sorry for people who don’t drink. When they wake up in the morning, that’s as good as they’re going to feel all day. Frank Sinatra
- High and fine literature is wine, and mine is only water; but everybody likes water.
- Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it. Unknown
- The best use of bad wine is to drive away poor relations. French proverb
- Champagne is the wine of civilisation… the oil of government. Winston Churchill
- I only drink Champagne when I’m happy, and when I’m sad. Sometimes I drink it when I’m alone. When I have company, I consider it obligatory. I trifle with it if I am not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise I never touch it – unless I’m thirsty. Lily Bollinger
- The worst gift I was given is when I got out of rehab that Christmas; a bottle of wine. It was delicious.
- If your arteries are good, eat more ice cream. If they are bad, drink more red wine. Proceed thusly.
- This is one of the disadvantages of wine, it makes a man mistake words for thoughts.
- Age is just a number. It’s totally irrelevant unless, of course, you happen to be a bottle of wine. Joan Collins
- A man cannot make him laugh – but that’s no marvel; he drinks no wine. William Shakespeare, Henry IV Part 2
- I pray you, do not fall in love with me, for I am falser than vows made in wine.
- Philosophy is like wine. There are good years and bad years but, in general, the older the better.
- She gets to keep the chalet and the Rolls, I want the Montrachet. Unknown, Forbes Magazine, May 6, 1996.
- I prefer my water in wine form.
- … the very least one requires for civilisation to survive is an adequate supply of sound wines.
Wine And Friends Quotes
- I love everything that is old; old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines.
- I deeply believe that the most simple of pleasures—good food, good wine, good friends—are the only ones that can genuinely sustain us, both as individuals and as a society.
- For at the end of the day, what matters is never the wine, it’s always the moment; it’s always the people.
- Wine is just a conversation waiting to happen. Jessica Altieri
- There must be always wine and fellowship or we are truly lost. Ann Fairbairn
- Better is old wine than new, and old friends like-wise. Charles Kingsley
- I like on the table,
when we’re speaking,
the light of a bottle
of intelligent wine.
Classy Wine Quotes
- The juice of the grape is the liquid quintessence of concentrated sunbeams.
- Come quickly! I am drinking the stars. Dom Pierre Pérignon Benedictine monk (1638–1715) at his first sip of champagne.
- Nothing makes the future look so rosy as to contemplate it through a glass of Chambertin. Napoleon Bonaparte
- To take wine into our mouths is to savor a droplet of the river of human history. Clifton Fadiman
- Too much of anything is bad, but too much Champagne is just right. Mark Twain
- Champagne is the one thing that gives me zest when I am tired. Brigitte Bardot
- The simplest definition of a great bottle of wine is when you feel sad because the bottle is empty.
Famous Wine Quotes
- Let us have wine and women, mirth and laughter, sermons and soda water the day after.
- If we sip the wine, we find dreams coming upon us out of the imminent night.
- Drinking wine is just a part of life, like eating food. Francis Ford Coppola
- Men are like wine-some turn to vinegar, but the best improve with age.
- A gourmet meal without a glass of wine just seems tragic to me somehow. Kathy Mattea
- White wine is like electricity. Red wine looks and tastes like a liquified beefsteak.
- Whether wine is a nourishment, medicine or poison is a matter of dosage. Paracelsus
- Without the frown of clouds and lightning, the vines would be burned by the smiling sun. Rumi
- Of all things known to mortals wine is the most powerful and effectual for exciting and inflaming the passions of mankind, being common fuel to them all. Francis Bacon
- Οne author tells us that the Persians used to consult about their most important affairs after being well warmed with wine.
- “Whenever I drink champagne I either laugh or cry…I get so emotional! I love champagne. Tina Turner
- A man will be eloquent if you give him good wine. Ralph Waldo Emerson
- It [discovering Finnish] was like discovering a wine-cellar filled with bottles of amazing wine of a kind and flavour never tasted before. It quite intoxicated me.
- The discovery of a wine is of greater moment than the discovery of a constellation. The universe is too full of stars. Benjamin Franklin
- My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne. John Maynard Keynes
- I serve your Beaune to my friends, but your Volnay I keep for myself. Voltaire
- Accept what life offers you and try to drink from every cup. All wines should be tasted; some should only be sipped, but with others, drink the whole bottle. Paulo Coelho
- Occasionally I have a glass of red wine. I don’t consider it an alcoholic drink. I consider it a holy drink, something that can also be used as a curative.
- Most of the confidence which I appear to feel, especially when influenced by noon wine, is only a pretense. Tennessee Williams
- It does good also to take walks out of doors, that our spirits may be raised and refreshed by the open air and fresh breeze: sometimes we gain strength by driving in a carriage, by travel, by change of air, or by social meals and a more generous allowance of wine.
- At times we ought to drink even to intoxication, not so as to drown, but merely to dip ourselves in wine, for wine washes away troubles and dislodges them from the depths of the mind and acts as a remedy to sorrow as it does to some diseases. The inventor of wine is called Liber, not from the license which he gives to our tongues but because he liberates the mind from the bondage of cares and emancipates it, animates it and renders it more daring in all that it attempts.
Wine Quotes Taken From Fine Literature
- They travelled for thirteen hours down-hill, whilst the streams broadened and the mountains shrank, and the vegetation changed, and the people ceased being ugly and drinking beer, and began instead to drink wine and to be beautiful.
- As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.
- “Most bad,” the host concluded. “If you ask me, something sinister lurks in men who avoid wine, games, the company of lovely women, and dinnertime conversation. Such people are either gravely ill or secretly detest everyone around them.
- No wine can be regarded as unimportant, my friend, since the marriage at Cana.
- Wine, for serious drunks, enjoys only a limited success. There is, concerning inebriation, black magic and white magic; wine is only white magic.
- One of the cafés had that brilliant idea of putting up a slogan: ‘the best protection against infection is a good bottle of wine’, which confirmed an already prevalent opinion that alcohol is a safeguard against infectious disease. Every night, towards 2 a.m., quite a number of drunk men, ejected from the cafés , staggered down the streets, vociferating optimism.
- I was fairly poor
but most of my money went
for wine and
I loved to mix the two
- AMUSING MYSELF
Facing my wine, I did not see the dusk,
Falling blossoms have filled the folds of my clothes.
Drunk, I rise and approach the moon in the stream,
Birds are far off, people too are few.”
- My path is full of petals–I have swept it for no others.
My thatch gate has been closed–but opens now for you.
It’s a long way to the market, I can offer you little–
Yet here in my cottage there is old wine for our cups.
- Dandelion wine. The words were summer on the tongue. The wine was summer caught and stoppered…sealed away for opening on a January day with snow falling fast and the sun unseen for weeks…
- So I went instead and tasted Taki’s new white wine. Spiridion! what a wine…like the blood of a dragon and smooth as a fish…
- My love, suddenly
is the curve of the wineglass
filled to the brim,
your breast is the cluster,
your hair the light of alcohol,
your nipples, the grapes
your navel pure seal
stamped on your barrel of a belly,
and your love the cascade
of unquenchable wine,
the brightness that falls on my senses,
the earthen splendor of life.
You May Also Like:
Click here for our best birthday wishes.