28 Kurt Cobain Quotes and Song Lyrics by Nirvana
Kurt Cobain had a brief career as the frontman of Nirvana, yet still remains, several decades after his tragic death, one of the most celebrated musicians of all time.
As a tribute to this entertainment icon, we have hand-picked his most memorable and inspiring quotes. Hopefully these deep Kurt Cobain quotes will illustrate why he is so endeared to millions of people the world over.
- We have no right to express an opinion until we know all of the answers.
- Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.
- The worst crime is faking it.
- The sun is gone, but I have a light.
- “What else could I say? Everyone is gay / What else could I write? I don’t have the right / What else should I be? All apologies.” – Nirvana, “All apologies”
- The duty of youth is to challenge corruption.
- Rather be dead than cool.
- My mother encouraged me to be artistic. It was written in a contract at an early age that I would be an artist
- I’ve always had a problem with the average macho man – they’ve always been a threat to me.
- It’s okay to eat fish because they don’t have any feelings.
- I’d rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not.
- “I’m so happy ’cause today I found my friends, they’re in my head / I’m so ugly, but that’s OK ’cause so are you.” – Nirvana, “Lithium”
- I’m not well-read, but when I read, I read well.
- “With the lights out, it’s less dangerous / Here we are now, entertain us / I feel stupid and contagious / Here we are now, entertain us.” – Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit”
- If you die, you’re completely happy and your soul somewhere lives on. I’m not afraid of dying. Total peace after death, becoming someone else is the best hope I’ve got.
- If it’s illegal to rock and roll, throw my ass in jail!
- If I wouldn’t have found Courtney, I probably would have carried on with a bisexual lifestyle.
- I wanted to have the adoration of John Lennon but have the anonymity of Ringo Starr. I didn’t want to be a frontman. I just wanted to be back there and still be a rock and roll star at the same time.
- “Hey! Wait! I got a new complaint.” – Nirvana, “Heart-Shaped Box”
- I wanted to be in a punk band before I had even heard any punk music.
- I sing and play the guitar, and I’m a walking, talking bacterial infection.
- I like to make people feel happy and superior in their reaction towards my appearance.
- I like to complain and do nothing to make things better.
- I didn’t know how to deal with success. If there was a Rock Star 101, I would have liked to take it. It might have helped me.
- I definitely feel closer to the feminine side of the human being than I do the male – or the American idea of what a male is supposed to be. Just watch a beer commercial and you’ll see what I mean.
- Every time I see documentaries or infomercials about little kids with cancer, I just freak out. It affects me on the highest emotional level… Anytime I think about it, it makes me sadder than anything I can think of.
- “Teenage angst has paid off well / Now I’m bored and old.” – Nirvana, “Serve the Servants”
- A friend is nothing but a known enemy.
Nirvana – MTV Unplugged in New York [Remastered]
You may also like:
Click here for our best birthday wishes.