Keep a Fire Burning | 188 Hope Quotes
Even when we’re fighting against all odds, there is always a little fire burning inside our soul, telling us that everything is going to be alright. No wonder they say hope dies last.
This collection of famous quotes about hope by famous writers, politicians, actors, scientists and other important people stresses the importance of feeling hope in our hearts.
Best Hope Quotes
- The difference between hope and despair is a different way of telling stories from the same facts.
- You cannot swim for new horizons until you have courage to lose sight of the shore.
- You can cut all the flowers but you cannot keep Spring from coming.
- To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow. Audrey Hepburn
- However bad life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. Where there’s life, there’s hope. Stephen Hawking
- Υouth is easily deceived because it is quick to hope.
- Carve a tunnel of hope through the dark mountain of disappointment. Martin Luther King Jr
- There is hope in dreams, imagination, and in the courage of those who wish to make those dreams a reality.
- Where flowers bloom, so does hope. Lady Bird Johnson
- Where there is no hope, it is incumbent on us to invent it.
- Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.
- If winter comes, can spring be far behind?
- Hope is an embrace of the unknown. Rebecca Solnit
- In joined hands there is still some token of hope, in the clinched fist none.
- We promise according to our hopes and perform according to our fears.
- Rules for happiness: something to do, someone to love, something to hope for.
- But I know, somehow, that only when it is dark enough can you see the stars.
- I don’t think of all the misery, but of the beauty that still remains.
- Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness. Desmond Tutu
- The best bridge between despair and hope is a good night’s sleep. E. Joseph Cossman
- Shoot for the moon, even if you fail, you’ll land among the stars.
- Remember, Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.
- Keep a little fire burning; however small, however hidden.
- Let your hopes, not your hurts, shape your future. Robert H. Schuller
- Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
- A leader is a dealer in hope. Napoleon Bonaparte
- Hope itself is like a star- not to be seen in the sunshine of prosperity, and only to be discovered in the night of adversity.
- Even in the mud and scum of things, something always, always sings.
- Come friends, it’s not too late to seek a newer world.
- Don’t despair: despair suggests you are in total control and know what is coming. You don’t – surrender to events with hope.
- I think it’s a mistake to ever look for hope outside of one’s self. Arthur Miller
- Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all.
- But what is Hope? Nothing but the paint on the face of Existence; the least touch of truth rubs it off, and then we see what a hollow-cheeked harlot we have got hold of.
- Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all. Dale Carnegie
- To live without hope is to cease to live. Fyodor Dostoyevsky
- My sense of the holy is bound up with the hope that some day my remote descendants will live in a global civilization in which love is pretty much the only law.
- Be still, sad heart! and cease repining;
Behind the clouds is the sun still shining
Short Quotes about Hope
- While there’s life, there’s hope.
- Sadness is but a wall between two gardens.
- Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed.
- If it were not for hopes, the heart would break. T
- Hope is a waking dream.
- Every cloud has a silver lining. John Milson
- Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet. Aristotle
- Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
- After all, tomorrow is another day.
- May your choices reflect your hopes, not your fears.
- A baby is God’s opinion that the world should go on.
- One child, one teacher, one book, one pen can change the world.
- Hope is a good breakfast, but it is a bad supper.
- While there is tea, there is hope.
- I laugh because I must not cry, that is all, that is all.
- Behind the veil of each night, there is a smiling dawn.
- Hope is a passion for the possible.
- The deep roots never doubt spring will come. Marty Rubin
- I dwell in possibility. Emily Dickinson
- We need hope, or else we cannot endure.
- Sometimes good things fall apart, so better things can fall together.
- For every dark night there’s a brighter day. Tupac
- There is nothing like a dream to create the future.
- Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.
- Hope costs nothing.
- Hope keeps you alive.
- If at first the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it.
- To wish was to hope, and to hope was to expect.
- Farewell Hope, and with Hope farewell Fear.
- Once you choose hope, anything’s possible.
- Hope is the only bee that makes honey without flowers. Robert Green Ingersoll
- The only hope for the doomed, is no hope at all…
- When you’re at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on. Theodore Roosevelt
- A drowning man will clutch at a straw. Sir Thomas More
- What seems to us as bitter trials are often blessings in disguise. Oscar Wilde
- The darkest hours are just before dawn. English proverb
- Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. George Weinberg
- Hope rises like a phoenix from the ashes of shattered dreams. S.A. Sachs
- Wherever there’s hope there’s a trial.
- A whole stack of memories never equal one little hope. Charles M. Schulz
- Hope is medicine for a soul that’s sick and tired. Eric Swensson
- We must pass through the darkness, to reach the light.
- To travel hopefully is better than to have arrived.
- Uncertainty is the refuge of hope.
- The miserable have no other medicine, but only hope. William Shakespeare
- True hope is swift, and flies with swallow’s wings.
- To eat bread without hope is still slowly to starve to death. Pearl S. Buck
- It is only for those without hope that hope is given.
- We cease to be so angry once we cease to be so hopeful. Seneca
- The less we deserve good fortune, the more we hope for it. Seneca
Hope Inspirational Quotes
- Hope is not the conviction that something will turn out well, but the certainty that something makes sense, regardless of how it turns out.
- The human soul has still greater need of the ideal than of the real. It is by the real that we exist, it is by the ideal that we live.
- Believe it is possible to solve your problem. Tremendous things happen to the believer. So believe the answer will come. It will.
- You may say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not the only one. I hope someday you’ll join us. And the world will live as one.
- There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.
- The very existence of libraries affords the best evidence that we may yet have hope for the future of man.
- We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope.
- If we will be quiet and ready enough, we shall find compensation in every disappointment.
- Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man.
- In the dawn, armed with a burning patience, we shall enter the splendid Cities.
- The day the Lord created hope was probably the same day He created spring. Bernard Williams
- We yearned for the future. How did we learn it, that talent for insatiability?
- Hope and Memory have one daughter and her name is Art, and she has built her dwelling far from the desperate field where men hang out their garments upon forked boughs to be banners of battle. O beloved daughter of Hope and Memory, be with me for a while.
- It is only goodness which gives extras, and so I say again that we have much to hope from the flowers.
- Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
- In all things it is better to hope than to despair. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- It is difficult to say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow.
- Sanity may be madness but the maddest of all is to see life as it is and not as it should be. Miguel de Cervantes, Don Quixote
- Happiness will grow if you plant the seeds of love in the garden of hope with compassion and care.
- There is no hope unmingled with fear, and no fear unmingled with hope. Baruch Spinoza
- Find the seed at the bottom of your heart and bring forth a flower. Shigenori Kameoka
- But hope is no less realistic than despair. It is still our choice whether to live in light or lie down in darkness.
- Walk on with hope in your heart, and you’ll never walk alone. Shah Rukh Khan
- Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. Confucius
- Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for. Epicurus
- And indeed it could be said that once the faintest stirring of hope became possible, the dominion of plague was ended.
- The past is a source of knowledge, and the future is a source of hope. Love of the past implies faith in the future. Stephen Ambrose
- Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. G.K. Chesterton
- Critical thinking without hope is cynicism. Hope without critical thinking is naïveté. Maria Popova
- Hold fast to dreams,
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird,
That cannot fly.
Quotes About Hope and Strength
- You will face many defeats in your life, but never let yourself be defeated. Maya Angelou
- Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies.
- It’s the possibility that keeps me going, not the guarantee.
- The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
- Hope is the power of being cheerful in circumstances that we know to be desperate.
- You have power over your mind – not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.
- Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm. Abraham Lincoln
- A strong mind always hopes, and has always cause to hope. Thomas Carlyle
- Hope is a verb with its shirtsleeves rolled up.
- Cease to hope and you will cease to fear. Seneca
- He who has health has hope, and he who has hope has everything. Unknown
- Life is very interesting. In the end, some of your greatest pains become your greatest strengths. Drew Barrymore
- Hope is the companion of power, and mother of success; for who so hopes strongly has within him the gift of miracles.
- As long as we have hope, we have direction, the energy to move, and the map to move by. Lao Tzu
- Difficulties are meant to rouse, not discourage. The human spirit is to grow strong by conflict. William Ellery Channing
- And one has to understand that braveness is not the absence of fear but rather the strength to keep on going forward despite the fear.
- Be strong, be fearless, be beautiful. And believe that anything is possible when you have the right people there to support you. Misty Copeland
Losing Hope Quotes
- There is a saying in Tibetan, “Tragedy should be utilized as a source of strength”. No matter what sort of difficulties, how painful experience is, if we lose our hope, that’s our real disaster. Dalai Lama
- A man devoid of hope and conscious of being so has ceased to belong to the future.
- We need never be hopeless because we can never be irreperably broken.
- When you feel like hope is gone, look inside you and be strong and you’ll finally see the truth- that hero lies in you.
- If you lose hope, somehow you lose the vitality that keeps moving, you lose that courage to be, that quality that helps you go on in spite of it all. And so today I still have a dream.
- But what we call our despair is often only the painful eagerness of unfed hope.
- Without hope, there is no despair. There is only meaningless suffering. D. Morgenstern
Hope and Faith Quotes
- Faith goes up the stairs that love has built and looks out the windows which hope has opened.
- A rebirth out of spiritual adversity causes us to become new creatures. James E. Faust
- Hope is some extraordinary spiritual grace that God gives us to control our fears, not to oust them.
- There is some good in this world, and it’s worth fighting for. J.R.R. Tolkien
- Belief consists in accepting the affirmations of the soul; unbelief, in denying them.
- The great gift of Easter is hope. Basil C. Hume
- Pray, hope, and don’t worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.
- Faith is the very first thing you should pack in a hope chest.
- We should ask God to increase our hope when it is small, awaken it when it is dormant, confirm it when it is wavering, strengthen it when it is weak, and raise it up when it is overthrown.
- And remember: you must never, under any circumstances, despair. To hope and to act, these are our duties in misfortune.
- Fear is the glue that keeps you stuck. Faith is the solvent that sets you free.
- That which does not kill us makes us stronger.
- So dry your tears. Fortune has not yet turned her hatred against all your blessings. The storm has not yet broken upon you with too much violence. Your anchors are holding firm and they permit you both comfort in the present, and hope in the future.
- There was never a night or a problem that could defeat sunrise or hope. Bernard Williams
- Let the Lord your God be your hope – seek for nothing else from him, but let him himself be your hope. There are people who hope from him riches or perishable and transitory honours, in short they hope to get from God things which are not God himself.
Famous Quotes about Hope
- We have always held to the hope, the belief, the conviction that there is a better life, a better world, beyond the horizon. Franklin D. Roosevelt
- I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. Dalai Lama
- The Victorian Age, for all its humbug, was a period of rapid progress, because men were dominated by hope rather than fear. If we are again to have progress, we must again be dominated by hope.
- When you’re at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on.
- Keep your face to the sun and you will never see the shadows. Helen Keller
- All human wisdom is summed up in two words; wait and hope. Alexandre Dumas
- Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.
- He who plants a tree, plants a hope.
- Hope is important because it can make the present moment less difficult to bear. If we believe that tomorrow will be better, we can bear a hardship today. Thich Nhat Hanh
- It’s always something, to know you’ve done the most you could. But, don’t leave off hoping, or it’s of no use doing anything. Hope, hope to the last. Charles Dickens
- Children are the world’s most valuable resource and its best hope for the future. John F. Kennedy
- With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts. Eleanor Roosevelt
- This is what it means to live on. When granted hope, a person uses it as fuel, as a guidepost to life. It is impossible to live without hope.
- Believe in a love that is being stored up for you like an inheritance, and have faith that in this love there is a strength and a blessing so large that you can travel as far as you wish without having to step outside it.
- Great hopes make great men.
- Never deprive someone of hope; it may be all they have. H. Jackson Brown Jr
- In the middle of a difficulty lies opportunity. Albert Einstein
- I thought that the light-house looked lovely as hope,
That star on life’s tremulous ocean.
Love Hope Quotes
- When it was dark, you always carried the sun in your hand for me.
- It’s amazing how a little tomorrow can make up for a whole lot of yesterday.
- The only way of knowing a person is to love them without hope.
- Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope. Maya Angelou
- How far would you go to keep the hope of love alive?
- You call it hope — that fire of fire!
It is but agony of desire.
- Always it’s Spring)and everyone’s in love and flowers pick themselves.
- Hope without love is hopeless.
- Courage is like love; it must have hope for nourishment. Napoleon Bonaparte
- They say a person needs just three things to be truly happy in this world: someone to love, something to do, and something to hope for.
- Love is a springtime plant that perfumes everything with its hope, even the ruins to which it clings. Gustave Flaubert
- And when the dawn comes creeping in,
Cautiously I shall raise
Myself to watch the daylight win.
- Hope for love, pray for love, wish for love, dream for love…but don’t put your life on hold waiting for love. Mandy Hale
You May Also Like:
Click here for our best birthday wishes.