Happy Summer Solstice! | Facts, Wishes & Quotes for the Longest Day of the Year
The longest day is a celebration of light and life itself. A time where cosmos and nature on Earth are intertwined and our seasons begin to change. A wonderful time of the year for spiritual energy to infuse vibrant joy, wealth, and health into our lives.
Wishing can be challenging with a troubled mind and for those uncertain about the future. We offer this collection of wishes to direct your effervescent spirit and guide you into enlightening. Let’s begin with the roots of this sacred time.
What is the summer solstice?
How do we define the longest day of the year?
Our planet spins on its axis around the sun. This angle is the reason why our continents experience season and why we experience them differently.
Each year, unequal amounts of sunlight are given to the Northern and Southern Hemispheres. Twice a year, this tilt puts half of the Earth closer to the sun’s heat. When the Northern Hemisphere is tilted to the sun, those people are experiencing the seasons of spring and summer. When the Southern Hemisphere is tilted to the sun, the Northern Hemisphere is then experiencing autumn and winter. For the people in the Southern Hemisphere, this is the opposite.
The times where the axis is tilted the closest to the sun are referred to as the solstices. When the Northern Hemisphere is closest to the sun, it experiences its longest day and is called their Summer Solstice. When the Southern Hemisphere is closest to the sun, the Northern Hemisphere has its longest night and is called their Winter Solstice. Each hemisphere experiences the opposite solstice at the same time.
When is the summer solstice?
The time that the sun shines the longest.
Summer Solstice in the Northern Hemisphere happens yearly between June 20th to the 22nd.
This may differ for many based on their time zone. For this article, the dates given will be based on the time standard of Coordinated Universal Time (UTC), which is the same as the time zone of Greenwich Mean Time (GMT). People located further east are ahead of this and will experience it later than what is stated. For those located further west, those people will experience it sooner because they are behind UTC.
In 2020, Greenwich will experience the Summer Solstice at 09:43 pm on June 20th. Check this season calculator to get the most accurate time in your area.
Summer solstice celebrations today
How is the longest day celebrated?
Stonehenge is an ancient stone monument located in Wiltshire, England that is shrouded by mystery. Created about 2500 BC on a Salisbury Plain, these stones were placed in concentric rings and horseshoe shapes to align with the movements of the sun. During the solstice, onlookers can see the sun ascend just to the left of the Heel Stone which lies north-east of the stone structure. Archaeologists say that there may be a Heel Stone missing that would have placed the sun directly in between the two. This site has been seen as a holy place for Druids and Pagans for thousands of years. People gather to perform rituals and celebrations, to do yoga in the light of the setting sun, and more.
In Ohio, U.S.A., people gather at Serpent Mound to welcome the summer solstice. During this time, the sun perfectly aligns with the head of a huge earth mound in the shape of a snake. The origins of this historic site are still unknown. Some archaeologists say it was built around AD 1100 during the Fort Ancient period. Others say between 800 BC and AD 1 during the Adena periods. Researchers are unsure why American Indians used this shape around an old meteorite site. It is thought to have religious roots because some say the snake is a symbol of creation. This must explain the festivals and flock of people that gather on this amazing day.
Santa Barbara of California also has a yearly Summer Solstice celebration. Parades filled with motorless floats, lavish costumes, dancers, bands, and more fill State street from Alameda Park to the waterfront. At the park, they have booths for arts and crafts, food, and more set up to entertain the attendees. It still holds the record as the largest arts event in that county, having about 100,000 spectators in attendance. Definitely a fun way to kick off the summer season.
Summer solstice: Pagan name and Rituals
Solstice is derived from two Latin words: “sol” a noun that translates to sun and “sistere” a verb that translates to stand still. However, the name changes within different groups across the world. To northern Europe, it is known as Midsummer. Pagan groups, like the Wiccans, call it “Litha.” Litha is about the balance between light and dark, the elements of fire and water, and the battle between Oak King (who rules from the winter to summer solstice) and Holly King (who rules from summer to winter solstice). This battle between light and dark can also be seen within each of us. With focus, inner power and brightness can be fostered within.
There are many rituals that represent these elements and connect the people to this occasion. Many people hold bonfires on this special Midsummer. Northern Europeans believe this will banish evils spirits and demons and even guide young maidens to future husbands. Other traditions include wheels of fire that were rolled down a hill into some body of water. It is believed that this could prevent drought. Attendees were garlands of herbs and flowers as protection against evil spirits that appear on Midsummer. Some people take a quieter way of inner reflection through meditation in a quiet spot. Some are even seen to practice yoga at these gatherings. In general, the focus is on being with your loved ones and the elements of the season. This could be done by taking your children swimming or fun in the backyard sprinkler, saying goodnight to the sun with a bonfire or barbecue, and ending with nightfall celebration with campfire stories, sparklers, and music.
Happy Summer Solstice!
Wishes & quotes for the longest day of the year.
- Just as the sun reaches its highest peak in the sky during the summer solstice, so also do I expect my happiness to rise to its peak on this glorious day. Happy summer solstice!
- Truly the summer is the sweetest season. Not even all the sweetness of all the seasons combined can compare to the sweetness of summer!
- I wish to feel present in the world this year and feel and remember every moment.
- If our Creator were to sell each sunbeam of the summer to us, even the richest man in the world wouldn’t be able to afford it. Such is the pricelessness of summer!
- Dearest summer, you make me speechless with joy! Everything about you is absolutely lovely, magical and joyful.
- The sun is so just and fair; it shines evenly on both the poor and the rich. Happy summer solstice, everyone!
- My soul is radiant with excitement because the summer solstice has finally paid us a visit. Smile, my dear. The summer is here!
- Welcome back, my dearest summer! I would give you a kiss in a heartbeat if I could because you are mightily beautiful and loving.
- I have lived long on planet Earth long enough to confidently conclude that sunshine brings happiness. The more man has of it, the generally man is happy.
- This summer is a gift. Make it a great one for yourself and humanity.
- A single ray from the sun is enough to flood my heart with all the joy in the world.
- I wish for the best health and peace of my soul this summer.
- The summer is God’s way of saying He hasn’t lost His faith in mankind.
- Our dear sun is one of Mother Nature’s most beautiful gifts. Enjoy it like there’s no tomorrow!
- Whenever I see the beautiful rays of the sun, I am mesmerized by God’s immeasurable love for His children.
- Everything about the summer is heavenly magical. I’m so blessed to experience it again.
- My name is summer, and I’m the loveliest season of the year.
- I am happier in summer than in any other season. And I know I’m not the only one.
- The summer sunshine gladdens my soul and makes me feel so alive. Seriously, if heaven doesn’t have sunny days, I wouldn’t want to be there.
- Yay! It’s the longest day of the year today, and by God I shall catch an ocean of rays! Happy summer solstice!
- The sky was blue and the sun shone so radiantly. My soul could not help but rejoice.
- “Summer solstice” is not only the most beautiful day of the year but also the most beautiful phrase in the dictionary.
- Every living thing I know on this earth loves the summer. Heck, even my garden loves the summer!
- Life is definitely the sweetest during the summer. Happy summer solstice!
- Blessed is he that seeth the beauty of summer.
- The sun’s heavenly radiance covers all alike.
- I wish to prevent any strife or anger that may develop between me and my loved ones.
- This is both the most magical and beautiful day of the year. Don’t let it end without dancing in the sun.
- Wishing you the most beautiful and blessed summer solstice ever! May your happiness be longer than this beautiful day.
- By all accounts, I am blessed to be able to witness this mesmerizing day! By Jove, nothing shall stop me from enjoying every second of this spectacular day!
- How poor are they that refuse to see the paradise in summer!
- Since time immemorial the beach has been best enjoyed during the summer. And today is no different.
- Another glorious summer solstice has come our way again. Start it with a heart full of gratitude and wonderful things shall come your way.
- I might be poorer than a church mouse, but I feel like the wealthiest person in the world during the summer.
- The summer solstice gives us more light to admire the creations of God. What an outstanding day it is!
- Most of the truly beautiful things in the world happen in the presence of the sun. May the radiant sun always illuminate your skies.
- Rain or shine, today is going to be an absolutely beautiful day because it’s the summer solstice. May nothing stop you from smiling today.
- The beautiful summer solstice has begun with the radiant rays of the sun. Smile, everyone, for it is a sign of God’s never-ending love for us.
- I don’t know about you but my heart always feels unlimited happiness in summertime.
- It’s summer time! Pamper yourself to the max!
- The sun not only lights up the earth in summer but also my soul. You are the love of my life, my beloved summer.
- Happy summer solstice! May the remarkable awesomeness of the summer solstice remind us all of God’s immeasurable power.
- If the beautiful rays of the summer sun brings a man no joy, then not even paradise can succeed in giving him joy.
You may also like: