84 Gym Quotes to Get You Off The Couch
The health benefits of regular physical activity are hard to ignore. Everyone benefits from exercise, regardless of age, sex or physical ability. Despite the fact that this is common knowledge, many people have difficulty implementing what they know: they are turned off by the thought of exercise because they think it has to be intense or time-consuming. But the truth is that people can learn to enjoy being active simply by tweaking those beliefs and expectations.
Following and sticking to a nutrition and exercise plan is tough, and there will be days when you can’t find any sense of fitness motivation at all. It’s not just you! We all have days where we just don’t feel like doing anything. You didn’t get enough sleep, it’s raining out, you’re hungry, it’s cold, you had a crappy day at work, your boyfriend dumped you, your wife cheated on you, your dog ate your homework, whatever. These moments the temptation to curl up on the couch, watch Netflix, eat, play video games, and feel sorry for ourselves is strong. But don’t do it!
These are the moments when it is most important to stay on target: to keep pushing, to stay consistent, to keep training. If you let yourself off the hook every time you have a bad day, you’ll train yourself to believe it’s okay to give up any time you meet resistance. Success isn’t easy; getting in shape and living better will take hard work, an iron will, and strong determination. Once you’re committed to making a change, all you need is discipline and motivation.
The following collection of quotes aspire to help make sure you stay inspired and motivated. Feel free to come back here whenever you want to hit the snooze button instead of getting up early, when you don’t feel like going to the gym, when you want to give up halfway through your workout, or when you really just don’t feel like doing anything.
Short Gym Quotes
- Do something today that your future self will thank you for.
- Good things come to those who sweat.
- Beast Mode. Relax. Recharge. Repeat.
- Get ripped, get laid.
- The only bad workout is the one you didn’t do.
- Be stronger than your excuses.
- Pain is weakness leaving the body.
Original Photo by Edgar Chaparro
- If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.
- Go hard or go home.
- Don’t wish for it, work for it.
- Sweat is fat crying.
- When it starts to hurt, that’s when the set starts.
- It never gets easier, you just get stronger.
- When you think about quitting, think about why you started.
- Making excuses burns zero calories per hour.
- Turn the pain into power and conquer your goals.
- Pain is temporary, pride is forever.
- If you’re tired of starting over, stop giving up.
Original Photo by henri meilhac
Inspirational Gym Quotes
- To keep winning, I have to keep improving. Craig Alexander
- Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen. Michael Jordan
- There are no shortcuts—everything is reps, reps, reps. Arnold Schwarzenegger
Original Photo by Rhone
- Nothing will work unless you do. Maya Angelou
- We run for the people who think they cant. Dick Hoyt
- I hated every minute of training, but I said, don’t quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion. Muhammad Ali
- No matter how slow you go, you are still lapping everybody on the couch. Unknown
- You have to push past your perceived limits, push past that point you thought was as far as you can go. Drew Brees
- If you want something you’ve never had, you must be willing to do something you’ve never done. Thomas Jefferson
- My bike is my gym, my wheelchair and my church all in one. I’d like to ride my bike all day long but I’ve got this thing called a job that keeps getting in the way. Bill Walton
- I feel an endless need to learn, to improve, to evolve—not only to please the coach and the fans—but also to feel satisfied with myself. Cristiano Ronaldo
- There’s no secret formula. I lift heavy, work hard, and aim to be the best. Ronnie Coleman
- What we face may look insurmountable. But I learned something from all those years of training and competing. I learned something from all those sets and reps when I didn’t think I could lift another ounce of weight. What I learned is that we are always stronger than we know. Arnold Schwarzenegger
- If something stands between you and your success, move it. Never be denied. Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson
- Make your goal, your lifestyle. Make everything you do contribute to that greater achievement. Tavi Castro
- The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a person’s determination. Tommy Lasorda
- You’re going to have to let it hurt. Let it suck. The harder you work, the better you will look. Your appearance isn’t parallel to how heavy you lift, it’s parallel to how hard you work. Joe Manganiello
- The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. Ayn Rand
- Success is usually the culmination of controlling failure. Sylvester Stallone
- Today I will do what others won’t, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can’t. Jerry Rice
- You shall gain, but you shall pay with sweat, blood, and vomit. Pavel Tsatsouline
- No One Owns Your Outcome but You! Stay Dedicated to your passion in life! Ulisses Williams
- When you have a clear vision of your goal, it’s easier to take the first step toward it. L.L. Cool J.
- I know that if I set my mind to something, even if people are saying I can’t do it, I will achieve it. David Beckham
Original Photo by StockSnap
Funny Gym Quotes
- I have to exercise in the morning before my brain figures out what I’m doing. Marsha Doble
- The word ‘aerobics’ came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we’re going to charge $10 an hour, we can’t call it ‘jumping up and down.’ Rita Rudner
- I exercised once, but found I was allergic to it. My skin flushed and my heart raced. I got sweaty and short of breath. Very dangerous. Anonymous
- The most annoying are those people in exceptionally good shape at the gym. I’m like ‘What are you doing here? You’re done. Jim Gaffigan
- I’m 99% sure no one would run marathons if they weren’t allowed to talk about running marathons. Mike Vanatta
- I consider my refusal to go to the gym today as resistance training. Author Unknown
- Doctor to patient: What fits your busy schedule better, exercising one hour a day or being dead 24 hours a day? Randy Glasbergen
- If these bicep peaks were any bigger I’d have snow on them. Anonymous
- When I feel like exercising I just lie down until the feeling goes away. Robert M. Hutchins
- My doctor recently told me that jogging could add years to my life. I think he was right. I feel ten years older already. Milton Berle
- My favorite exercise at the gym would probably be judging. Anonymous
- The difference between try and triumph is a little ‘umph’. Unknown
- If you’re capable of sending a legible text message between sets, you probably aren’t working hard enough. Dave Tate
- My idea of exercise is a good brisk sit. Phyllis Diller
- I like long walks, especially when they’re taken by people who annoy me. Fred Allen
- Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder but don’t nobody want to lift heavy ass weights! Ronnie Coleman
- If it weren’t for the fact that the TV set and the refrigerator are so far apart, some of us wouldn’t get any exercise at all. Joey Adams
- Gym Rule #1: If you want to know the correct way to perform an exercise, the answer is: Whatever hurts most. Jason Love
- I really don’t think I need buns of steel. I’d be happier with buns of cinnamon. Ellen DeGeneres
- I don’t exercise. If God had wanted me to bend over, he would have put diamonds on the floor. Joan Rivers
- If only opening a Vitamin Water could be classified as working out. Jim Gaffigan
- Are you fat and ugly? Join our gym and just be ugly! Gym sign
- I believe in eating what I like and sweating it out in the gym. Irina Shayk
- The best activities for your health are pumping and humping. Arnold Schwarzenegger
Insightful Gym Quotes
- You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. Wayne Gretzky
- We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act but a habit. Aristotle
- The mind is the limit. As long as the mind can envision the fact that you can do something, you can do it, as long as you really believe 100 percent. Arnold Schwarzenegger
- Discipline is the pinnacle of every successful person’s arsenal. Kaden Nguyen
- The road to nowhere is paved with excuses. Mark Bell
- For me, fitness is not just about hitting the gym; it is also about an inner happiness and an overall well-being. Rakul Preet Singh
- Vision creates faith and faith creates willpower. With faith there is no anxiety and no doubt – just absolute confidence in yourself. Arnold Schwarzenegger
- In training, you listen to your body. In competition, you tell your body to shut up. Rich Froning Jr.
- I was never a natural athlete, but I paid my dues in sweat and concentration, and took the time necessary to learn karate and became a world champion. Chuck Norris
- Being negative and lazy is a disease that leads to pain, hardships, depression, poor health and failure. Be proactive and give a damn to achieve success! Phil Heath
- Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger
Long Gym Quotes
- The last three or four reps is what makes the muscle grow. This area of pain divides the champion from someone else who is not a champion. That’s what most people lack, having the guts to go on and just say they’ll go through the pain no matter what happens. Arnold Schwarzenegger
- You dream. You plan. You reach. There will be obstacles. There will be doubters. There will be mistakes. But with hard work, with belief, with confidence and trust in yourself and those around you, there are no limits. Michael Phelps
- If you stopped while you were impatient for quick results, you would never get to realize how much potential you possess. Lauren Drain Kagan
- Your health account, your bank account, they’re the same thing. The more you put in, the more you can take out. Exercise is king and nutrition is queen. Together you have a kingdom. Jack LaLanne
- If you want to get in shape, don’t sign up for fancy diet this or Cross that the other thing. No, the way to get in shape is to go to the gym every single day, change your clothes and take a shower. If you can do that every single day for a month, pretty soon you’ll start doing something while you’re there. Seth Godin
- I gotta work out. I keep saying it all the time. I keep saying I gotta start working out. It’s been about two months since I’ve worked out. And I just don’t have the time. Which is odd. Because I have the time to go out to dinner. And watch tv. And get a bone density test. And try to figure out what my phone number spells in words. Ellen DeGeneres
- The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you’re a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds. Henry Rollins
You may also like: