What Is It That Drags Us Down? | Famous Quotes about Depression
Millions of people of all ages all over the world battle with depression yet not much is said about it.
We hope the following famous quotes about depression will not only shed light on this mood disorder but also help people battling with it cope better or even overcome it.
- You aren’t a machine with broken parts. You are an animal whose needs are not being met.
- Depression is being colorblind and constantly told how colorful the world is.
- For some, especially young people, irritability is a more prominent experience than sadness in depression.
- Grief is depression in proportion to circumstance; depression is grief out of proportion to circumstance.
- The suffering he had endured lent him clarity, discipline, and faith in hard times.
- Aim high and don’t sell yourself short. Know that you’re capable. Understand that a lot of people battle with a lot of things – depression, body image or whatever else – so know that it’s not just you. You’re not alone. Holly Holm
- The soulless have no need of melancholia.
- Every man has his secret sorrows which the world knows not; and often times we call a man cold when he is only sad.
- Depression begins with disappointment. When disappointment festers in our soul, it leads to discouragement. Joyce Meyer
- Depression isn’t a war you win. It’s a battle you fight every day. You never stop, never get to rest. It’s one bloody fray after another. n
- How could I still be depressed when I was taking antidepressants? I was doing everything right, and yet something was still wrong. Why?
- Not clinging to goals, even worthy goals, may be the way out of unhappiness.
- Depression, for me, has been a couple of different things – but the first time I felt it, I felt helpless, hopeless, and things I had never felt before. I lost myself and my will to live. Ginger Zee
- Do not brood over your past mistakes and failures as this will only fill your mind with grief, regret and depression. Do not repeat them in the future. Swami Sivananda
- Here is the tragedy: when you are the victim of depression, not only do you feel utterly helpless and abandoned by the world, you also know that very few people can understand, or even begin to believe, that life can be this painful. There is nothing I can think of that is quite as isolating as this. Giles Andreae
- I don’t fear death so much as I fear its prologues: loneliness, decrepitude, pain, debilitation, depression, senility. After a few years of those, I imagine death presents like a holiday at the beach. Mary Roach
- I suffer from deep depression, so my only release is music. Kevin Gates
- If you don’t think your anxiety, depression, sadness and stress impact your physical health, think again. All of these emotions trigger chemical reactions in your body, which can lead to inflammation and a weakened immune system. Learn how to cope, sweet friend. There will always be dark days. Kris Carr
- In my life I’ve gone through a lot of really hard times. I went through depression and had so many challenges that I overcame. And I overcame because I just decided to be happy. Lilly Singh
- It is very hard to explain to people who have never known serious depression or anxiety the sheer continuous intensity of it. There is no off switch. Matt Haig
- It’s often difficult for those who are lucky enough to have never experienced what true depression is to imagine a life of complete hopelessness, emptiness and fear. Susan Polis Schutz
- I’ve always liked depressing music because a lot of times, listening to it when you’re down can actually make you feel less depressed. Also, even though a person may have problems with depression, sometimes you can actually be kind of comfortable in that space because you know how to operate within it. Chris Cornell
- I have had to experience so much stupidity, so many vices, so much error, so much nausea, disillusionment and sorrow, just in order to become a child again and begin anew. I had to experience despair, I had to sink to the greatest mental depths, to thoughts of suicide, in order to experience grace.
- Only those with skin as thick as elephant hide can hope to sail through their teens unscathed by self-doubt and bouts of depression. Mariella Frostrup
- Our Generation has had no Great war, no Great Depression. Our war is spiritual. Our depression is our lives. Chuck Palahniuk
- People talk about physical fitness, but mental health is equally important. I see people suffering, and their families feel a sense of shame about it, which doesn’t help. One needs support and understanding. I am now working on an initiative to create awareness about anxiety and depression and help people. Deepika Padukone
- People who fail to use their emotional intelligence skills are more likely to turn to other, less effective means of managing their mood. They are twice as likely to experience anxiety, depression, substance abuse, and even thoughts of suicide. Travis Bradberry
- Recession is when a neighbor loses his job. Depression is when you lose yours. Ronald Reagan
- Some days, 24 hours is too much to stay put in, so I take the day hour by hour, moment by moment. I break the task, the challenge, the fear into small, bite-size pieces. I can handle a piece of fear, depression, anger, pain, sadness, loneliness, illness. I actually put my hands up to my face, one next to each eye, like blinders on a horse. Regina Brett
- That’s the thing about depression: A human being can survive almost anything, as long as she sees the end in sight. But depression is so insidious, and it compounds daily, that it’s impossible to ever see the end. The fog is like a cage without a key. Elizabeth Wurtzel
- The deepest fear we have, ‘the fear beneath all fears,’ is the fear of not measuring up, the fear of judgment. It’s this fear that creates the stress and depression of everyday life. Tullian Tchividjian
- We live in a society bloated with data yet starved for wisdom. We’re connected 24/7, yet anxiety, fear, depression and loneliness is at an all-time high. We must course-correct. Elizabeth Kapu’uwailani Lindsey
- If you desire healing,
let yourself fall ill
let yourself fall ill.
You may also like:
Click here for our best birthday wishes.