Buddha Quotes to Promote Personal Growth
Gaudama Buddha, or simply Buddha, was a man of wisdom that lived somewhere between the 6th and the 4th century B.C. Buddhism is based on his teachings, but you don’t have to be a Buddhist to gather inspiration and help from them. He sought to find what makes a life wholesome and fulfilling and his quotes may help you understand the broad lines of his philosophy.
I’m not an expert on Buddha. I just gathered his most beautiful quotes and present them to you, along with some of my thoughts. These quotes have helped me in different situations. I use them as tools to make my life more happiness oriented. I truly hope that they will be equally or more useful for you and will help you keep your faith in life and humanity. If you like this post, share it! it really help us a lot 🙂
Short Buddha Quotes
- There is no path to happiness: happiness is the path.
- Doubt everything. Find your own light.
- Every morning we are born again. What we do today is what matters most.
- Rule your mind or it will rule you.
- Attachment leads to suffering.
- be greatly aware of the present.
- If you truly loved yourself, you could never hurt another.
- You only lose what you cling to.
- Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.
- Three things can not hide for long: the Moon, the Sun and the Truth.
Buddha Wisdom Quotes
- A man is not called wise because he talks and talks again; but if he is peaceful, loving and fearless then he is in truth called wise.
- Nothing is forever except change.
- If we fail to look after others when they need help, who will look after us?
- Even as a solid rock is unshaken by the wind, so are the wise unshaken by praise or blame.
- If you light a lamp for somebody, it will also brighten your path.
- Imagine that every person in the world is enlightened but you. They are all your teachers, each doing just the right things to help you learn perfect patience, perfect wisdom, perfect compassion.
- Know well what leads you forward and what holds you back, and choose the path that leads to wisdom.
- Do not give your attention to what others do or fail to do; give it to what you do or fail to do.
- Your actions are your only belongings.
Buddha Quotes about Peace and Anger
- Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.
- Conquer the angry one by not getting angry; conquer the wicked by goodness; conquer the stingy by generosity, and the liar by speaking the truth.
- It is a man’s own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
- Friendship is the only cure for hatred, the only guarantee of peace.
- There are no chains like hate…dwelling on your brother’s faults multiplies your own. You are far from the end of your journey.
- Those who are free of resentful thoughts surely find peace.
Buddha Life Quotes
- The less you have, the less you have to worry about.
- You must make the effort yourself. The Masters only point the way.
- All that we are is the result of what we have thought: it is founded on our thoughts and made up of our thoughts. If a man speak or act with an evil thought, suffering follows him as the wheel follows the hoof of the beast that draws the wagon…. If a man speak or act with a good thought, happiness follows him like a shadow that never leaves him.
- Your purpose in life is to find your purpose and give your whole heart and soul to it.
- An insincere and evil friend is more to be feared than a wild beast; a wild beast may wound your body, but an evil friend will wound your mind.
- Set your heart on doing good. Do it over and over again, and you will be filled with joy.
- Just as a candle cannot burn without fire, men cannot live without a spiritual life.
- Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.
- Those who have failed to work toward the truth have missed the purpose of living.
- The greatest prayer is patience.
- In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you.
- Most problems, if you give them enough time and space, will eventually wear themselves out
- Every experience, no matter how bad it seems, holds within it a blessing of some kind. The goal is to find it.
- To keep the body in good health is a duty… otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear.
Original Photo by Wladislaw Sokolowskij
Buddha Quotes about the mind
- More than those who hate you, more than all your enemies, an undisciplined mind does greater harm.
- Anger will never disappear so long as thoughts of resentment are cherished in the mind.
- When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves.
- He who envies others does not obtain peace of mind.
Buddha Quotes about Kindness
- As rain falls equally on the just and the unjust, do not burden your heart with judgements but rain your kindness equally on all.
- A generous heart, kind speech, and a life of service and compassion are the things which renew humanity.
- Kindness should become the natural way of life,not the exception.
- Silence the angry man with love. Silence the ill-natured man with kindness. Silence the miser with generosity. Silence the liar with truth.
- If you knew what I know about the power of giving, you would not let a single meal pass without sharing it in some way.
Photo by Aaron Burden
Poetic Buddha Quotes
- With our thoughts we make the world.
- If we could see the miracle of a single flower clearly our whole life would change.
- Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.
- Just as a snake sheds its skin, we must shed our past over and over again.
- It is like a lighted torch whose flame can be distributed to ever so many other torches which people may bring along; and therewith they will cook food and dispel darkness, while the original torch itself remains burning ever the same. It is even so with the bliss of the Way.
- The darkest night is ignorance.
Photo by Aaron Burden
Buddha Quotes about Happiness
- Happiness comes when your work and words are of benefit to others.
- Praise and blame, gain and loss, pleasure and sorrow come and go like the wind. To be happy, rest like a giant tree in the midst of them all.
- A man asked Gautama Buddha, “I want happiness.”
Buddha said, “First remove “I,” that’s Ego, then remove “want,” that’s Desire.
See now you are left with only “Happiness.
- Joy comes not through possession or ownership but through a wise and loving heart.
Oringinal Photo by Antonio Ron
Buddha Quotes about Love
- When you like a flower, you just pluck it. But when you love a flower, you water it daily.
- Ambition is like love, impatient of both delays and rivals
- True love is born from understanding.
- The moment you see how important it is to love yourself, you will stop making others suffer.
Original Photo by Filipe Almeida
Buddha Quotes about Healing
- Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self.
- Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love; this is the eternal rule.
- Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings peace.
- In separateness lies the world’s greatest misery; in compassion lies the world’s true strength.
- Every human being is the author of his own health or disease.
Original Photo by Matt Sclarandis
Buddha Quotes about Change
- In life we cannot avoid change, we cannot avoid loss. Freedom and happiness are found in the flexibility and ease with which we move through change
- The universe itself is change and life itself is but what you deem it.
- Buddha said, “Forgive? But I am not the same man to whom you did it. The Ganges goes on flowing, it is never the same Ganges again. Every man is a river. The man you spit upon is no longer here. I look just like him, but I am not the same, much has happened in these twenty-four hours! The river has flowed so much. So I cannot forgive you because I have no grudge against you. And you also are new. I can see you are not the same man who came yesterday because that man was angry and he spit, whereas you are bowing at my feet, touching my feet. How can you be the same man? You are not the same man, so let us forget about it. Those two people, the man who spit and the man on whom he spit, both are no more. Come closer. Let us talk of something else.
Long Inspirational Buddha Quotes
- Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.
- Words do not express thoughts very well; every thing immediately becomes a little different, a little distorted, a little foolish. And yet it also pleases me and seems right that what is of value and wisdom of one man seems nonsense to another.
- We live in illusion and the appearance of things. There is a reality. We are that reality. When you understand this, you see that you are nothing, and being nothing, you are everything. That is all.
- Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think. Suffering follows an evil thought as the wheels of a cart follow the oxen that draws it.
Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think. Joy follows a pure thought like a shadow that never leaves.
- What is evil? Killing is evil, lying is evil, slandering is evil, abuse is evil, gossip is evil, envy is evil, hatred is evil, to cling to false doctrine is evil; all these things are evil. And what is the root of evil? Desire is the root of evil, illusion is the root of evil.
Hand-picked Book Recommendations: