Skills and Attitude | 99 Quotes About Success
What exactly is success? How can it be defined? And what does it mean to be successful in life? These are the fundamental questions each and every one of us is continuously confronted with. Success is generally defined as the status of having achieved and accomplished an aim or objective, the opposite of failure. The dictionary describes success as “attaining wealth, prosperity and/or fame”. Being successful boils down to the achievement of planned goals and desired visions.
Nonetheless, the true meaning of success goes far beyond the common definitions of success, such as having a lot of money, being wealthy, having a lot of tangibles and earned degrees. Quite the opposite: true success in life cannot be measured with the above-named factors. Success is within the mind of the individual. Whether or not you are successful in life is entirely up to you to judge. According to many successful people, success just means achieving happiness, living a more sustainable and fulfilling life while still working hard and making a positive impact in the world. Enjoy the following collection of quotes and discover the path to success and happiness.
Short Quotes About Success
- I failed my way to success. Thomas Edison
- Eighty percent of success is showing up. Woody Allen
- Action is the foundational key to all success. Pablo Picasso
- Don’t wait. The time will never be just right. Napoleon Hill
- For success, attitude is equally as important as ability. Harry F. Banks
- The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing. Walt Disney
- You know you are on the road to success if you would do your job, and not be paid for it. Oprah Winfrey
- The secret to success is to know something nobody else knows. Aristotle Onassis
- Success is where preparation and opportunity meet. Bobby Unser
- Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude. Zig Ziglar
- Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it. Dalai Lama
- Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working together is success. Henry Ford
- The road to success is always under construction. Lily Tomlin
- If you really look closely, most overnight successes took a long time. Steve Jobs
- Failure is the condiment that gives success its flavor. Truman Capote
- The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today. Franklin D. Roosevelt
- Every failure is a step to success. William Whewell
- Some people dream of success while others wake up and work. Unknown
- In order to succeed, we must first believe that we can. Nikos Kazantzakis
- The secret of success is to do the common thing uncommonly well. John D. Rockefeller Jr.
- I never dreamed about success, I worked for it. Estee Lauder
Funny Quotes About Success
- The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary. Vidal Sassoon
- Success comes in cans; failure in can’ts. Unknown
- If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried. Steven Wright
- Whenever I find the key to success, someone changes the lock. Unknown
- I owe my success to having listened respectfully to the very best advice, and then going away and doing the exact opposite. G. K. Chesterton
- Have no fear of perfection – you’ll never reach it. Salvador Dalí
- Behind every successful man man stands an amazed woman. Unknown
- If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it. W.C. Fields
- Success is like pregnancy, Everybody congratulates you but nobody knows how many times you got fucked to achieve it. Unknown
- There are two rules for success: 1. Never tell everything you know. Roger H. Lincoln
- I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have. Thomas Jefferson
- At age 4 success is not peeing in your pants.
At age 12 success is having friends.
At age 16 success is having a driver’s license.
At age 20 success is having sex.
At age 35 success is having money.
At age 50 success is having money.
At age 60 success is having sex.
At age 70 success is having a driver’s license.
At age 75 success is having friends.
At age 80 success is not peeing in your pants.
Inspirational Quotes About Success
- Opportunities don’t happen. You create them. Chris Grosser
- The secret of getting ahead is getting started. Mark Twain
- If you want something you have never had, you must be willing to do something you have never done. Unknown
- The secret of your success is determined by your daily agenda. John C. Maxwell
- Your positive action combined with positive thinking results in success. Shiv Khera
- Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom. George S. Patton
- The successful warrior is the average man, with laser-like focus. Bruce Lee
- I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed. Michael Jordan
- Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can. Arthur Ashe
- Those who are crazy enough to think they can change the world usually do. Steve Jobs
- Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. Samuel Beckett
- Put your heart, mind, and soul into even your smallest acts. This is the secret of success. Swami Sivananda
- Success is largely a matter of holding on after others have let go. Unknown
- Amateurs sit and wait for inspiration, the rest of us just get up and go to work. Stephen King
- Try not to become a man of success. Rather become a man of value. Albert Einstein
- Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Winston S. Churchill
- I attribute my success to this: I never gave or took any excuse. Florence Nightingale
- Success means having the courage, the determination, and the will to become the person you believe you were meant to be. George Sheehan
- The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes. Benjamin Disraeli
- Success usually comes to those who are too busy to be looking for it. Henry David Thoreau
- Before anything else, preparation is the key to success. Alexander Graham Bell
- To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funny bone. Reba McEntire Read
- There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure. Colin Powell
- Success isn’t just about what you accomplish in your life; it’s about what you inspire others to do. Unknown
- Failures are the stairs we climb to reach success. Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart
- Think little goals and expect little achievements. Think big goals and win big success. David Joseph Schwartz
Background Photo by rawpixel
- If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Successful people do what unsuccessful people are not willing to do. Don’t wish it were easier; wish you were better. Jim Rohn
- Don’t let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning. Robert Kiyosaki
- The difference between who you are and who you want to be is what you do. Unknown
- Choose the positive. You have choice, you are master of your attitude, choose the positive, the constructive. Optimism is a faith that leads to success. Bruce Lee
Background Photo by Zac Durant
Cynical Quotes About Success
- Success is simple. Do what’s right, the right way, at the right time. Arnold H. Glasgow
- I cannot give you the formula for success, but I can give you the formula for failure: Try to please everybody. Herbert B. Swope
- Success is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm. Winston Churchill
- To succeed in life, you need two things: ignorance and confidence. Mark Twain
- There are two types of people who will tell you that you cannot make a difference in this world: those who are afraid to try and those who are afraid you will succeed. Ray Goforth
- Don’t be distracted by criticism. Remember: the only taste of success some people have is when they take a bite out of you. Zig Ziglar
- The worst part of success is trying to find someone who is happy for you. Bette Midler
- Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. Thomas Edison
- Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle. Abraham Lincoln
- If you really want to do something, you’ll find a way. If you don’t, you’ll find an excuse. Jim Rohn
Insightful Quotes About Success
- The road to success and the road to failure are almost exactly the same. Colin R. Davis
- Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful. Albert Schweitzer
- It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation. Herman Melville
- The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will. Vince Lombardi
- Success does not consist in never making mistakes but in never making the same one a second time. George Bernard Shaw
- The first step toward success is taken when you refuse to be a captive of the environment in which you first find yourself. Mark Caine
- Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don’t quit. Conrad Hilton
- Ambition is the path to success. Persistence is the vehicle you arrive in. Bill Bradley
- To be successful you need friends and to be very successful you need enemies. Sidney Sheldon, The Other Side of Midnight
- People rarely succeed unless they have fun in what they are doing. Dale Carnegie
- The true measure of success is how many times you can bounce back from failure. Stephen Richards
- Success, after all, loves a witness, but failure can’t exist without one. Junot Díaz, The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao
- If you are not willing to risk the usual, you will have to settle for the ordinary. Jim Rohn
- Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved. Helen Keller
- A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks that other throw at him. David Brinkley
- There is a powerful driving force inside every human being that, once unleashed, can make any vision, dream, or desire a reality. Anthony Robbins
- Communication – the human connection – is the key to personal and career success. Paul J. Meyer
Long Quotes About Success
- Success is not measured by what you accomplish, but by the opposition you have encountered, and the courage with which you have maintained the struggle against overwhelming odds. Orison Swett Marden
- Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. Let the brain, muscles, nerves, every part of your body, be full of that idea, and just leave every other idea alone. This is the way to success, that is way great spiritual giants are produced. Swami Vivekananda
- Success means doing the best we can with what we have. Success is the doing, not the getting; in the trying, not the triumph. Success is a personal standard, reaching for the highest that is in us, becoming all that we can be. Zig Ziglar
- Nothing in the world can take the place of perseverance. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost legendary. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Perseverance and determination alone are omnipotent. Calvin Coolidge
- Keep on going, and the chances are that you will stumble on something, perhaps when you are least expecting it. I never heard of anyone ever stumbling on something sitting down. Charles F. Kettering
- People who succeed have momentum. The more they succeed, the more they want to succeed, and the more they find a way to succeed. Similarly, when someone is failing, the tendency is to get on a downward spiral that can even become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Tony Robbins
- Aim for success, not perfection. Never give up your right to be wrong, because then you will lose the ability to learn new things and move forward with your life. Remember that fear always lurks behind perfectionism. David M. Burns
- Would you like me to give you a formula for success? It’s quite simple, really: Double your rate of failure. You are thinking of failure as the enemy of success. But it isn’t at all. You can be discouraged by failure or you can learn from it, so go ahead and make mistakes. Make all you can. Because remember that’s where you will find success. Thomas J. Watson
- The real test is not whether you avoid this failure, because you won’t. It’s whether you let it harden or shame you into inaction, or whether you learn from it; whether you choose to persevere. Barack Obama
Books About Success
You May Also Like:
Click here for our best birthday wishes.